Close

Thread: Dodgy buyer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dodgy buyer

Last night, I listed a brand new Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch on eBay for £100 BIN plus £4.29 P&P.

This morning the item was bought by a user who paid for it immediately by PayPal. The e-mail from PayPal confirms that I am eligible for seller protection and all seems hunky dory. However, there are a number of things which make me feel like this is likely to be a scam:

* user joined eBay 3 days ago

* user has zero feedback

* user ID looks like a keyboard mash of random letters

* 'John Smith' has paid for the item on PayPal, but the dispatch to name is very different

* mobile number listed on user's eBay account starts 07978 2. A quick Google shows this range to be registered with some sort of global roaming SIM company

* two different e-mail providers have been used for the eBay and PayPal accounts

Despite PayPal's seller protection, I have an inkling that the buyer might raise a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute against me and end up screwing me over. There are a number of threads elsewhere that talk about SNAD cases where PayPal tends to side with the buyer over the seller, so I'd much rather sell to a buyer with some credibile background.

I chose to cancel the transaction earlier citing that the watch is faulty, and now wait for the buyer to either accept/reject/ignore my request. If the buyer rejects this cancellation, then my Final Value Fee (FVF) of £10 will *not* be refunded.

My questions to you are:

* What can I do to stop these kind of fishy transactions in future?

* Do I have any chance of appealing a rejected cancellation and recovering my FVF?

Any help much appreciated...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dodgy buyer

I know in turbo lister there is an option to set the mnimum feedback required to bid. This must be in your users preferences somewhere on the site.

Mention to ebay you had a break in and the item was stolen, I'm sure they'll let you cancel all the bids.

Thanks to beerman

drdude (3rd April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't send it. Also put in your listings to block users with low feedback. Contact ebay that the user details he has submitted seems dodgy

Thanks to AD

drdude (3rd April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks gents. I've taken a look at my seller account settings and this is the best I can do:

Block buyers who
    * Don't have a PayPal account
    * Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 1 month(s)
    * Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
    * Have 4 policy breaches reported within 1 month(s)
    * Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
    * Have no credit card on file
    * Are currently winning or have bought 10 of my items in the last 10 days

I would really like to block anyone who has a feedback score of 3 or lower, but the only options are -1 / -2 / -3. Balls.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good resolution... The buyer agreed to cancelling the transaction so FVF all refunded.

Phew!

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have stopped selling on ebay, I sold a laptop a few weeks ago which was new and I eventually got an email from the buyer a week after it had been delivered saying that the screen was scratched and he wanted some money back. I told him to get fucked politely and send it back to me for a full refund.
    when it arrived back it was in a right state, you could tell it had either been dropped or mis-handled. I had detailed pictures of screen and laptop before I sent it.
    I said that I would not refund them because of the damage to it and they made an ebay case - long story short - even though I had photographic and time stamped proof of NO damage when I had it - ebay sided with them and gave them a full refund. now I just sell locally and don't see the point of ebay any more. buyers have sellers over a barrel and ive lost count at the many emails I receive trying it on.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

ebay have forgotten where they came from. Regular people selling their own items are what made ebay grow and become a powerful company.

Now ebay is just a very large online argos that only cares about business sellers - they couldn't give a monkies about regular sellers.

2 Thanks given to flumperino

-G-Man- (23rd April 2014),  macmilm (3rd April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    I have stopped selling on ebay, I sold a laptop a few weeks ago which was new and I eventually got an email from the buyer a week after it had been delivered saying that the screen was scratched and he wanted some money back. I told him to get fucked politely and send it back to me for a full refund.
    when it arrived back it was in a right state, you could tell it had either been dropped or mis-handled. I had detailed pictures of screen and laptop before I sent it.
    I said that I would not refund them because of the damage to it and they made an ebay case - long story short - even though I had photographic and time stamped proof of NO damage when I had it - ebay sided with them and gave them a full refund. now I just sell locally and don't see the point of ebay any more. buyers have sellers over a barrel and ive lost count at the many emails I receive trying it on.

Yeah detector only sells stuff if it's an Ipswich buyer !!! ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if any high bidders look dodgy or if my item is going for too low I just use one of my multiple egay accounts to sort it don't really see why people struggle with this . . . .