Close

Thread: Nail gun

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Nail gun

Guys/gals,

I'm currently building my own drive gates and im looking for a good nail gun, up to the task of firing 40-50 mm nails.

I have a 1st fix paslode gun, but this is too big for the task. Im looking at either getting a dewalt 18v or maybe a air compressor and gun.
    Has any of you any experience in air compressors/guns etc, which is a good buy?

Cheers.
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nail gun

ive got both paslode and the spit gun love them!!! had the old dewalt nicam battery one for brad not as good as the passy, i do like the look and idea of the new dewalt but personal if they where not big gates i would opt for external glue and stainless screws!
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks to B B Leo

TAR (23rd March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pneumatic ones are better in my opinion. Depends how much you pay for one I suppose. Can't imaging the Dewalt being rubbish at the prices they charge although you are paying a premium for portability rather than ability. A similar priced pneumatic gun will always be better.

I don't do much with them so I bought the Parkside pneumatic gun from Lidl. Around £24 if I remember correctly. Was impressed by the fact that it takes 50mm nails and 45mm staples. Similar spec guns normally cost at least double that. Worked very well for what I needed it for. (">

Thanks to BigBird

TAR (23rd March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't want to use screws, want to have a small hole as possible showing in the wood. I'm using 20mm T & G, so I don't want unsightly screw heads showing. I might go the compressor route, as u can get lots more add ons.
    @ bigbird, any recommendations? What do I need to look for in terms of spec on the compressor, any ideas?
    cheers.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are going to be using the gun continuously when doing a job then make sure the compressor can keep up with the air pressure and consumption requirements of the gun. The pressure will be in PSI (Pound per Square Inch) and the air consumption will be measured in CFM (Cubic Feet per Min). The maximum pressure and CFM ratings will form part of the spec of the compressor and the gun. Many small portable compressors have a max working pressure of 100psi. Some nail guns are rated with a max pressure of 120psi. If you need to use the gun at its full capacity (long nails, hard materials) then you need a compressor that can meet the max pressure of the gun and have the same or greater CFM rating.

Another thing to consider is what else you may use the compressor for. If you are buying a compressor then make sure it meets the requirements of other air tools that you may consider buying in the future.

Difficult to form an opinion without knowing what you may use it for in future. Things to consider are cost - are you going to get your moneys worth out of it. Performance - is it up to the job in hand and any future work. Space - Have you got room for the thing because the bigger the air tank the more space it will take up.

If its for a one off job then consider hiring what you need. if you are the DIY type and will have more use for it in future then go buy. If money is no object or if you happen to be the guy who won the £108 million then what the fuck are you doing worrying about building drive gates when you should be out looking to buy a small island. (">

Thanks to BigBird

TAR (25th March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I decided to go for the dewalt gun, as I have loads of other dewalt tools I just bought the body. Thanks for your input m8.
    Cheers.