Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Work place 'bullying' or banter? And should I steer clear?

I'm currently on a 'work placement' courtesy of the Job centre and all in all, It's ok as I gain some certification from it which will hopefully help in my search for longer term employment. There is 12 of us on this course with age ranges from 20 to 53 (I'm the oldest).

It's a 4 week course which is half way through and I've personally settled in well and get on with everyone etc. However, one of the younger lads lives round my way and we tend to get the same bus in the mornings so have a chat before work on the bus. He mentioned latter part of last week that two other particular individuals were giving him a bit of 'grief' which I said at first was just banter and he best get used to it, but realised today he may have a point as they do seem to pick on him. One is 33, the other 37.

The lad isn't the sharpest tool in the box, but imo, he's a decent sort at heart and I think he just needs a bit of nurturing and direction in his life which I've tried to help with along with the instructors but these other lads seems to be intent on provoking him. To me, they're fuck all: both ex cons, never achieved anything in their lives and full of shit and bravado and truly need taking down a peg or two but I find myself trying to be more 'diplomatic' with the young lad.

Every morning on the bus, first thing he says is 'I know them cunts is going to have a go and I'm gonna lamp the twats' sort of thing. That's not good surely. Part of me tells me to keep well out as you never know who else these dicks know and it could bite me on the arse but at the same time, can't stand bullies like that.

After today, I don't think he'll be in tomorrow morning, and if he isn't, I do think I should have a quiet word with the instructor. It's a shame he should be possibly sanctioned for it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Work place 'bullying' or banter? And should I steer clear?

His best bet will be getting each one on their own and "having a word" as they will be bouncing off each other.
    Once they both get an ear full they may or may not back down if not kick the fuck out of them and tell the lad to get another placement.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks to consoles

burner1 (24th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Only one thing worse than a bully..... bullies in packs!!!
    Cunts need a good slap or shaming from the sound of it.... shame it is effecting the other chap.
    Is he being too sensitive or are they really being nasty bastards ?!?!

Thanks to macmilm

burner1 (24th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think he's being too sensitive now. I noticed this morning they came down to the place and started shouting his name and saying things like 'fuck me, you still turning up, you're a glutton for punishment mate I'll give you that...' He walked out the canteen before work and one of them said something like 'where's he gone?'.. I said 'maybe he's fed up of you two annoying cunts' . They didn't say a word to me which made me think he's got a point.

4 Thanks given to burner1

Ganty (27th March 2014),  ivrytwr3 (25th March 2014),  keyser666 (26th March 2014),  Zoots (25th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    I don't think he's being too sensitive now. I noticed this morning they came down to the place and started shouting his name and saying things like 'fuck me, you still turning up, you're a glutton for punishment mate I'll give you that...' He walked out the canteen before work and one of them said something like 'where's he gone?'.. I said 'maybe he's fed up of you two annoying cunts' . They didn't say a word to me which made me think he's got a point.
    Deffo need a severe "talking to", Well done for calling em out as there pair of cunts they obviously are lol

2 Thanks given to macmilm

burner1 (26th March 2014),  Zoots (25th March 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like consoles has nailed it. Mouthy little cunts bouncing off each other and have made this other lad a target.
    Are they mates away from work or just 'hooked up' since work placement. You need a small group of lads to start 'bantering' them, (being ex-cons makes that easy enough), unless you feel confident enough to do it yourself?

Great comment and kudos for getting involved, you just need 1 or 2 of the other lads to do similar and they might start acting their age.
    Seeing as no comebacks from them, you might be in a position yourself to tell them to leave it out and grow up.

The lad is trying, in work placement, and improving himself. Better than nicking old ladies handbags, robbing cars or taking it up the arse once a week. Cunts.

If all else fails, wait behind the bike sheds and give 'em a slap.

2 Thanks given to DejaVu

burner1 (26th March 2014),  macmilm (24th March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes well done for calling them a pair of cunts and letting them know how you feel about the way they are picking on him. Whether that will be enough to make them think twice about picking on him in future is doubtful.

I did a similar thing years ago with a couple of bullies when they targeted a quiet guy in college. Every time they said anything to him I would stare them out and after a few times of doing this they stopped. I think they realised the staring out was just a preliminary measure to me adopting a more physical approach to the problem. (">

Thanks to BigBird

burner1 (26th March 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

give him a chainsaw step back and watch the magic happen

na in all seriousness well done and yeah have a word with instructor

Thanks to Mobileman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for your input and advice lads, appreciate it. Like I figured he didn't turn up yesterday but the supervisor is a good sort and said he wouldn't put it on paper or report it if it's just the one day... doing the course I'm on is actually how he landed his job in the first place so he's been there etc. I didn't mention anything to the Boss man about things as I hoped with the young lad being off for a day and then coming back (which he did today) would make any hassle he's getting to be obvious without my intervention. They've only got to know each other through this course so yeah, I suppose they think they have something in common having been in nick.

Young lad was out with a supervisor in the van much of today so no real issues there. I asked him on the way home if he mentioned the grief he was getting from these two and he said no, he'll try my approach and give as good as he gets without being the one to get shit for it by kicking off.

They call me 'Grandad' which I don't mind, to be expected as I'm the oldest tbh, I refer to them as 'The Girls on the shredder'. I can tell they don't like it but haven't thrown a hissy fit with me yet lol.

Thanks to burner1

macmilm (26th March 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good man !!!! Keep the whipper snappers in line !!!! If you can't, put rat poison in their red bull !!!!

Thanks to macmilm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Good man !!!! Keep the whipper snappers in line !!!! If you can't, put rat poison in their red bull !!!!
    Lol, I'm too old and wiser to get that involved mate. I've never liked bullies since school, let alone with adults. I'll talk reason as much as I can with anyone if they're prepared to listen but we all have enough shit in life to deal with, without going out our way and getting too involved with other people's.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's low and underhand but recordings of what they're doing would go a long way in his favour especially if he does end up lashing out.

Thanks to blacksheep

burner1 (27th March 2014)