Close

Thread: Tripods...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Tripods...

So the time has come to upgrade my tripod. My Nikon D3100 has done me well so far, so I might get another year or too out of that, but the stock tripod I have has to go. The threaded connection to the tripod just doesn't hold well, and the legs are thin and flimsy.

Im after something robust, but lightweight, and very sturdy, obviously build quality is an important factor too. Not fussed about a bag etc as I can strap it too my DSLR backpack when im out on the bike.

What do you lot use?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tripods...

Manfrotto, they're a bit Meccano like. You can normally find an adapter that will bolt on, clamp on or screw on to suit all your needs. They're not the cheapest and I'm not sure if they are light weight/bike friendly enough for you but I've never had an issue with them.
    Last edited by MHP; 23rd April 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks to MHP

CallmeGoose (24th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I may have a small one that's no longer in use, kicking around the office, I'll check it out tomorrow.
    Last edited by MHP; 23rd April 2014 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks to MHP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I use a manfrotto at work more or less every day and it's very stable. It's got a three axis head on it - you'll have to figure out the sort you will want to use (personal preference) or you will most likely be used to the type you've got at the mo. Over the years the rubber outer surface of the handles on the head has detached from the core, this basically means a tighter grip is needed when adjusting. The pitch adjustment went really rough a couple of years ago with some scoring on the central bar. I took it apart, cleaned it up and turned it the other way round to sort it. I guess this make of tripod and head can be repaired piece by piece at any time. The whole thing is quite heavy. Have you considered a monopod for when you're out and about?
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a manfrotto here also, to be honest it has not seen much use but I intend to change that.
    Plenty of quick release parts on it and a level which I guess is important. Build wise it seems very much up for the job.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've got a Red Snapper tripod and ball head (with trigger grip).

They are well built and very good for the price, certainly equivalent to mid priced tripods even though they appear to have a more budget price tag.

Thanks to greaseweasel

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the older Manfrotto 055 CX pro4 (its only receiently been replaced) carbon fibre so fits the light weight criteria, very well built and stable enough if you have plenty of weight on top or hang your bag on it I went for the 4 part leg probably also affects its stability but I wanted it to be compact so I could take it away with me and it has done a few trips in the bottom of a suitcase no problem. Used in mud, rivers on the beach and its fantastic.

The carbon fibre aspect is great when your carrying it about but the stability does take a bit of a hit becasue the weight helps there. I rarely use it at full height anyway but I hang my bag over the head to improve things. I use it with the manfrotto 460mg head again for its weight and its compact. If I am honest I would probably not buy the head again as its not the easiest of things to get tight to prevent creap especailly with the 300mm on there but I would certainly buy the tripod again.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks to Little John

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to peterc4

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

peter that looks ideal mate, just what im after. just bought some ND filters, so upping my exposure times - a quality tripod is a must.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just ordered one of these after seeing the link Peter posted above and looking at a few reviews. This is the cheapest I could find it. Its actually a very good price compared to everywhere else I have seen. (">

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-...item20d8aa90ca

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

let me know what you think of it mate when you get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    let me know what you think of it mate when you get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do mate. Said on the listing "Fast and free. Get it by Friday 2nd May". So I called them up just to check because I am hoping to use it on May day bank holiday. They told me I had missed the deadline for posting today so I told them they need to change the listing dispatch info. Anyway it is 1st class parcel post so hopefully will have it on Friday or Saturday anyway. Could have paid an extra £6 for express delivery but the delivery date was showing up the same as 1st class so didn't bother. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Will do mate. Said on the listing "Fast and free. Get it by Friday 2nd May". So I called them up just to check because I am hoping to use it on May day bank holiday. They told me I had missed the deadline for posting today so I told them they need to change the listing dispatch info. Anyway it is 1st class parcel post so hopefully will have it on Friday or Saturday anyway. Could have paid an extra £6 for express delivery but the delivery date was showing up the same as 1st class so didn't bother. (">
    My tripod has arrived today (Thursday) which is a pleasant surprise. Fair play to them for getting it out yesterday after all and fair play to Royal Mail first class parcel post. Glad I didn't stump up the extra £6.95 for express delivery which also had the same expected delivery date of Friday 2nd May. It came a day early anyway. They are the cheapest I could find for this tripod and not at the expense of their service which is second to none. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Manfrotto 055X Pro B, with a 3 way pan and tilt 802RC2 head. But it's heavy. But it's very solid.

Paul.

Thanks to Bilbo_baggin

CallmeGoose (30th April 2014)