Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2014 The age of advanced technology and some design engineers still cant get it right

Finally ordered a combi microwave. Wanted a reasonably large one so went for a Daewoo 28L which had good reviews and had all the functions I need. Price was excellent at £90 with CO-OP Electrical online (£100 with Amazon and even more expensive elsewhere). Arrived today so decided to try it right away with a cup of water. Noticed the turntabe was hesitating at some points as it was going round and there was a vibrating/friction sound. Upon investigation I found the turntable is rubbing against the back wall.

Its a large 32cm glass turntable and there is a small dimple in the sloping bevel of the back wall to accomodate its large size. From what I can see there is a very slight warp in the glass turntable which is causing it to rub on the sloping bevel. The warp is so slight you wouldn't even notice if it wasn't rubbing

What sort of engineer designs something that doesnt allow any room for a slight difference in manufacturing tolerances. It really would not make a difference at all if that large glass turntable was 5mm smaller. When I was a design engineer in the motor industry I would always allow for manufacturing tolerances... plus a bit more if it didn't affect the performance of the part. I would always get the customers approval for this (Honda, Rover, Jaguar, etc.) It saved a lot of problems for us and the customer and kept customer returns to a minimum.

Spoke to Daewoo and they said they would pass my advice on to their design department and also offered to send out a new glass turntable. At that point I had not told them that I thought the turntable was warped so I'm guessing they have had this problem before, although they say they haven't. Decided instead to contact CO-OP just in case the back wall is also out of tolerance and the replacement is arriving tomorrow by special delivery at no cost to myself. So well done the CO-OP for excellent customer service. (">

The turntable inside the oven:

The dimple to accomodate the large 32cm plate:

Its a large turntable anyway so 5mm less would not make a difference to the performance or usability of the oven:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2014 The age of advanced technology and some design engineers still cant get it r

The glass turn table is probably used in something else they produce and as such using the same one would reduce costs considerably. Everything now days is about cost.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2014 The age of advanced technology and some design engineers still cant get it r

Has it been a quiet day ???????????

6 Thanks given to macmilm

BigBird (2nd May 2014),  chesser (2nd May 2014),  greens117 (3rd May 2014),  ivrytwr3 (3rd May 2014),  Robbo (14th May 2014),  Wizzo (3rd May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Soulassassin View Post
    The glass turn table is probably used in something else they produce and as such using the same one would reduce costs considerably. Everything now days is about cost.
    Why not make the recess in the back panel bigger then because that would also solve the problem. Will see tomorrow what the replacement is like. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm View Post
    Has it been a quiet day ???????????
    No, but it's been a frustrating day. Hate having to waste time on the phone to customer services. There was a time things were tested before they left the factory. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

What frustrates me more is the bloody plates never stay in place! It is more down to the rollers underneath..
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

*You spin me right round, baby

right round like a record, baby
    Right round round round
    You spin me right round, baby
    Right round like a record, baby
    Right round round round

sorry couldnt help myself, however nice results from customer services
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm still deciding if this belongs in the Whine Cellar or the HOS.
    It's a Microwave, let the missus worry about it!!

3 Thanks given to DejaVu

ivrytwr3 (3rd May 2014),  littlebilly1 (3rd May 2014),  Robbo (14th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    It is electrical, she won't have a clue!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I had a glass eye, it would be asleep right now.

6 Thanks given to rIKmAN

4me2 (3rd May 2014),  I Black Belt (3rd May 2014),  ivrytwr3 (3rd May 2014),  littlebilly1 (3rd May 2014),  Mobileman (2nd May 2014),  Wizzo (3rd May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Thinking about it it would be better suited in the wine cellar, so I would be greatful if you would do the honours mate. (">

Thanks to BigBird

DejaVu (2nd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    What sort of engineer designs something that doesnt allow any room for a slight difference in manufacturing tolerances.
    The problem is bigger than this I reckon.

I'm not an engineer, but to me it seems like things are going like this:

In the old days, engineers realised they didn't know everything, and manufacturing wasn't precise so everything was over-engineered. This is why you had products that potentially lasted a long time.

Now engineers think they know everything and manufacturing is perfect. Therefore rather than over-engineer, everything is engineered as basic and cheap as possible with anything that may cause extra cost only added if the engineers can conclusively prove the device would be useless without it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you find most of the time engineers do take in consideration manufacturing tolerances but what you have probably have here is a defect part which is probably nowhere near drawing dimensions. Happens a lot when you use shitty far eastern suppliers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Replacement arrived half an hour ago dead on time. As soon as had the microwave out of the box and took the plastic wrapping off I thought 'for fucks sake'.

The top front panel is badly buckled so is preventing the door from closing. The only way I can see this has happened is if the box had been stored on its side with a lot of weight on top causing the metal to buckle outwards. The box is undamaged and so is the outer cover of the microwave, but cardboard gives and the outer cover is flat in that direction so would have flexed without buckling. The damaged section folds to form a U profile which gives it rigidity but will buckle rather than flex if pushed beyond the weight it can handle.

There is no way it would have passed final inspection and packing unless they use blind staff wearing thick welding gloves. A couple of reviews I read have said the door wouldn't close because the panel was warped. My guess is that they are shipping these on their side to get more on a pallet and storing two or even three pallets on top of each other. Could also be when the forklift is lowering one pallet on top of another if the driver wasn't careful enough.

Took me ages to find a microwave with the right features, size, colour and at a reasonable price so I'm giving them one last chance. The replacement is arriving on Wednesday. If you don't hear from me by Wednesday night visit the Welsh news online for an update. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

See you on crime watch then..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks to aloogobee

BigBird (3rd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Chicago Town Pizza & Micro Chips for you tonight !!!!!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

£90 for a fucking microwave, Are you mental?

Sent From TapaTalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by littlebilly1 View Post
    £90 for a fucking microwave, Are you mental?
    Yes I know it is cheap. Should have bitten the bullet and paid £280 for the other make/model that suited my needs. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been using Combis since they first appeared, brilliant. The best I've ever had is my current one. . .the reason? no turntable bollocks, apart from anything else it makes best use of the available space. . .
    I've always bought at the top of the market though. .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

BigBird (3rd May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I've been using Combis since they first appeared, brilliant. The best I've ever had is my current one. . .the reason? no turntable bollocks, apart from anything else it makes best use of the available space. . .
    I've always bought at the top of the market though. .
    Thanks blaggard. Thinking of calling the CO-OP and telling them not to bother with the replacement. Think I may bite the bullet and go for this one. I like the idea of no turntable which would allow the uses of square dishes and it also has shelves so if grilling you can get the food closer to the grill. Not that distance from the grill should be much of an issue as its halogen anyway. (">

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...microwave-oven

Edit: @blaggard. What make model do you currently have? (">

Edit 2: Have now cancelled the replacement. (">
    Last edited by BigBird; 3rd May 2014 at 02:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast