Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Newbie Hello to Digital Forums

Greetings All.

I'm here as a result of a text search "hack modem forum", so if anyone is interested in the SEO and results and what keyword searches bring traffic to the site, that's how I got here.

I'm here (sort of) from "sbhacker) forum, which I joined yesterday, but they require paid membership in order to post and ask questions. I found that forum from watching a YouTube video from one of the DefCons named something like "hacking modems for fun and profit", but when I got there (to sbhacker) from what I've read either modem hacking is "dead", they consider modem hacking to be immoral, illegal, fattening and unethical, both, or whatever. Wasn't going to pay to rub elbows with people that couldn't seem to decide which side of the fence they were on.

My purpose here is to find out what options are available to me with regard to my ISP (Baja Broadband). We have a vacation home there and I do not appreciate the predatory pricing system they have set-up, and am looking for alternative and options. I've got a long history of forum participation, and in general once I've established myself on a forum I remain there long term. So I'm not a "wham, bam, thank-you ma'am" Member, looking to be spoon-fed for one particular purpose and then I'm gone forever. I also have along history of exploration and research into (let's call them) "alternative perspectives" with regard to computers, computing, etc... No expert, but in general once I set-out to do something or figure something out, I usually get where I'm going.

And I have something to give back. Glad to help others. I am good with computer repair, malware removal, Search Engine Optimization (with heavy emphasis on Local), Internet Marketing, and a wide range of odd skills and knowledge. 90% of what I've learned since High School and College has been acquired through forums just like this one, I have an appropriate sense of gratitude for that knowledge, and a desire to give back some of what I've gained to others. Just ask.

My immediate purpose here is to request some general direction. Obviously, read the forum posts, etc... but any help in refining that down a bit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to be here.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hello to Digital Forums

You need to read your welcome Message, you have not given an honest answer to your 'Location' question which normally results in an instant ban but your intro is so good you're still here, welcome....DO read that message and rules pertaining to sections of interest...
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi M7a6wGst. Very good intro. Welcome to Digital Forums. May your stay here be a long and pleasant one. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am the OP of this thread, under a new account I just created. A while ago I logged in, got some kind of fast pop-up from the "Bald Bouncer" and I saw a bit that said I had received an infraction and no direct information from the forum besides that. After some research it seems the "location" is a big deal here. Very odd. But okay. But then, define "location". Country? County? City? Street Address? Which room I'm in, in the house? The color of my underwear? Is it where I live, where I'm at currently. What if I'm at work? What if I'm on vacation? What if I'm travelling in a car? Do you want real-time GPS coordinates?

Why is location such a big deal? What if I say USA but my VPN is in Turkey? Do Forum Staff cross-reference incoming IP Addresses with the location listed in the profile and if they are different, does the Member get banned? Disciplined? Infracted?

Very odd place you-all have here.

Anyways, I'm in San Antonio, Texas, USA if you must know. But it makes me feel kind of creeped-out on several different levels.

So, am I banned? If the location is such a big deal, why doesn't the question give some hint of the dire consequences that might happen if a new user fails to give an "honest answer". Does this forum REALLY want to filter out everyone but the blind sheep that obediently hand-out information to "just anyone" and on demand, with "SURPRISE!" consequences to those that have a bit of common sense and caution. How do I know this whole website isn't a cover operation for the NSA, looking to deliver information on anyone that comes here looking to possibly circumvent Big Media's "security" and undermine their illegal monopolies, to the appropriate paid-for Law Enforcement and/or the regional monopoly cable company for scrutiny and possible legal action.

I just think the whole thing is stupid. Maybe the intent was good, but as many libertarians understand, anytime one seeks to exert social controls on a population, there are always going to be unintended consequences that eventually serve to subvert and undermine the original intent, which in this case is to exclude anyone that might have a clue about what's happening to God-given electronic rights to privacy, and how they are being sacrificed to satisfy the idle curiosity of the retarded majority. What's my "location"? It's outside of this system, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all anyone really needs to know.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shontell304 View Post
    I am the OP of this thread, under a new account I just created. A while ago I logged in, got some kind of fast pop-up from the "Bald Bouncer" and I saw a bit that said I had received an infraction and no direct information from the forum besides that. After some research it seems the "location" is a big deal here. Very odd. But okay. But then, define "location". Country? County? City? Street Address? Which room I'm in, in the house? The color of my underwear? Is it where I live, where I'm at currently. What if I'm at work? What if I'm on vacation? What if I'm travelling in a car? Do you want real-time GPS coordinates?

Why is location such a big deal? What if I say USA but my VPN is in Turkey? Do Forum Staff cross-reference incoming IP Addresses with the location listed in the profile and if they are different, does the Member get banned? Disciplined? Infracted?

Anyways, I'm in San Antonio, Texas, USA if you must know. But it makes me feel kind of creeped-out on several different levels.

