Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help N54L with WHS2011 Login problem and more

Had the server set up for around a year now and have tried sorting this every couple of months but get so frustrated and pissed off I end up leaving it for another couple of months before trying again. Because of the problems I am not getting the full use from the server.

N54L running WHS2011 with Stablebit Drivepool installed. Can not log in using remote desktop (to install Plex for example). Can not log in using the launchpad but can log in to the dashboard. Following advice posted on the web I created a new user/administrator but it still wont let me log in and is telling me to make sure I am using the same username and password that is managed in the dashboard. When I check the users list in the dashboard the new user/admin does not show up but if I try and create the user in the dashboard it tells me that the user already exists. If I access the server directly the user is there. Even trying to log in to the launchpad using the original admin account that does show in the dashboard doesn't work. The username and password is definitely correct because it allows me to log in to the dashboard.

Looking on the web this is a problem that quite a few people have experienced with difficulty logging in and stuff not always showing up in the dashboard. I have to commend Microsoft on the stability and usability of Win7 and Win8 but for me WHS2011 is coming across as the worse bit of kit since Windows Milenium. I have purchased a genuine copy of WHS2011 and paid for Stablebit Drivepool for WHS2011 so unless I have no choice I don't really want to go another route. Apart from the waste of money already spent there will be a steep learning curve which I haven't time for at the moment.

If no one here has a solution to the problem I think I will have to try a new install to see if that sorts it. Failing that what other windows based options do I have. For example could I run Win 8 successfully as a server or is server 2012 available as a bios mod or similar workaround. Already paid for WHS2011 so I certainly don't intend paying for another windows product to solve my problem. Don't want to ditch Drivepool and when I looked yesterday Drivepool was only available for WHS2011 but I see today that there is a new version that works with most other versions of Windows including Win8 and server 2008 and server 2012. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: N54L with WHS2011 Login problem and more

Have you enabled remote connections on it? Is your account a domain admin assuming that it creates a domain when you set it up. When you rdp to it do you get a prompt for credentials? If so are you putting the name of the domain before the user name eg DOMAIN\USER

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to liveseytowers

BigBird (13th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I don't really get your issue if it just rdp then make sure its turned on in MY Comp>Properties>Remote Settings

Thanks to akimba

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have you enabled the relevent ports in your router for remote access ?? Is it part of the home group, or other domain ??

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk

Thanks to moonrat

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a similar type issue and not sure if it's related. I can only 'remote desktop connect' when i am in inside my own network using the internal ip address.

If i try to use my server DNS name to rdc it won't let me connect either inside or outside my lan. I get the message: it's because of one of these reasons:

1. remote access is not enabled
    2. the remote computer is turned off
    3. the remote computer is not available on the network.

I have users set up correctly.

i can use launchpad and dashboard in from where ever i like but obviuosly rdc is what i'd like to be able to access from anywhere too.

I can only assume it's port settings. There must be something i'm doing wrong.

MML

EDit:

Right ignore all that, after more research i had the wrong ports forwarded on my router. I now have it working i hope. These are my settings:

Make sure N54l has it's own ip allocated on the router.
    Make sure port 3389 is set up to be forwarded.
    In RDC type in your server DNS name, (eg mml.homserver.com)
    Click on the show options button.
    Type in the name you gave your server (not the DNS name) and your user name:
    for example mmlserver\Admin
    You should then get the windows network login box that you need to enter your password into.

hope this helps,
    mml
    ps those are not my server names and settings !!
    Last edited by muttleymacclad; 13th March 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks to muttleymacclad

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post
    I have a similar type issue and not sure if it's related. I can only 'remote desktop connect' when i am in inside my own network using the internal ip address.

If i try to use my server name to rdc it won't let me connect either inside or outside my lan. I get the message: it's because of one of these reasons:

i can use launchpad and dashboard in from where ever i like but obviuosly rdc is what i'd like to be able to access from anywhere too.

MML
    Sounds like a DNS issue from the internal side what does "ping -a {internal IP Address}" say does it resolve the servername?

If trying to rdp in from external you will have to NAT the rdp ports in your router but also you external ip will not be a static one and may change, to get on to my server from anywhere I using teamviewer free now ;-)

2 Thanks given to akimba

BigBird (13th March 2014),  muttleymacclad (13th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers akimba. I think i solved it whilst you were replying. !

I've yet to try rdc externally properly, but i'd got the wrong ports forwarded.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post

If i try to use my server DNS name to rdc it won't let me connect either inside or outside my lan. I get the message: it's because of one of these reasons:

MML

EDit:

Right ignore all that, after more research i had the wrong ports forwarded on my router. I now have it working i hope. These are my settings:

Make sure N54l has it's own ip allocated on the router.
    Make sure port 3389 is set up to be forwarded.
    In RDC type in your server DNS name, (eg mml.homserver.com)
    Click on the show options button.
    Type in the name you gave your server (not the DNS name) and your user name:
    for example mmlserver\Admin
    You should then get the windows network login box that you need to enter your password into.

hope this helps,
    mml
    ps those are not my server names and settings !!
    Cheers muttley. I think I must have tried everything you mention above but not all at once. Did at one point set the server to a reserved address but I notice I had changed it back when it didn't solve the problem at the time. Was picking up bits of info on the internet, but following your list of instructions has sorted the RDC issue from another PC on the network but have yet to try and access the server from an external connection. Networking can be a pain so was too ready to give up because I'm not that confident with it.

Still dont know why some users dont show up in the dashboard even though they exist on the server. (">

Thanks to BigBird

muttleymacclad (13th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent, glad you got it sorted. there are so many variables that need to be exactly right, it's a ball ache sometimes.

I've still yet to try it externally but i'm assuming that if i'm connecting to the server name, rather than the internal ip address, it must be accessing it externally.

Fingers crossed

Thanks to muttleymacclad

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't realise the home servers had remote web access built in until I read this. I've just configured it on my 2012 essentials box. Hardest bit was choosing a domain name, can't believe liveseytowers.remotewebaccess.com has gone?! Managed to get one and ran through the wizard, had to configure port forwarding manually on my superhub and away I go. I was expecting to have to use something like dyndns to get remote access but makes sense to use the free MS tool provided Happy days

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bit late to the party, but if you decide to wipe it and start again for your NIC issue in your other thread, think twice about using consumer versions of windows (7/8)

I've set up a couple of machines used as servers using win 7. Problem comes if the machines don't shut down properly/don't start properly for any reason, they then fail to boot up until I get a keyboard and screen plugged in just to press down and enter on that black screen that asks you whether to boot windows normally or to recover the installation.

Thanks to Over Carl

BigBird (14th March 2014)