Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Fire TV

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amazon Fire TV

Well Amazon have now launched their TV box - it makes sense really with the rebranding of LoveFilm into Prime recently!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC/...pf_rd_i=507846

Amazon Fire TV is a tiny box you connect to your HDTV. It's the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, low-cost movie rentals, and much more
    • Massive selection—Over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, millions of songs, and over a hundred games
    • Perfect with Prime—Unlimited access to thousands of popular movies and TV shows including exclusive titles like Downton Abbeyand Under the Dome. Get a free 30-day trial
    • Voice search that actually works—Simply say the name of what you want to watch and start enjoying in seconds. Show me
    • Tiny box, huge specs—Fast quad-core processor, 2 GB of memory, dedicated GPU, plus 1080p HD video and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound
    • Easy to set up and use—Pre-registered to your Amazon account so you can enjoy favorite titles and personalized recommendations
    • Instant streaming—Exclusive new feature ASAP predicts what movies and TV episodes you’ll want to watch and buffers them for playback before you hit play
    • Perfect for parents—Amazon FreeTime lets you easily limit screen time and create personalized profiles just for kids (coming soon)
    • Great for gaming, too—Play blockbuster titles like Minecraft-Pocket Edition, The Walking Dead, and Monsters University, plus free games and Amazon exclusives. Paid games start from just 99 cents

Compare to Apple TV, Chromecast, and Roku Show me

Learn more

Amazon Fire TV is a tiny box that connects your HDTV to a world of online entertainment. With a huge selection of TV episodes and movies, voice search that actually works, plus exclusive features like ASAP and Amazon FreeTime, it’s the easiest way to enjoy Netflix, Prime Instant Video, Hulu Plus, low-cost movie rentals, music, photos, games, and more.

Amazon Fire TV combines all your favorite subscriptions and streaming services with Amazon's massive selection of digital content. Watch over 200,000 TV episodes and movies, rent videos from just 99 cents, or kick back with your favorite sports, news, music, and games. See more

There's never been a better way to enjoy Prime Instant Video.
    It's always Prime time

Amazon Fire TV is the best way to experience Prime Instant Video. Prime members enjoy unlimited, commercial-free streaming of tens of thousands of popular movies and TV shows including The Hunger Games, Marvel's The Avengers, Under the Dome, Downton Abbey,Justified, SpongeBob SquarePants, Dora the Explorer, Amazon exclusives like Alpha House, and many more at no additional cost.
    30-day FREE trial

Eligible customers can try Amazon Prime for 30 days for free. In addition to unlimited streaming of Prime Instant Video titles, Prime benefits include free two-day shipping on millions of items, and free books to read each month through Kindle First and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

Less searching, more watching. Speak into your remote to instantly find TV shows, movies, games, and more.
    Voice search that actually works

Know what you want to watch? Amazon Fire TV’s remote has a built-in mic so you can instantly search TV shows, movies, actors, directors, and genres using just your voice—no more typing with your remote to find what you want. We’re confident Amazon Fire TV’s voice search is the best you’ve ever used. You have to try it to believe it.

Stunning video. Unsurpassed sound.

With Amazon Fire TV, you can stream movies and TV shows in up to 1080p HD. With Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1, enjoy rich, cinematic surround sound via HDMI or optical out.
    3x the processing power

From the responsive interface and instant search results, to smooth gaming and ultra-fast streaming, everything about Amazon Fire TV is fast and fluid. It’s all thanks to a quad-core processor with 3x the processing power of Apple TV and Roku, a dedicated Adreno 320 graphics engine, and 2 GB of memory—4x that of Apple TV, Roku, and Chromecast.
    Immediate video start with ASAP

You shouldn’t have to wait 10 seconds for a video to buffer every time you press “Play”. ASAP (Advanced Streaming and Prediction) learns what movies and shows you like and gets them ready for you to watch. The more you use Fire TV, the more accurate ASAP becomes, dynamically adapting to your viewing habits.

Amazon Fire TV arrives pre-registered to your Amazon account and sets up in minutes.

