Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    DF Jedi Lou_smorals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,375
    Thanks
    769
    Thanked:        622
    Karma Level
    435

    Default Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Hi
    Firstly as I am 50 in the next week I could be officially a "grumpy old man." When driving at night it is getting right on my tits that every second or third driver has dipped beam and front fog lights on even if its a lovely clear night. I am fully aware that a lot of modern cars have daytime running lights / LEDS and I am not talking about them.
    The way I see it these idiots could fit into two categories, these are:
    1) The driver has some eye condition that makes them think its foggy every day and put fog lights on, well you twats should not be driving, at least at night.
    2) The driver is a dreamer who thinks these front fog lights are in fact spotlights and his 2003 Citroen Picasso is actually Subaru in pole position on the night stages of the WRC monte carlo rally, in which case are they sane enough to drive?
    The sooner these front fog lights get broken by stone chips the better
    LS

    2 Thanks given to Lou_smorals

    Realist (2nd April 2014), stevo25 (2nd April 2014) 


  2. #2
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    389

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I thought they were supposed to be a finable offence but seeing loads lately. A lot of cars seem to only have one switch for the front and back so they have both sets on when it's a clear night too!

  3. #3
    DF Jedi cyprus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Destination
    Posts
    4,481
    Thanks
    897
    Thanked:        1,145
    Karma Level
    833

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    In CY you're nobody if your car doesn't have fog lights that are not constantly on. As above, these lights have a separate switch to the main lights so these cunts are making a conscious choice of having them on. What's worst but not as common are the cunts who don't even have their dipped beam on. They drive around with sidelight/fog lamp combo. Do the cunts not realise that fog lights only light up the side of the road and about 2 metres in front of the car? Maybe they do but since the street lights in town provide adequate lighting why fucking bother?

    Fuckers.

    Thanks to cyprus

    Lou_smorals (2nd April 2014) 


  4. #4
    DF VIP Member stevo25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    grim north
    Posts
    3,435
    Thanks
    1,609
    Thanked:        736
    Karma Level
    466

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi
    2) The driver is a dreamer who thinks these front fog lights are in fact spotlights and his 2003 Citroen Picasso is actually Subaru in pole position on the night stages of the WRC monte carlo rally, in which case are they sane enough to drive?
    The sooner these front fog lights get broken by stone chips the better
    LS
    thats my Picasso.
    No seriously front fogs piss me off too, but not as bad as badly/poorly fitted headlight bulbs. That illuminate my roofliner and not my numberplate. Also rear foglights in a traffic jam?? I can see our fucking car, were only doing 5 mph

  5. #5
    DF Jedi greens117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,460
    Thanks
    1,111
    Thanked:        253
    Karma Level
    474

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I hate it when it's really heavy rain, and fucknuggets don't have there lights on?!?

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

    Thanks to greens117

    BertRoot (2nd April 2014) 


  6. #6
    DF Super Moderator BertRoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Poppy Fields
    Posts
    24,086
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked:        2,292
    Karma Level
    2700

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    I hate it when it's really heavy rain, and fucknuggets don't have there lights on?!?
    Fuck I hate that. Dazzlefest. I used to get a lift off a dumb bitch to Newcastle and when I made a comment about the cock in front having fog lights on when it was raining she said that hers were on. When I asked why she said cos it makes you easier to see in the rain. I pointed out how fucking bright and annoying it was and she said my dad always does it. Numb bitch.


  7. #7
    DF Probation MsDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,423
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked:        1,176
    Karma Level
    981

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Fuck I hate that. Dazzlefest. I used to get a lift off a dumb bitch to Newcastle and when I made a comment about the cock in front having fog lights on when it was raining she said that hers were on. When I asked why she said cos it makes you easier to see in the rain. I pointed out how fucking bright and annoying it was and she said my dad always does it. Numb bitch.
    Eh? Didn't you just Thank Greens... and then proceeded to say the complete opposite?

  8. #8
    DF Probation MsDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    6,423
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked:        1,176
    Karma Level
    981

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    To be honest, I understand totally rear fog lights have their place (on rare occasions).

