Close

Thread: Hiya

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Hiya

Hi DF community,

I've been recently relocated with my family in UK. I'm working for the biggest oil and gas service company in the world. As moving in UK I've find out a lot of interesting things. Since I'm here I bought two raspberry pi-s and I was playing with it running different OS-es on it. I'm a Linux fun since it was born. I even met and have a picture together with Linus Torvalds back dated in 1995. I'm a new owned of a sky+hd box and I'm looking after to see if that is running a linux on it or not. I have a PS3 and some android phones to play on it. Most of the time I'm with my family and when I have time I'm playing soccer and cycling around. At the beginning of my carrier I used to be a cable TV company supervisor. So I know some basics on that part too. I'm looking after to beeing part of this great forum community. I hope I can contribute with my knowledge when I have enough time to spend here.

Cheers,
    Tux

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hiya

Welcome to Digital Forums. Forum etiquette is quite high on the list here, like in real life you treat others with respect and you equally get it back. Contributing to the threads with good constructive posts gets you noticed for all the good reasons. with time your post count will go up and you will have full use of the forum. This has been put in place to stop Spammers,Leechers and generally 1 post users that want something for nothing, they try and get it and go.

Digital forums has been going years and has a large fan base. some actually pay for the privilege and they get bonuses over non sub people. With time you will build up friends and likewise you will be seen here as someone that can contribute to the DF Community.
    Enjoy your stay

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I new member I just wanted to share an observation. When I read in this section at the sticky posts I found strange that as a new forum member I can't see any links from those posts. I would suggest if possible to make those links accesible for new member so they can get to those sections easily (rules&faq as an example).

Thanks,
    Tux

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't start criticizing the forum till at least you have hit a few more posts. there are reasons why things are put in place. Urls and links are taken out as we get a lot of @ssoles on here. About 90% of them are this the odd few that are genuine contribute and become valued members. The mass majority end up in the hall of shame epic thread

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh dear, started so well too!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

Mickey (25th April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

your just cunts, surely it is a fair point?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

10 decent posts is hardly a big ask? I think Mickey has underestimated the figures but members don't see most of them its by far the biggest job on here.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    your just cunts, surely it is a fair point?
    Google is your friend. the majority of new members google for something and it brings them here. TRY IT. then they cant be arsed reading the messages or what anyone says in the threads.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Google is your friend. the majority of new members google for something and it brings them here. TRY IT. then they cant be arsed reading the messages or what anyone says in the threads.
    To be fair am pretty sure I googled something to do with xbox flashing which is what brought me here - then again you may think it better I hadn't

Not having a go at you guys just he has a point if you point people to read the rules and stickies then some of the links in them can't be accessed? Maybe they need to be updated etc?

ps your still cunts

Thanks to prezzy

Mickey (26th April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by prezzy View Post
    To be fair am pretty sure I googled something to do with xbox flashing which is what brought me here - then again you may think it better I hadn't

Not having a go at you guys just he has a point if you point people to read the rules and stickies then some of the links in them can't be accessed? Maybe they need to be updated etc?

ps your still cunts
    Takes one to know one !!

Thanks to blaggard

prezzy (26th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just shared my first impression. I'm sorry if it sounds like a criticism. Of course it's a great forum and it was not my intention to make any negative comments.

4 Thanks given to tuxpenguin

BigBird (26th April 2014),  blaggard (26th April 2014),  Northernbloke (26th April 2014),  prezzy (26th April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tuxpenguin View Post
    I just shared my first impression. I'm sorry if it sounds like a criticism. Of course it's a great forum and it was not my intention to make any negative comments.
    You did make what you saw as a valid point. Easy for new members not to realise that this forum has been going a long time and is probably the best organised and and well run forum on the net. The admin and mods do an excellent job and have things the way they are for a reason.

Mickey also makes a valid point that you should take some time to get to know the forum and some of the people on here before questioning the workings of the forum itself. It's quite possible that by blocking links for new members it also blocks links that maybe should be available to new members. But it may be difficult to change that. That shouldn't be a problem though because when you sign up you are sent a welcome message with the information you initially need to avoid falling foul of forum rules.

Actually well done for taking the time to try the links for the rules. It's quite obvious that some new members don't bother with them or even take the time to read the welcome message. (">

2 Thanks given to BigBird

Northernbloke (26th April 2014),  tuxpenguin (26th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok. Let me reformulate. I understand you have to have 10 posts in order to see the links and that will apply to everybody. In this case just a suggestion for new members there is a menu point call FAQ where you have to start...

Thanks to tuxpenguin

prezzy (26th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It did make me chuckle when you state "Forum etiquette is quite high on the list here, like in real life you treat others with respect and you equally get it back" and then a couple of posts down Prezzy is calling the mods "c***s" - is this a normal thing - god I hate that word.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hearneurcal View Post
    It did make me chuckle when you state "Forum etiquette is quite high on the list here, like in real life you treat others with respect and you equally get it back" and then a couple of posts down Prezzy is calling the mods "c***s" - is this a normal thing - god I hate that word.
    We can be a sweary mob but it's all meant with love!!

Thanks to blaggard

hearneurcal (27th April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hearneurcal View Post
    Quite a few DF members have been here a long time and although never met in person still consider each other as friends. The longer you are here the more we get to know you and vice-versa. With time you can have a fair idea of individual personalities even if you have never met. Everyone knows Prezzy has respect for the mods (he wouldn't be here after all this time if he didn't) and know that it was said with a smile on his face.

Basically, You can call your mate a c**t in the pub but try it on a stranger in a pub and you are likely to get a totally different reaction, even if you are smiling at the time, so I wouldn't advise any new member to try it here. (">