Easy navigation, powerful recommendations, intuitive remote—everything about Fire TV is simple.
    Fast, fluid interface

Amazon Fire TV’s user-friendly interface makes it easy to find what you want. Browse popular movies, shows and recommendations personalized for you right on your home screen, and instantly add new discoveries to your Watchlist with a single click. Any content you’ve purchased from Amazon will be waiting for you in your Video Library.
    A simple remote that does it all

The Amazon Fire TV Remote is beautifully simple, with all the controls you need to search, watch, navigate, and even play games. It uses Bluetooth to connect to Fire TV so no line of sight is required, meaning no more reaching and stretching.

Introducing the easiest, most affordable way to game on your HDTV.
    Pay less, play more

Build new worlds in Minecraft-Pocket Edition, race at top speeds in Asphalt 8, take on the family in The Game of Life, or hold off alien invasions in Sev Zero—a brand-new exclusive from Amazon Game Studios. Amazon Fire TV is the easiest way to enjoy best-selling titles from Mojang, EA, Disney, Ubisoft, and others. There are over a hundred to explore right now, with thousands more coming soon. Many are free, and the average price of paid games is just $1.85.

Developers-want to bring your game to Amazon Fire TV? Learn more
    Amazon Fire Game Controller

Enjoy many games with the included remote or take your gaming to the next level with the new Amazon Fire Game Controller—a dedicated wireless game controller designed to take you deeper into the action. With all the controls a gamer would expect, including dual analog sticks, media controls, and lighted player indicators, it’s the best way to enjoy gaming on Amazon Fire TV.Sold separately.

Learn more about Amazon Fire Game Controller

Stream your favorite tunes

If you love music, you’ll love the millions of songs and radio stations available to stream to Amazon Fire TV through Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn. You can also access your entire Amazon MP3 library, so you can enjoy any albums and songs you’ve previously purchased from Amazon (coming soon). Exit to the home screen at any time and keep the music going while you share photos or play games—Fire TV will keep you updated with what’s playing each time a new song starts.

Make your big-screen debut

Relive memories on the big screen with family and friends. Amazon Fire TV makes it easy to enjoy slide shows, photos, and personal videos you've saved in the cloud. You can even set favorite albums as your screen saver.
    Sync photos from all your devices

Photos or videos you take on your phone or tablet can be automatically uploaded to Amazon Cloud Drive, so they appear on your Fire TV within seconds.

Coming Next Month—Amazon FreeTime lets kids watch safely, with simple controls for screen limits and personalized profiles just for kids.
    Perfect for parents…

Amazon FreeTime helps give parents peace of mind when it comes to safe viewing. You can create custom profiles for up to four kids, choosing the movies, TV shows, apps, and games they can access. Easily set up daily screen limits and restrict certain types of content.
    …and perfect for kids

When kids use Amazon FreeTime, the background color and fonts change to a kid-friendly design, displaying only titles they have permission to watch. The home screen carousel shows their recently-watched movies and shows, and they can even navigate visually to content based on characters or topics—for example "Cinderella," "Dinosaurs," or "Puppies."
    Amazon FreeTime Unlimited

FreeTime Unlimited is an all-you-can-eat content subscription designed for kids ages 3 to 8 that brings together movies, TV shows, apps, and games that kids and parents love. Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to content from Nickelodeon, Sesame Street, PBS Kids, and more from just $2.99 per month.

3 Thanks given to reverend

Ashley (2nd April 2014),  chesser (3rd April 2014),  macmilm (2nd April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amazon Fire TV

Plex is on there out of the box - if this plays everything I might replace my WDTV Live if I can also stream to it from the iPhone and iPad!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks promising, and hopefully as its android it will be rooted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plex out of the box is a great move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not a bad piece of kit. But not enough to tempt me. I do think it will help push the technology though. Another nail in the coffin of broadcast TV.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried to order one but they're not shipping to the UK - I was hoping there would be a short window like they had with the Chromecast when that was first launched in the USA!

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is awesome and a step in the right direction. I think for now though I'll let it grow, which I think it will very well, but the content I really want is not fully there yet. I'll be watching this for sure though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems good. I finally got a decent box (roku3) and this thing is coming soon lol. Only thing my Roku does not do is Amazon prime video etc.
    Wish we had Hulu over here though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pre-order going in as soon as it is available in the UK. Nice announcement.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

The cheapest on eBay so far is 96 quid to the UK - hopefully someone will get some in cheaper than that!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If we can Shoehorn Linux on to it, then I'll be able to run it up the flagpole and push the button on that. Oh and add XBMC

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

8 Thanks given to satzzz

Ashley (3rd April 2014),  beansontoast (3rd April 2014),  chesser (3rd April 2014),  elephantsoup (3rd April 2014),  Goldberg (3rd April 2014),  koola2 (3rd April 2014),  liveseytowers (3rd April 2014),  stevo25 (3rd April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks a nice piece of kit full of features, plex out of the box, voice control , but if like me you use NowTV for iplayer, 4od but mainly Plex I'd need some convincing to part with $100 as oppose to £9.99?

