Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Replacing MTB tires for more road suitable ones, a few questions

I saw someone post some info on this a while ago, although I cant really remember what thread is was and search doesn't pull anything up.

I currently have a Trek xcalibur 4 which is a 19.5" frame and 29" wheels. The wheels are standard MTB knobbly type and really not what I need. I wanted to try get a road bike, but the stores around here only stock either MTB in Chinese man sizes (too small) or bitch bikes and it was a real task just to find a store that sold man sized bikes, let alone having the choice of what style of bike.

Anyway, I wanna buy some more street tuned tires, although finding any in China is hard, I am sure I can manage it with persistence. My question is, firstly should I go for 'slick' type tyres or is there a middle ground? I spend 90% of my time on roads.

Second, does the width matter? I think I am currently rocking 2" of width.

Third, do I need to buy new inner tubes for the new tires?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Replacing MTB tires for more road suitable ones, a few questions

Hi,

I know that Schwalbe do a Sammy Slick (semi slick) and a Marathon tyre, but I'm not sure if they do them for a 29`er. You should be able to just swap your innertubes over (why your changing your tyres why not go the whole hog and go tubeless, almost all rims should be convertible using "Stans No Tubes" - though it can be a bit of a pain to get the beads to seal initially, may need a compressor or co2 pump - that said there's probably not much to gain for road use).
    Last edited by tips; 11th March 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks to tips

{{909}} (12th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I changed from big fat mud plugging tyres to Continental Sport Contact's years ago. They make a lot of difference by reducing rolling resistance if your on tarmac all of the time but they can get a bit 'interesting' in the wet. I don't think the Sport Contact's come in 29" though, but there must be an alternative. I've had a look at the Xcaliber 4 and I guess your still running with the original low geared off road crank. Changing the rings on the crank to give you higher gearing will help a lot for road use.
    Last edited by MHP; 11th March 2014 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks to MHP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to MHP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't be so fucking lazy and push the fatties. Much better for your health.

2 Thanks given to BertRoot

tips (11th March 2014),  {{909}} (12th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

ah bollocks! The right tool for the job 'root.

If I manage to find some road tires, is it essential to change the tubes? I have no idea how tubeless works.

seems that Schwalbe tires are available here:
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=20822408294
    Does the fact the tires are narrower mean I will need different wheels?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll need the correct sized tubes to go with them as well. I'd recommend a pump with a pressure gauge as you normally pump them to about 70psi and I can't tell difference from 40 upwards when pumping but can when riding.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks to liveseytowers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wouldn't go tubeless if I were you. Skinny tyres are harder to turn tubeless IMO and you will need to get proper strips for your rims. Worth adding a little tubeless fluid to your tubes though. Wouldn't be too specific about tubes. My Mrs is running skinniest on her MTB until I get time to put proper tyres back on it and wrest control of it back to me as I have got her a road bike now. Can't remember what she has on hers apart from them being Schwalbe and they look really shit on two and a half grands worth of mountain bike.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not going tubeless just yet, looked at some vids online and put off by the hassle, although maybe in the future.

If I get 2" slick tires, the same width as my current fatties, I woudnt need new tubes, right?

Never even changed a tire on a bike, so the inner workings of such a machine are a mystery to me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You wouldn't need new tubes anyway. Use what you have and see how you go. Wife's has standard tubes in and no issues.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

wouldn't using my current 2" toobs be too big for a 1.6" tire, or am I asking a stupid question?

Is there a PS4 emulator for the xbox one yet?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I managed to squeeze my trek tubes in a 1.5 Schwalbe city jet set of tyres :S I think my wheels where 26 though ?

Thanks to CBRboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    wouldn't using my current 2" toobs be too big for a 1.6" tire, or am I asking a stupid question?
    The innertube usually cover a spread of sizes (for example 1.5" to 2.1"), so I wouldn't pre empt a problem. I know if it was me they`d just be swapped straight over.

Seeing as you are still going to do some time off road (10%), why not stick to 2" but go for a much slicker profile. I have some XC tyres that aren't out of place on the road so I'm sure with a bit of hunting around you can find the solution.

Thanks to tips

Thanks
    Karma Level

sweet

now i know some brands I have found a few options on china's taobao shopping megasite, so should be able to get some prety easy and see how in goes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing worth noting is that thinner tyres can be a bastard to get onto wider MTB rims. I had a hell of a time fitting the ones to my Mrs bike and ended up slathering the tyres with washing up liquid to try and ease them on. Ended up snapping a tyre lever and beinding another one before ruining a couple of spoons as well trying to lever them back on. You should not use anything to put a tyre back on or you risk pinching the tube and pissing about having to fix it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got some cheapy ones from Decathlon for my mtb, make a massive difference - especially as they're pumped up to about 90psi! You'll feel every bump on the road though.
    I'll stick the knobblies back on when I get the road bike next month.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.