Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Netbook Acer One AOD270 Boot problem

This Netbook is brand new and was pulled off display at Comet and was meant to go back to Acer, but never did. Now Comet has gone - fun!
    I managed to source it reasonably cheap because it has a nasty problem, that so far I've been unable to solve.

I'm fully aware of the Aspire One's Black Screen of Death and have been trying to recover the BIOS most of today, but it just doesn't seem to wanna play.

It turns on, however -

The Power light (x2) and the battery light come on, no problem.
    Pressing FN+Esc during Power on makes the power light blink - but looks like it's ignoring the USB drive.

The thing with this is, I think it maybe a different problem as the Lights coming on and the vague hard drive spin can be heard - but no CPU fan, yet it remains on for as long as I want it too.
    The lights are on, but no-ones home. I've tried changing the screen - but nada.

I'm running out of ideas - has anyone else got any advice? My sister's on my arse about it, because it's meant to be for her for her college work - starting in a week or so.

-EDIT
    I'm lying, the CPU Fan is so quiet it can't be heard, but putting my ear to the vent, I'm getting air blown in it for about 2 seconds when turning on.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Netbook Acer One AOD270 Boot problem

I'm not aware of the black screen problem but I assume you have already tried replacing the RAM and clearing the CMOS? Failing that could be a faulty CPU/mobo

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just registered it with Acer Support and given them a tap for a warranty repair. See what happens.
    I know they are gonna ask for Proof of Purchase, but it was a 'gift' from a relative... who's no longer with us - and was bought from Comet in March 2012.

I'll get this fixed by Acer.

AA1's BSOD - But no go for me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHkGkw9EE8c

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you remove the battery before the FN+Esc buttons are held in and usb inserted, crisis mode is only enabled when running from dc power only

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by big3card View Post
    Did you remove the battery before the FN+Esc buttons are held in and usb inserted, crisis mode is only enabled when running from dc power only
    Yep. Tried alsorts of different ways. Different USB's, with/without battery - the lot.

Can tell when Crisis Mode is active as the Power Light flashes, but still didn't do nothing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just fixed a laptop that had a bad bios flash,
    i used the crisis software unsuccessfully a few times then tried another usb stick and hey presto, it worked

further research showed that not all usb sticks are compatible and no one is sure why

(on my unit, it was Fn+b)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem as you. I contacted Acer support and They told me to do a reset by pressing alt+f10 which didn't work. Mine is just out of warranty.
    Please if you find a solution do send me the details.
    Thanks very much.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    Hi,
    I have exactly the same problem as you. I contacted Acer support and They told me to do a reset by pressing alt+f10 which didn't work. Mine is just out of warranty.
    Please if you find a solution do send me the details.
    Thanks very much.
    Read your welcome message and rules, we are not tolerant of spammers and leeches.......you won't last otherwise....
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno if this helps, but I've had loads of fun and games trying to get bios recovery working in the past (on other laptops though). At first I thought it was down to the usb drive I used, but I've found an hp utility that seems to always work for me.

Download from the link, unzip it, then run hpusbfw.exe as admin, select the device, leave type as FAT, then select create a dos startup disk using files at the bootfiles directory. Once that's done, copy over the relevant BIOS file(s). I always then manually copy the contents of the bootfiles directory to the usb stick as then you've got something handy for other jobs as well.

I also left another directory that has the files from the dell engineers cd in case that ever helps on another job as I couldn't be arsed removing the directory. Just copy the contents onto the USB stick once it's been formatted and that will work as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfifj0oqepwhwzm/DriveKey.zip

2 Thanks given to Over Carl

Doctor Who (24th August 2013),  riget (24th August 2013)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Re: Netbook Acer One AOD270 Boot problem

Hello, I had a similar problem with a D270-1402. My son cracked the LCD panel. It turned on but I could only see the backlight on.
    I bougth a new one on EBAY but when I change it it did not work. Black screen. But there were some activity on the hard drive. with a flashlight I could see the images on the LCD. Problem is that there is no backlight. If I connect back the cracked panel it does not longer show the backlight niether.

I was bougth a couple of years ago so it is out of warranty.
    I found several for this failure (black screen) in google:
    - Bad Mobo (graphics card)
    - Bad BIOS
    - Bad inverter
    - Bad video cable

I tried connecting an external monitor and it work fine so my guess is that the the graphic card is working fine.
    I went to the Acer site and download and install the lastes BIOS (V1.10) with no problems
    This LCD panel do not use any inverter
    As the data is on the screen but no image is seen due the lack of backlight I think the problem could be the cable. I have already order one but it will take take to get to my home.
    Do you have any other idea about what can be causing the problem?
    If there is a way to check the cable (Do you have the layout of it?) it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you have connected an external and that works ok then you have either got a dodgy connection, cable, LCD or the port on the mobo it connects to is damaged.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just got to add that I struggled with my acer aspire one in the same way, lights flashed, hd and fans whirred but nowt else.

I had turned the screen off with the fcn + whatever key and it was defaulting to the external display.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks to wakadoo

evilsatan (7th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    If you have connected an external and that works ok then you have either got a dodgy connection, cable, LCD or the port on the mobo it connects to is damaged.
    I'd say Deja has either sorted this or lost all hope based on no update from him since Jan last year

edit:
    Just noticed who you were replying to. Another bump by a noob, why not just start another thread?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorted this in the end by registering it with Acer and got it replaced under warranty. Total result as it only cost me £35, got a brand spanking new one still sealed in the box. Sister still using it on her Paramedic Course today.

Reading your post, sounds like you have purchased a faulty or incorrect LCD Panel and I would return it for a replacement, especially seeing as plugging an external monitor in works... mine didn't.