Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dyn ending free dynamic DNS services

I'm guessing there are quite a few of you here that use Dyn's free dynamic DNS services.

Well - as of four weeks time it will be no more and they will be offering only paid subscriptions.

A lot of router manufacturers baked in support for dyndns.org but I don't think they ever paid a penny for doing so, and now Dyn are monetising the service. It's not an expensive service, and to be honest for what they offer I'll still be signing up as I don't have a static IP with BT Infinity (otherwise I'd already host my own!)

This move will probably also wipe out quite a few botnets (although for less than £50 for five years they'll probably just pay!)

http://dyn.com/blog/why-we-decided-t...free-accounts/

By Jeremy HitchcockCEO
    @JHitchco
    Apr 7, 2014

[COLOR=#04558B !important]40

in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
    For the last 15 years, all of us at Dyn have taken pride in offering a free version of our Dynamic DNS Pro product. What was originally a product built for a small group of users has blossomed into an exciting technology used around the world.
    That is why with mixed emotions we announced the end of that free hostname program today, officially turning down on May 7th.
    Of course, the big question when these things happens is, “Why?
    - We have an obligation to have the cleanest DNS network possible. There is a danger to a free infrastructure and over the years, we have seen mixed results from our freemium model. We have seen an increase in abuse and a portion of users violating our trust, so we felt closing this down was the most responsible action we could take to our paying customers. This is something we have been struggling with for years.
    - This change in the business will allow us to invest in our customer support teams so that we can continue to strive to deliver an exceptional customer experience. For us, it’s simple: we need to support those that are supporting us. Our plan is to invest millions of dollars into our platform and to the support of those using it. In order for everyone to get the most out of that investment, this move had to be made.
    - Our early donors will be unaffected by this change. We promised that group free services for life as a thanks for their financial commitment, and we will always stand by that promise.
    Our free users have been an important part of our early success and for that, we are all extremely grateful. We have offered a discounted rate for those free customers to help ease the transition and experience the differences, which will be significant.
    With the end of this era comes the beginning of a new one, and we’re excited to see what’s next in the ever-changing world of the Internet.

2 Thanks given to reverend

Goldberg (8th April 2014),  raelmadrid (8th April 2014)