Thanks
    Karma Level

$99 does a lot for a rebranded android box.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chesser View Post
    Looks a nice piece of kit full of features, plex out of the box, voice control , but if like me you use NowTV for iplayer, 4od but mainly Plex I'd need some convincing to part with $100 as oppose to £9.99?
    I said exactly the same thing. I can't justify the extra money over a box that is £9.99 and does almost every thing I want. The only thing I'm missing is ITV Player. If the Amazon box had support for Tvcatchup that would be very useful and could tempt me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be fair I'm hoping the Plex client on this will be better than the one on the NowTV in terms of slickness - the NowTV one is basic but functional really.

Ideally something like you get on the Plex Media Centre client on OSX or the PC would be better.

I'm also a Prime member and the fact this device supports that is a bonus, as I don't have any devices (AppleTV / WDTV Live / Boxee / Raspberry Pi) that do!

Hopefully some tear downs will appear soon - a new WDTV Live that supported the new 4k formats might be a winner if that ever comes along and supports Plex?!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 and does 1080p and DTS-HD which not a lot of stuff out there at the minute does! There are some tablets out there using this already as well as the Snapdragon 800.

http://www.qualcomm.com/snapdragon/processors/600

Snapdragon 600 processor specs

CPU 28nm LP quad core Krait 300 CPU at up to 1.9GHz per core
    LP-DDR3 memory for high performance and low latency
    GPU Speed enhanced Adreno 320 GPU delivers over 300% increase in graphics processing performance1
    Support for advanced graphic and compute APIs, including OpenGL ES 3.0, DirectX, OpenCL, Renderscript Compute and FlexRender™2
    Power Management Energy efficient LP process and dynamic GPU clock and voltage scaling
    Asynchronous Multi-Processing (aSMP) dynamic CPU power control for power-optimized performance
    Qualcomm Quick Charge 1.0 integrated for up to 40% faster battery charging
    DSP Hexagon, QDSP6
    Hexagon DSP enables ultra-low power operation for a variety of applications like music playback, enhanced audio effects, computer vision processing and still and video image enhancements
    USB USB 2.0
    Bluetooth BT4.0 + Integrated digital core
    Display Enjoy your photos, videos and games on large, high-resolution display devices (up to 2048x1536) and even on 1080p external displays
    WiFi 802.11ac3 Wi-Fi for peak Wi-Fi performance + Integrated digital core3
    Publicly demonstrated to 280 Mbps UDP
    GPS IZAT™ location technology features GNSS for accurate auto and pedestrian navigation and Indoor Location capabilities for advanced location-based services
    Video/Audio Capture and playback video at 1080p HD
    HD multichannel sound with DTS-HD and Dolby Digital Plus
    Camera Up to 21 Megapixel, stereoscopic 3D
    Take high-resolution, 3D photos with 21 Megapixel stereoscopic camera support
    Process Technology 28nm LP

Thanks to reverend

liveseytowers (3rd April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Bouché View Post
    Wish we had Hulu over here though
    It is possible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I got hula on laptop but cant get it on roku

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Mama said alligators are angry because they have all them teeth and no tooth brush"

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If it does 1080p and DTS-HD without needing to transcode then that would make it more appealing to me. I'm assuming it will be similar to the Android plex app. Be good to hear some reviews

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

They've confirmed over on the Plex forums it's the Android app - it does look better than the Roku client though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPiXHTGY3SU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCZNsACFJuU

1080p is confirmed working - they're just having to tweak things at the moment as currently it's playing all audio in stereo. The debug logs are showing that it's identifying itself as a tablet which is why audio is playing in two channels, and they're working on a fix for that now it's out in public

Oh, and as an aside - they've got XBMC onto it already too

5 Thanks given to reverend

beerman (4th April 2014),  cloudy73 (4th April 2014),  Geko (4th April 2014),  liveseytowers (4th April 2014),  rookie (4th April 2014)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast