Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Stone throwers 'broke' cygnet's leg says RSPCA

Not mainstream news but just a small snippet of local news to further highlight how cruel humans can be, even before they become adults. Doesn't say how old the boys were but I'm guessing they were in their teens. Can't help but wonder what sort of parents dragged them up and what sort of adults they will turn out to be. Hope they catch them and they get what they deserve. (">

A cygnet has been put down after its leg was broken in an apparent stone throwing attack yesterday says the RSPCA.

The RSPCA says the cygnet's leg was broken in the attack. Credit: RSPCA

A member of the public called the charity after witnessing what she claimed were two boys throwing stones at the cygnet and two adult swans as they swam on the river Ogmore. One of the stones directly hit the cygnet and the witness described how the adult birds tried in vain to get it out of the water but it kept falling over as its leg appeared to be broken.

The RSPCA says the cygnet has to be put down after the attack. Credit: RSPCA

When RSPCA inspector Keith Hogben arrived at the scene at Merthyr Mawr near Bridgend he picked up the cygnet and took it to a local vet who confirmed that the cygnet’s femur was smashed. The bird was put it to sleep as a result. Inspector Hogben said, “I am disgusted by this attack on a young, defenceless swan. The poor animal didn’t stand a chance. " Anyone with information about the incident can contact the RSPCA 24-hour cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Thanks to BigBird

macmilm (12th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stone throwers 'broke' cygnet's leg says RSPCA

There are some horrible people around.

I can't even understand why people chuck their rubbish on the streets. Let alone throw stones at a baby swan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I fish in the local Marina and have an 'understanding' with the company that look after it that I'll avoid throwing big fishing weights about (I generally fish with small lures anyway) and watch out for the swans. Pretty well common sense to me, but I have seen kids as young as 6 from the near by estate chucking all sorts at the swans.. I have Margeret's number in my phone and call her when I see it. She dotes on them swans and she's soon shouting at the kids to sod off from her apartment window.

Reason I don't tackle the little shits myself is they know my kids and you know what vindictive little shits kids can be over the slightest thing.

I can never understand what 'pleasure' or kicks people get out of hurting defenceless animals.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

in cases like this i think the parents need a good kick in the arse for raising their kids to such standards. evil little shits. personally... i'd drown them

and let the swans watch...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well as swans are classed as Crown property and owned by the Monarch I feel it is only fair some ancient medieval punishment should fall on them or their parents !!!!!

Surprised something serious hasn't happened due to this tbh, I think there was very serious consequences at some point regarding the death of Swans !!!!
    You wouldn't want to be found with one in your slow cooker at Christmas time anyway !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Well as swans are classed as Crown property and owned by the Monarch I feel it is only fair some ancient medieval punishment should fall on them or their parents !!!!!

Surprised something serious hasn't happened due to this tbh, I think there was very serious consequences at some point regarding the death of Swans !!!!
    You wouldn't want to be found with one in your slow cooker at Christmas time anyway !
    I think the fact it's generally insinuated kids were to blame has something to do with it mate. If it could be proved it was, and who they were it would end up in court fast enough.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I found the above news item when looking for this one below which my gf told me had been mentioned on the local Carmarthenshire radio station a couple of days ago. Couldn't find it at the time but with a bit more info on where it happened I just managed to find it. In this news story the cygnet was apparently shot so I'm guessing it would have been older teens or an adult involved.

I visit the local lakes quite often and if I witnessed something like this and there was an adult involved I really don't know if I could avoid ending up in court myself for beating the crap out of the guy.

Baby swan believed to have been shot dead at Dafen Pond, Llanelli

A cygnet, similar to one found, possibly shot dead at Dafen Pond, Llanelli.

Dyfed Powys Police are investigating following the incident at Dafen Pond on Tuesday. "Llanelli Police is investigating following a report received at 8.45am on Tuesday, April 8 that a cygnet had been found dead at Dafen Pond, Llanelli,” said a spokeswoman for the police. "It is believed that the injury is consistent with it having been shot. "Swans are protected under the Wildlife and Crime Act.”

She urged anyone who saw the incident, or has information on how the cygnet received its injuries, to contact Llwynhendy Police on 101.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In Windsor they have had a problem with Eastern European immigrants coming in and shooting the swans. Taking them away, and eating them.