    However I have never found any use for front fogs... In thick fog they make feck all difference except make the fog a brighter and more distracting shade of white!

  9. #9
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    389

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Fog lights work better the yellower they are as it cuts through better - a lot of cars now just have standard 4000k ish white lights for the fog lights so they're not as effective as say a 3000k bulb.

  10. #10
    DF PwNagE dpSparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    7,040
    Thanks
    1,833
    Thanked:        2,618
    Karma Level
    820

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    Fog lights work better the yellower they are as it cuts through better - a lot of cars now just have standard 4000k ish white lights for the fog lights so they're not as effective as say a 3000k bulb.


    See this is the thing that confuses me. InTV's and Bulbs, 5000K is warmer than 9000K which is stupidly blue so I assume 3000K even warmer... yet, in photography, and image manipulation, the higher the kelvin, the warmer the colour. So , if I wanted to photograph something in a city and not have over bearing sodium glow, I would specifically adjust White balance to photograph at 2400K or 3000K....

    Anyway, I digress.

    Yes, front foglights and no headlights = weapons grade cunt. In fact, ANY foglights when visiblity is fine = CUNT.

    Thanks to dpSparhawk

    Lou_smorals (2nd April 2014) 


  11. #11
    DF PlaYa Mr 250's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    863
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked:        150
    Karma Level
    208

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I prefer to call them wanker lights.
    If you see a car and they're on, I guarantee you the driver is a wanker.

    Thanks to Mr 250

    Lou_smorals (2nd April 2014) 


  12. #12
    DF Jedi stimpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The TV.
    Posts
    2,046
    Thanks
    136
    Thanked:        248
    Karma Level
    375

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    See this is the thing that confuses me. InTV's and Bulbs, 5000K is warmer than 9000K which is stupidly blue so I assume 3000K even warmer... yet, in photography, and image manipulation, the higher the kelvin, the warmer the colour. So , if I wanted to photograph something in a city and not have over bearing sodium glow, I would specifically adjust White balance to photograph at 2400K or 3000K....
    The K rating is the same in photography as it is on the TV etc. When using street light photography you are manually adjusting the WB to 2400-3000k as that is the white point of the the light you are shooting.

    In work we have all our monitors calibrated and set to 5000K and use 5000K lighting to look at colour proofs of artwork, different lighting conditions can make a huge difference to colour representation.

    Thanks to stimpy

    dpSparhawk (2nd April 2014) 


  13. #13
    DF PwNagE super mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    hereford
    Posts
    6,082
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked:        252
    Karma Level
    747

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Agreed - I fucking hate fog light wankers

  14. #14
    DF Super Moderator
    DejaVu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    9,136
    Thanks
    1,865
    Thanked:        4,067
    Karma Level
    990

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I too hated Fog Light wankers, but recently find myself becoming one not through choice.

    Essex County Council in all its wisdom have decided to turn most street lights off after midnight to 'help lower their carbon footprint'.

    Now that's all well and good if there weren't potholes the size of drain hole covers everywhere ruining peoples cars.

    I find fogs help light up the road just that little bit better to give a tad more warning. However, I do realize that it may overdazzle some of the older generation with their blurry eyes approaching from the other direction.

    Not sure how much this will matter in the eyes of the law though... I've not been pulled yet.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

    Thanks to DejaVu

    supraman54 (3rd April 2014) 


  15. #15
    DF Jedi Lou_smorals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,375
    Thanks
    769
    Thanked:        622
    Karma Level
    435

    Default Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I too hated Fog Light wankers, but recently find myself becoming one not through choice.

    Essex County Council in all its wisdom have decided to turn most street lights off after midnight to 'help lower their carbon footprint'.

    Now that's all well and good if there weren't potholes the size of drain hole covers everywhere ruining peoples cars.

    I find fogs help light up the road just that little bit better to give a tad more warning. However, I do realize that it may overdazzle some of the older generation with their blurry eyes approaching from the other direction.