So, am I banned? If the location is such a big deal, why doesn't the question give some hint of the dire consequences that might happen if a new user fails to give an "honest answer". Does this forum REALLY want to filter out everyone but the blind sheep that obediently hand-out information to "just anyone" and on demand, with "SURPRISE!" consequences to those that have a bit of common sense and caution. How do I know this whole website isn't a cover operation for the NSA, looking to deliver information on anyone that comes here looking to possibly circumvent Big Media's "security" and undermine their illegal monopolies, to the appropriate paid-for Law Enforcement and/or the regional monopoly cable company for scrutiny and possible legal action.

I just think the whole thing is stupid. Maybe the intent was good, but as many libertarians understand, anytime one seeks to exert social controls on a population, there are always going to be unintended consequences that eventually serve to subvert and undermine the original intent, which in this case is to exclude anyone that might have a clue about what's happening to God-given electronic rights to privacy, and how they are being sacrificed to satisfy the idle curiosity of the retarded majority. What's my "location"? It's outside of this system, and as far as I'm concerned, that's all anyone really needs to know.
    You were not banned, it was me who pointed out that you had entered a false location but you were NOT banned. . .NOW you are banned because you made a duplicate account, we have better things to do than cater to your little hissy fit.
    You originally had your location set as 'somewhere' in our experience people who lie about or disguise their location are usually spammers or leeches.. .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

god you think we get a good one then they wanna preach that were so odd they felt the need to rejoin lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

So now we're scaring off new members who do actually bother to make an effort?

Does not bode well

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino View Post
    So now we're scaring off new members who do actually bother to make an effort?

Does not bode well
    i can see both sides tbh was cracking first post but then spat dummy a bit, id hate to mod tbh at moment on a few forums i visit as seems whole world has decided its owed something ?

Thanks to Mobileman

blaggard (7th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

He made his own bed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shontell304 View Post

Two words..

"mountain" "molehill"

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think with your hissy fits you are real DF Material. As you got past out manual filter (Blaggard) I will leave you for the time being. Lets see if you can contribute to DF in the next few posts.

too much wall of text

Read your message when you registered

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by m7a6wGst View Post
    Greetings All.

I'm here as a result of a text search "hack modem forum", so if anyone is interested in the SEO and results and what keyword searches bring traffic to the site, that's how I got here.

My purpose here is to find out what options are available to me with regard to my ISP (Baja Broadband). We have a vacation home there and I do not appreciate the predatory pricing system they have set-up, and am looking for alternative and options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shontell304 (m7a6wGst) View Post
    How do I know this whole website isn't a cover operation for the NSA, looking to deliver information on anyone that comes here looking to possibly circumvent Big Media's "security" and undermine their illegal monopolies, to the appropriate paid-for Law Enforcement and/or the regional monopoly cable company for scrutiny and possible legal action.

I also have along history of exploration and research into (let's call them) "alternative perspectives" with regard to computers, computing, etc... No expert, but in general once I set-out to do something or figure something out, I usually get where I'm going.

I just think the whole thing is stupid.
    Let me try and understand this.
    You are paranoid about stating your location as 'USA' which is a very big place, because as far as you know this site could be a cover operation for the NSA. Yet you have come here with your very first post admitting to the world that you are looking to hack your modem and that your ISP is Baja Broadband. You also say you have a long history of research into 'alternative perspectives'. If this site was a cover operation we would now have your real name, full address and be monitoring your connection very closely before eventually paying you a visit because who knows what other 'alternative perspectives' we might find.

That's the thing with overly paranoid people. They spend so much effort trying to cover their tracks and when they think they are safe they cant wait to tell everyone, even strangers, what they are up to. (">

Thanks to BigBird

blaggard (8th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This guy started a second account after being banned by another member of staff. . .for some reason it wasn't and is still NOT showing as banned here. When I came back in having posted the first warning about location I saw his second identity and banned it, that is a clear ban full stop. I also infracted the first identity which now holds two permanent infractions, like I say it is not showing. . .
    He clearly has issues, was given a chance (reluctantly, I was less than keen oh is SEO comments) but he blew it.

Thanks to blaggard

BigBird (8th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    This guy started a second account after being banned by another member of staff. . .for some reason it wasn't and is still NOT showing as banned here. When I came back in having posted the first warning about location I saw his second identity and banned it, that is a clear ban full stop. I also infracted the first identity which now holds two permanent infractions, like I say it is not showing. . .
    He clearly has issues, was given a chance (reluctantly, I was less than keen oh is SEO comments) but he blew it.
    Ban now active

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

blaggard (8th May 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

American paranoia!

The NSA don't care if you're trying to rip off the cable company. Unless you're a global terrorist trying to bomb the Whitehouse....

Oh Fuck! Does this post put me 'on the list'?

Bothered!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk