Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default bought my son his first car yesterday!

he is 18 in 2 weeks, has his theory test booked for next week, and providing all goes well and he passes, his test soon after.

So in readiness of him passing his test, and hsi birthday, he will have a car.

nice little 1.2l corsa. happy days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: bought my son his first car yesterday!

Hopefully he passes. Had a quick look insurance about 3k?

Have to let us know how he gets on and what price you get the insurance for.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dad, is that you?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

3k on insurance what a piss take :-(

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm in the process of buying my son a car too. Told him he has to pay for his own insurance though. Best I've seen on a 1.2 corsa was £1600-ish a year TPFT
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

A bit of scare mongering a few years ago about how unsafe young drivers were and now insurance companies got the rights to print money really.

Absolutely ridiculous prices to insure a car for the young how are they supposed to come up with £150 a month to just insure their car?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i passed 5 years ago and my insurance was £1200 on a 1.3 KA - i thought that was bad at the time but i guess its even worse now
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the lowest quote ive had so far, this is putting details saying he has already passed his test, stands at £1700 for the year.

my renewal is due next month and it is £170.

it is a rip off for him, but when i quoted with 1 years no claims, and him being 19years old, it came out at £1100, so still expensive, but a big drop.
    So as I'm paying his insuranc etoo, he better not need to claim!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    A bit of scare mongering a few years ago about how unsafe young drivers were and now insurance companies got the rights to print money really.
    I have to disagree. Almost all of the accidents locally are young drivers. One guy has written off two cars in the last year. I'm not surprised because of the way they speed around the streets. I don't see anyone over 30 acting this way. In the past I have felt the need to have a quiet word with them for speeding down the road when there are young kids around.

Two local young drivers road racing a few months ago killed a pensioner who was crossing the road. They were jailed a couple of weeks ago. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Buying the car in advance of him passing any of his tests... hope he passes for your sake

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steiff1 View Post
    the lowest quote ive had so far, this is putting details saying he has already passed his test, stands at £1700 for the year.

my renewal is due next month and it is £170.

it is a rip off for him, but when i quoted with 1 years no claims, and him being 19years old, it came out at £1100, so still expensive, but a big drop.
    So as I'm paying his insuranc etoo, he better not need to claim!
    Put yourself on his quote too as a named driver. It may lower it in some circumstances.

Thanks to DejaVu

plug1 (3rd April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Daughter passed last year (July) and bought her a 1.3l ka @1700 quid on the insurance, the missus passed a month later and was put on the daughters insurance for not a penny more ... I was surprised ... they fitted a box so the insurance can see how they are driving , she can also view this data herself and based on reasonable driving there payment per month decreases

She is currently paying £117 so a big drop in 6 months ... like I said you can look at the data and see how there driving .... gets rid of the "it wasn't me" factor

Thanks
    Karma Level

bought my daughter 1.2 polo 53 plate and her own insurance with no box or no restriction...5k miles a year cost me £2.8k...find out theres no diff if I was the main driver or not..would be over £3k if insured the car at the home address

Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm going to look at getting the box fitted, depends how restrictive it is.
    he is in a band, and when they gig, he may not get home til midnight, so will driving at that time of night go against him..?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I have to disagree. Almost all of the accidents locally are young drivers. One guy has written off two cars in the last year. I'm not surprised because of the way they speed around the streets. I don't see anyone over 30 acting this way. In the past I have felt the need to have a quiet word with them for speeding down the road when there are young kids around.

Two local young drivers road racing a few months ago killed a pensioner who was crossing the road. They were jailed a couple of weeks ago. (">
    Street I lived in a few years ago, I seen a guy who lives a bit further up from me laying into a nova at the junction with an iron bar and I'm like, wtf?! As I walked past he said he's told these young lads once too often to lay off the throttle as there is a lot of young kiddies about the street but they ignored him and they very nearly hit his missus and kid after mounting the pavement on the corner driving well too fast.

I suppose most of us have done the high speed thing when you're young, but then we either tend to learn through a near miss or through a prang.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Street I lived in a few years ago, I seen a guy who lives a bit further up from me laying into a nova at the junction with an iron bar and I'm like, wtf?! As I walked past he said he's told these young lads once too often to lay off the throttle as there is a lot of young kiddies about the street but they ignored him and they very nearly hit his missus and kid after mounting the pavement on the corner driving well too fast.

I suppose most of us have done the high speed thing when you're young, but then we either tend to learn through a near miss or through a prang.
    I learnt through a prang back in 1979. Wrote off my mk2 Cortina. Nothing else involved except a dry stone wall. Got out and was standing there looking at what was left of my car when I realised I had the complete gearstick in my hand. I dread to think what the outcome would have been if there was a car coming the other way. Yes most of us have done it and hopefully realised the error of our ways before causing a fatality or serious injury to some innocent victim.

My point is that many young drivers these days are still doing it which supports the insurance companies argument that their premiums should be higher. They do have the cheaper option of the black box which will teach them to drive within acceptable speeds and no doubt save lives. If I had a black box fitted back in my day I know I wouldn't have written off my car. I can see a time in the not too distant future when it will be a legal requirement to have a black box fitted for the first couple of years after passing the test. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

I drove like a twat till i was 22 and had a major accident. Wrote off an impreza, a van which i turned over, a lamp post and 2 bushes. Drove safely for the last 14 years. Young lads are idiots in cars. Its in the blood. I am just thankfull that i didnt kill the van driver.