Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Photos The Vampire Project

I am not sure where to begin with this story but we (myself and Mr DG) were approched by someone who wanted something they had seen on the internet but could not be purchased! As it was a different and interesting challange, we thought we would give it a go.

I then spent half my life on ebay for a month sourcing parts for this creation... and then it took a few weeks to make the build (working off and on). The biggest issue was making it look authentic!

The end esult is something that (i think) has turned out quite well and hopefully is worth a lot more than the sum of the parts!

The Case

Spoiler:

The Contents

Spoiler:

Close Up

Spoiler:

9 Thanks given to MsDG

AD (30th April 2014),  ap0c (30th April 2014),  Ashley (29th April 2014),  BigBird (30th April 2014),  Ganty (30th April 2014),  Geko (29th April 2014),  Wario (30th April 2014),  x_Mr_C_x (29th April 2014),  Zoots (29th April 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Vampire Project

And there was me thinking you've restored a 1940's jet fighter.... It looks the nuts, very film propy. Maybe the string on the shafts and the leather ties need a bit more patina but the rest is bang on. I'm guessing the vials are full of garlic powder and silver nitrate?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah does look pretty old and as say wothery of a prop in a film

As with MPH the bottom vials look like garlic but the top ones are unknown.

Also the picture is it stapled on, not knowing the history of staples but would they have been around in the period you are aiming for, Maybe a hat pin or something would be a safer option?

Again the Mallet and axe look like they been used yet the stakes don't, is it like needles 1 use and dispose to make sure you not give them vampAids hehe, splatter the ends in a bit of food colouring to give them the used effect?

Who the hell do you hang out with to ask you to make something like this ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Come on people.... hands up if you did NOT read the title, then the following line and did not come to the conclusion that some Fetish Fantasy was the dish of the day....

I am not sure where to begin with this story but we (myself and Mr DG) were approched by someone who wanted something they had seen on the internet
    No I am over the disappointment, it looks pretty good!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Come on people.... hands up if you did NOT read the title, then the following line and did not come to the conclusion that some Fetish Fantasy was the dish of the day....

No I am over the disappointment, it looks pretty good!
    Lol. Those were my thoughts exactly. I am very impressed DG. If I was a vampire hunter that is the toolkit I would want. Imagine coming across an old antiques and curiosities shop somewhere,, maybe in Whitby, and that was in the window. Really does look the genuine article. Tried finding an image of an old curiosity shop but can't find one with the look that would do that box justice.

Must have taken ages to find stuff that would look right. The cross and the mirror for example really sets it off. That mallet looks like it was used by Noah to build the ark. There is a farmers auction and boot sale near me on the last Saturday of every month with old tools like that. Normally I don't give them a second glance. Now I will be taking a closer look to see if there is anything that could be useful for some sort of project. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the comments, to answer the points raised...

The vials contents was made more to look right than actual super accurate content, what you see is - Top Row (Holy) Water on the outside and two sea salt in the middle. Bottom Row, Mustard seed on the outside and garlic in the middle. (there is two of every thing). The Mustard Seed and Salt (and any other multgrain substance) is supposed to make vampires stop and count when dropped (they seem to have some kind of compulsive disorder). In fact this myth of vampires is why "Count von Count" from Sesame Street was created!

Strangely although the hatchet and mallet are old and the stakes are custom made, in real life they don't look massively different age wise... however I agree the picture makes the stakes look way brighter than the rest. The stakes have actually look dirty and has "blood" stains in the wood, but not seen in the pictures. They also have been twated with a hammer many times so they look like they have been well used.

The same can be said for the string on the handles... the pictures have washed the colour out somewhat... in real life it looks far more rugged.

The Photo (and rosary beads) are actually help in place by pins not staples (again an photo illusion). The pins are just modern pins aged (burnt) but they do look aged close up. When I looked into it, pins have been around for a long time and really haven't changed that much.

Yeah, it took absolutely ages to find all the parts, the biggest issue really was finding a case that looked right and was about the right size. My 2nd biggest issue was finding a bible that was old and battered but not full of sentimental value (a lot of old bibles have hand written inscriptions inside them). I know its weird... I am not religious but I didn't want to use a bible (or crucifix) that obviously had some deep sentiment to someone. Expense is another issue. Finding these things on ebay is easy... but you really have to play the long game to get them at low prices. The cost really tots up in price... by paying (on average) £10 - £15 for each item (plus postage) I think there is about £160 worth of bits and bobs there. The real gem of the bunch is the stack of random (real old) photos (which you can't really see in my pictures)... there is about 40 of them and some of them give me the hebbee geebies. These was sourced on ebay for £4.50. The old papyrus map (also not really seen) is quite good too.

The whole thing was actually quite well thought out. Initially we nearly went with a gun in the case. However, we quickly realised that to do this would cost a lot and prevent it being resold on somewhere like ebay... so we altered it to a hatchet instead.

As for our "client"... to be honest, it doesn't take much to get my interest to take over when something interesting and "do-able" is pushed my way. However, I said I may "give it a go" to see how it turns out. No promises or money changed hands and the person doesn't even know it is complete. Therefore I may keep it... or indeed at least I think it is now worth may more than the £160 spent on it? After all it is something you cannot just buy anywhere?

2 Thanks given to MsDG

akimba (1st May 2014),  Zoots (30th April 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post

Strangely although the hatchet and mallet are old and the stakes are custom made, in real life they don't look massively different age wise... however I agree the picture makes the stakes look way brighter than the rest. The stakes have actually look dirty and has "blood" stains in the wood, but not seen in the pictures. They also have been twated with a hammer many times so they look like they have been well used.

The same can be said for the string on the handles... the pictures have washed the colour out somewhat... in real life it looks far more rugged.

The whole thing was actually quite well thought out. Initially we nearly went with a gun in the case. However, we quickly realised that to do this would cost a lot and prevent it being resold on somewhere like ebay... so we altered it to a hatchet instead.
    The stakes shouldn't look as old as the rest of the stuff. The same mallet is reused but the stakes are not. You have to leave the stake in the vampire's ribcage or it could regenerate, unless it is a centuries old vampire where even the bones turn to dust when staked and the ages past catch up with it.

A gun would be no use against a vampire anyway and the hatchet is essential for cutting off a vampire's head. I suppose the gun may be useful to deal with the vampire's human assistant (they all need one to protect them during daylight hours and carry out essential tasks such as daytime transportation when relocating for example). I used to do that job but the pay was shit and he was a right fecking count to work for when he was in a bad mood. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I used to do that job but the pay was shit and he was a right fecking count to work for when he was in a bad mood. (">
    the tumbleweeds a blowing :-0