Close

Thread: Smoke Alarms

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Smoke Alarms

Currently in a small place that I have been improving. Looking at installing smoke alarms now. It's a first floor maisonette and I originally intended to put a heat sensor in the kitchen and a smoke alarm on the landing. But... I have since discovered ionisation alarms and optical alarms. So... I am not looking at a heat detector in the kitchen, ionisation in the living room and optical in the hall between the bathroom, kitchen and 1 of the bedrooms.

Or.... I could just buy a nest protect.

Any advice?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Smoke Alarms

ask your local fire station they often have schemes to fit free smoke alarms - we got 2 fitted by them for free a couple of years ago and they have a 10 year battery and guarantee - they also told us to ask again when the 10 years are up and they would probably replace them free again

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    ask your local fire station they often have schemes to fit free smoke alarms - we got 2 fitted by them for free a couple of years ago and they have a 10 year battery and guarantee - they also told us to ask again when the 10 years are up and they would probably replace them free again

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Buy them yourself you tight git, how much do they cost £10-£15 - Why should our tax pay for your smoke alarm?

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Buy them yourself you tight git, how much do they cost £10-£15 - Why should our tax pay for your smoke alarm?
    I've just paid £120 for 3 smoke alarms. The good ones aren't cheap.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mine are hardwired into the mains, but not everyone could afford that.

But my point is why should we as tax payer pay for people to have smoke alarms, if they cut back on the booze, fags and drugs maybe they could afford to buy their own.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

FYI - I have paid all my taxes for over 25 years now and I've had feck all back from any of it - there won't be a state pension when I eventually get to retire assuming I haven't worked myself into an early grave to pay the ever increasing amounts of tax I have to pay to subsidise the workshy/benefit fraudsters/MP's expenses................................................ If the fire Brigade hadn't sent round leaflets advertising free smoke alarms then I wouldn't have got mine for free

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Mine are hardwired into the mains, but not everyone could afford that.

But my point is why should we as tax payer pay for people to have smoke alarms, if they cut back on the booze, fags and drugs maybe they could afford to buy their own.
    I think the idea is that its a cost saving in the long run... The state pays for smoke alarms, which equals less serious fires, which equals less money been spent of the fire brigade and the NHS and people who are on the social long term sick after a serious fire incident.

Ultimately if everyone had smoke alarms fitted, then it would need less fire brigade capacity which not only would save the state some considerable money but it would also lead to a fire brigade strike (due to cut backs). This will then revert back to the original poster who would no doubt argue that the fire service should fight for all of their jobs even though they are not needed.

NB gets his free fire alarms, You get a reduction in state payout, Geko gets a new strike to support and I get a new thread to argue the toss. Everyone's a winner!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    Currently in a small place that I have been improving. Looking at installing smoke alarms now. It's a first floor maisonette and I originally intended to put a heat sensor in the kitchen and a smoke alarm on the landing. But... I have since discovered ionisation alarms and optical alarms. So... I am not looking at a heat detector in the kitchen, ionisation in the living room and optical in the hall between the bathroom, kitchen and 1 of the bedrooms.

Or.... I could just buy a nest protect.

Any advice?
    Optical or multi sensor for living room and hallways
    Heat for kitchens and garages
    Ionisation for bedrooms

For the heat, you ideally want one that can do both rate of rise and fixed temp.
    If you can't get one with both, then go for rate of rise.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks to Pegasus

Geko (5th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have an open fire or stove in you living room i would avoid an optical alarm there as any puffs of smoke caused by a draft from a door closing in the room could/will put it off.

Thanks to Shanemayo

Geko (5th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    I think the idea is that its a cost saving in the long run... The state pays for smoke alarms, which equals less serious fires, which equals less money been spent of the fire brigade and the NHS and people who are on the social long term sick after a serious fire incident.

Ultimately if everyone had smoke alarms fitted, then it would need less fire brigade capacity which not only would save the state some considerable money but it would also lead to a fire brigade strike (due to cut backs). This will then revert back to the original poster who would no doubt argue that the fire service should fight for all of their jobs even though they are not needed.

NB gets his free fire alarms, You get a reduction in state payout, Geko gets a new strike to support and I get a new thread to argue the toss. Everyone's a winner!

I don't support Strikes. I support people. You should try it. Instead of being a miserable, cynical whatsit.