Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Screen Replacement Cost

This is some info regarding how much it costs to replace a screen on an iPhone 5C. I'm posting because I couldn't get a confirmed price elsewhere.

I dropped my wife's new 5C about 2 feet onto gravel while taking a photo. It landed face down. It'll be fine I thought. WRONG! Screen was obliterated!

I heard rumours that Apple could do the repair in store for around £90. I got a quote locally from a non-authorised non-official parts outfit who quoted £135.

We went to the Apple store in the Trafford centre where they fixed it for £99 plus VAT (£120 all in). Took an hour. While there I bought a decent case and then added a cheapy wrist strap from eBay - won't drop the bugger again!

I found a video on YouTube showing how to replace the glass for about a fiver but seeing as how the phone was only a week old I didn't trust myself to monkey about with it. Especially not after my attempted heat gun repair of am old XBOX resulted in me melting the CPU off the motherboard - lol. Wasn't too bad though, I'd resurrected it a couple of times already before that!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Screen Replacement Cost

if it was me I would buy a replacement LCD/Digitizer unit from eBay, £59, they're only 2 screws and a few ribbon cables probably 10 minutes at most

Sent From TapaTalk
    Last edited by littlebilly1; 12th March 2014 at 08:46 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Screen Replacement Cost

Not done an iPhone 5c but the 5 and 5s take longer than 10 minutes as you have to carefully dissect the parts from the old panel and fit to the new panel. By having it done at apple you have retained the warranty and at that price you had a good deal.

The cheap repair would have involved separating the glass from the LCD, I refuse to do such repairs as the standard is very poor unless you have some decent kit .

I repaired a 5S the other day where the owner had obliterated the front panel and severed all the cables, I advised him to take it to apple but they refused to repair it even if he paid. Ended up costing over £200 because the part costs are so high!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

5c is 2 screws at the bottom, 1 for battery removal then 4 holding a plate over the 3 ribbon cables

Sent From TapaTalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah - I watched a vid about separating the glass and it looked a right pain in the backside!

The other interesting thing that Apple mentioned is that if they couldn't repair it, they'd supply a whole new unit for £200.