    Not sure how much this will matter in the eyes of the law though... I've not been pulled yet.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    You have to be winding me up? You need fog lights on a clear night to enable you to see the road in front of you on unlit road and you blame me because your lights dazzle my old eyes? And to clarify Yes you are breaking the law.
    LS

    On my blood pressure

    Thanks to Lou_smorals

    DejaVu (3rd April 2014) 


  16. #16
    DF Jedi Northernbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Geordieland
    Posts
    3,040
    Thanks
    860
    Thanked:        325
    Karma Level
    451

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I complained to VW a couple of years ago, when I had the lights on automatic it would turn sidelights and fog lights on which invariably resulted in muppets overtaking and slamming their anchors on in front of me then flashing their rear fog lights - the dealership just laughed and said they weren't actually front fog lights but daylight running lights and they are going to be mandatory on all EU cars manufactured from either 2015 or 16 - I now use my lights on manual only and will be checking the lights very carefully when I buy my next car as misuse of fog lights is one of my own pet hates on the roads

    Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    DF Jedi reverend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    2,632
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked:        470
    Karma Level
    389

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    I complained to VW a couple of years ago, when I had the lights on automatic it would turn sidelights and fog lights on which invariably resulted in muppets overtaking and slamming their anchors on in front of me then flashing their rear fog lights - the dealership just laughed and said they weren't actually front fog lights but daylight running lights and they are going to be mandatory on all EU cars manufactured from either 2015 or 16
    The dealer should have known that behaviour can be changed - if you know anyone with VCDS / Vagcom you can do it yourself.

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

    You can get a 12.12 cable from Amazon for 30 quid to do it yourself - again the dealer should have been able to change this for you for free!

    Actually I just read that link - try this if you've got halogen lights:

    Manual Procedure to disable DRL

    This is for halogen only, xenons require the procedure below.
    With the headlight switch and key off, hold the turn signal stalk to the left (down) while pulling it back to turn the high beams on. Turn the key on and wait for 6 confirmation chimes.
    To reactivate them, hold the turn signal to the right (up) while pulling on it to turn the high beams on. Turn the key on and wait for 6 confirmation chimes.

  18. #18
    DF Super Moderator BertRoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Poppy Fields
    Posts
    24,086
    Thanks
    1,208
    Thanked:        2,292
    Karma Level
    2700

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    Eh? Didn't you just Thank Greens... and then proceeded to say the complete opposite?
    Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    I hate it when it's really heavy rain, and fucknuggets don't have there lights on?!?

    Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Mmmmm no you dozy moo. He said lights, not fog lights.


  19. #19
    DF Super Moderator MrTeajunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,969
    Thanks
    2,214
    Thanked:        2,383
    Karma Level
    611

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    I live in the country and most of the roads I drive are lanes only wide enough for one car.
    we have little to no street lighting so the use of fogs are almost a requirement to drive here.

    i don't use my front fog lights on main roads but I do use them on the smaller lanes where badgers and rabbits are a common obstacle.
    as to only illuminating 2metres of kerb in front of you, that may be so in a city but in pitch black lanes they light most of the side ditches and hedge rows.
    As soon as I meet another vehicle they go off unless the cunt coming the other way leaves theirs on!
    in which case I leave the main beam on

    On lit main roads they have no use but to piss people off.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.
    I make mugs, keyrings, coasters, T-shirt’s and decals.

  20. #20
    DF Jedi tiggerbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    100 acre woods
    Posts
    2,186
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked:        201
    Karma Level
    404

    Default Re: Front fog lights are not spot lights

    and on a damp/wet road they cause lots of glare around the front of an oncoming vehicle and make it harder to judge speed and distance of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12th May 2013, 02:33 AM
  2. Bike Lights - 50% off (darn decent lights as well)
    By dpSparhawk in forum Cheapskates Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th October 2012, 07:03 PM
  3. 2 red lights
    By Beno in forum Microsoft Consoles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th August 2009, 08:24 AM
  4. 360 boots but no green lights on front panel
    By spyke in forum Microsoft Consoles
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29th January 2007, 09:06 AM
  5. WHAT do you think!!!!LIGHTS
    By eblaster101 in forum PC Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th August 2003, 09:15 PM

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •