Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Alternative to a Nexus4

Looking to get rid of my Nexus 4 battery is killing me, i do a lot of geocaching and the battery just gets killed all the time, what i`m looking for is a android phone that is bang upto date on cynagenmod preferable removable battery and a really good camera. any suggestions.
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Alternative to a Nexus4

The KitKat upgrade didn't do much to help battery life on my beloved Nexus 4. It's the best phone I've ever had and I'm in no rush for an upgrade. However, my mobile supplied by work is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and having got used to the big screen, I've looked around to see what's available.

I'm an Android fanboy so that's the iPhone 5S out of the Window. I've looked at the Nexus 5, the Galaxy S5 rumours, and the Note 3. If I had to jump ship now I'd pickup a Note 3, drop the Samsung flavoured version of Android and get a custom Rom straight on it. I'm going to try and hang on for the Note 4 but I'm 50/50 at the moment.

Whilst the Note 3 might be a bit big, and aimed at a slightly different part of the market, the camera on it scores well and the bigger battery could be just what you're looking for. The high amount of PPI on the Note 3 might also be a bit more pleasing on the eye than the Nexus 4 when it comes to looking at your photos or playing around with them.

That said, I don't know what the HTC and Sony offerings are like these days. A wireless charge pad might help you regardless of which phone you go for. It is probably fairly safe to assume that if you're going for a popular device then you should be able to get Cyanogen mod onto it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm still weighing up my options as I am in the same boat and for me its either the nexus 5, LG G2 or the HTC one.

The Nexus is a beautiful handset, just kind of put off by the fact that the LG G2 is better in almost every respect, apart from the design. The HTC One, again trumps them both with its aluminum body but slightly dated hardware and is already showing signs of getting left behind with updates.

Its looking like the LG, should be getting my annual bonus next week so will purchase once that hits the bank.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I sent my Nexus 5 back after a week, didn't get on with it at all and prefered my S4 to it in every way, but now I'm on an LG G2 and the only problem is the crazy positioning of buttons at the back of the unit, otherwise it's such a superb phone, great camera, fast, really nice.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    I sent my Nexus 5 back after a week, didn't get on with it at all and prefered my S4 to it in every way, but now I'm on an LG G2 and the only problem is the crazy positioning of buttons at the back of the unit, otherwise it's such a superb phone, great camera, fast, really nice.
    Stock or Custom Rom?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by _Belial View Post
    How are you finding the battery Vs the S4 ?? im torn between removable batter on the S4 or the better bettery life on the G2
    VIP WOOP !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Gone for a G2 now will report back when it gets here

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    VIP WOOP !

Thanks
    Karma Level

+1 Note3 , I use one , have had I phones and all last android was s3 , the note 3 size after a week or so will feel normal and you will look at I phones and even the s3 and laugh at them. The battery on the note3 is just brilliant. Always felt let down by smartphones as battery's just never cut it but I can do 2 days no problem under heavy use without a charge . With little use I have gone home from the office on 92% left after a days work .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't use the stylus much but bloody handy earlier when the missus was on loudspeaker running off a shopping list and I was jotting it down on a note . Made me realise there's so much more to the note 3 than what I use it for .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.Lad View Post
    How are you finding the battery Vs the S4 ?? im torn between removable batter on the S4 or the better bettery life on the G2
    The battery life is much better than S4, couldn't put a % on it but I reckon i get an extra day from the G2 over the S4.

Quote Originally Posted by AP0ll0UK View Post
    Stock or Custom Rom?
    Totally stock on this, haven't even bothered rooting it tbh.

http://www.hobbyrc.co.uk for all your quadcopter, actioncam + rc needs :)

flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/_Belial/ (SFW) http://www.flickr.com/photos/_carljones/ (NSFW)
    psn / xbl / WiiU : rhwbanz

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a G2 also and it's the best Android phone of its size I have had which include the S4 and ONE ! It has taken me a while to get used to the buttons but tbh I never have to use them !

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Loving my G2 I don't see what the fuss is about the button it'd very natural to me and it make no difference with the double tap to wake I'm rocking CM11 N4 and its sweet as a but

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    VIP WOOP !