Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Drugs mule Melissa Reid may return to Scottish prison

drugs mule Melissa Reid may return to Scottish prison

Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid are due to remain in jail until April 2020

The Scottish Prison Service has said it is considering an application from drugs mule Melissa Reid to serve her sentence in Scotland.

The 20-year-old, from Lenzie near Glasgow, was convicted along with Michaella McCollum, 20, from County Tyrone of smuggling coca1ne into Peru.
    They were jailed for eight years each, but the sentences were reduced because of their guilty pleas.
    They are expected to remain in prison until 5 April 2020.
    A formal application for repatriation has been made by the authorities in Peru to the Scottish Prison Service.
    Ms Reid's father has met Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill to discuss her case.

Private meeting

A Scottish government spokesman said: "The Justice Secretary had a private meeting with Mr Reid.
    "Prisoner transfers are a matter for the Scottish Prison Service.
    "The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has responsibility for UK citizens imprisoned abroad. We have been in touch with them regarding Melissa Reid and have asked to be kept informed of developments."
    The women had reportedly told the Peruvian authorities they were working in Ibiza and did not meet before they were both kidnapped at gunpoint and forced to travel to Majorca.
    They claimed they were then sent to Peru and forced to carry the drugs in their luggage.
    But after they admitted the offences in September 2013, their sentencing was delayed because prosecutors were not satisfied with the details of their confessions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-26910237
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: drugs mule Melissa Reid may return to Scottish prison

If this does go ahead then why the fuck should the British tax payer be made to foot the bill for it ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

5 Thanks given to 4me2

macmilm (6th April 2014),  Mobileman (6th April 2014),  Mr 250 (6th April 2014),  Northernbloke (6th April 2014),  Zippeyrude (6th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Drugs mule Melissa Reid may return to Scottish prison

She look like a fucking Mule too !!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive been to peru. off the tourist track its bandit territory. they should be made to stay there.

if they get to the uk it will be tv and playstation, not harsh enough

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    If this does go ahead then why the fuck should the British tax payer be made to foot the bill for it ?
    Because she are British. Why should the Peruvian taxpayer keep a British citizen who has broken the law.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the British taxpayer is keeping foreigners in our prisons instead of deporting them back to their own countries. (">

Britain is spending £35million every year locking up Poles who should be in jail in their own country – because its prisons are full.
    There are almost 900 Polish convicts in our packed prisons – the largest foreign contingent, according to the Ministry of Justice. But under a deal agreed by the last Labour government, none will have to serve their sentences back home until at least December 2016 to give Poland time to build new jails.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2538897/We-spend-35million-year-lock-Polish-criminals-jails-900-criminals-held-packed-prisons.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Because she are British. Why should the Peruvian taxpayer keep a British citizen who has broken the law.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the British taxpayer is keeping foreigners in our prisons instead of deporting them back to their own countries. (">

Britain is spending £35million every year locking up Poles who should be in jail in their own country – because its prisons are full.
    There are almost 900 Polish convicts in our packed prisons – the largest foreign contingent, according to the Ministry of Justice. But under a deal agreed by the last Labour government, none will have to serve their sentences back home until at least December 2016 to give Poland time to build new jails.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2538897/We-spend-35million-year-lock-Polish-criminals-jails-900-criminals-held-packed-prisons.html

source : dailymail.. LOL

think Polish bashing is the new muslim bashing

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    source : dailymail.. LOL

think Polish bashing is the new muslim bashing
    How the fuck to you see this as Polish bashing. I am asking why should the British taxpayer pay to keep foreigners in our prisons. The fact that Polish are the largest foreign group is just a factual statistic. And just because I quoted the Daily mail doesn't make it untrue. Check out the official figures: www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn04334.pdf‎

Probably the largest foreign group to enter the UK recently are the Polish, so it is quite feasible that the largest foreign group in our prisons are Polish. No one is saying that the Polish have a higher percentage of dishonest individuals.

A few Polish guys come to my mate's garage and in the main I see them very friendly and hard working decent people. Like in all nationalities though there are a few that will give the others a bad name. Comes to something when you can't mention facts in relation to a subject without someone calling it Polish bashing. If I caught a French guy breaking into my shed I would say a French guy broke into my shed. If I caught a Polish guy doing so maybe I better just say that it was a non British person in case someone takes it the wrong way and accuses me of Polish bashing. (">

Thanks to BigBird

burner1 (6th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

First thing I thought was also why the hell are so many foreigners in our prisons (at UK tax payers expense) and not being sent back 'home'? Seems to me, these individuals go out and nick someone's cat as insurance so they can bleat about their 'human rights' if they get banged up and the mention of repatriation is raised.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post

Don't agree with anything you are saying.
    By that logic anyone arrested abroad should be sent back to their home countries for trial and prison sentence.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Don't agree with anything you are saying.
    By that logic anyone arrested abroad should be sent back to their home countries for trial and prison sentence.
    The British government take some responsibility for British passport holders if they suffer some form of emergency abroad, if you are caught in a natural disaster or are the victim of a serious crime for example. Doesn't it then stand to reason that the British government should also take some responsibility if that British passport holder commits a crime while abroad.

The British government may argue successfully to overturn what would have been a death sentence into life imprisonment for a British national abroad. Is it then right for that country to bear the cost of keeping that person in prison for maybe the next forty years.

Maybe prisoners shouldn't be returned to their home country to serve their sentences but if the British government are going to claim a sort of ownership by taking responsibility for their welfare and start dictating the rights of their British citizen, they should also meet some of the costs of keeping them in a foreign prison when they are found guilty of breaking the law. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not in my fucking book it doesn't stand to reason at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk