Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bloody windows 8!!!

I have a sony vaio that originally came with windows 7

managed to grab a copy of windows 8 and i absolutely hate it. So ive decided to reinstall 7 from a bootable usb...

Cannot access the bios no matter what! There is no UEFI option under the advanced settings anywhere, holding down the shift key while restarting doesnt work and pressing the f12 or whichever one it is at the startup screen does nothing...

any other ideas?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody windows 8!!!

From sony...

For the
    VAIO User Guide VPCEG1/VPCEH1/VPCEJ1/VPCEL1 Series. Dunno what series your is.

Booting Your VAIO Computer from External Devices

You can boot your VAIO computer from external devices, such as an optical disc drive or a USB floppy disk drive, by using the BIOS function.

• Connect an external device to your VAIO computer and turn on the computer.

• Press the F11 key repeatedly until the VAIO logo disappears.

The booting process from the external device starts. If your VAIO computer does not boot up, restart the computer and try again.

or....

f2 to get into bios possibly.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Bloody windows 8!!!

yeah f2 got me in
    Last edited by CallmeGoose; 9th May 2014 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you're having probs, then stick with windows 8 and install Classic Shelll. Makes it feel just like win 7.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Win 8 is awesome, so much better than win 7 once you get used to it and as said above install Classic Shell for the interim months ;-)

With your Viao why didn't you just do ALT-F10 and do a factory restore?

4 Thanks given to akimba

beerman (9th May 2014),  BigBird (9th May 2014),  cloudy73 (9th May 2014),  macmilm (9th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree. Windows 8 is so much better than 7 once you get used to it. I hated it at first but wouldn't go back now.

Thanks to Gunnzie

cloudy73 (9th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've used windows 8 since the beginning, was using a win 7 machine of a mates the other day and it just seemed so difficult to use compared to 8.1

Have you upgraded to 8.1 update 1 and set your machine to boot to desktop etc?

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah i had the classic shell installed, worked fine for a while then my machine just became super slow. never really got the feel of 8, so im back on 7 now and runs much smoother!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Win 8 is awesome, so much better than win 7 once you get used to it and as said above install Classic Shell for the interim months ;-)
    I installed windows 8 on a new PC I built last month. Liked it from the word go. During installation it tells you about the bottom left and the top right corners for accessing different settings so I managed to get to everywhere I needed straight away. I think it was much easier going from windows 7 to windows 8 than it would have been if it was the other way around. Settings are much easier to get to. A perfect example is if you wanted to un-hide file extensions. A pain for someone using win7 who hasn't done it before. Still get mates calling me asking how to navigate to the setting in win7, but in win8 it is plain to see.

Will get the start button back when I do the upgrade to 8.1.1 but to be honest I don't miss it one bit. (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I got win 8.1 on me tablet, laptop, computer and is all gravy must admit on me tablet I don't even use the desktop at all it metro all the way ;-)

Thanks to akimba

BigBird (9th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love the metro ui on my tablet but the app store on win 8 is seriously lacking compared to my old android tablet.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Surprised no crazy russian hacker group hasn't made a windows 7.5... Windows 8 technology with a windows 7 UI. Always said metro should have been a UI theme selectable at install tbh. Either have metro or desktop. I recently upgraded my laptop with an ssd and was determined to give win 8 a go. But even after tweaking to fuck out of it I wiped and went back to 7.

Just can't get used to it and I've tried twice now. All the old skool SYS admins I know all feel the same as well. We are just all too old. Thanks Microsoft...

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

4me2 (9th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For all of you that love windows 8... you are wrong, its shit. The proof is in the sales figures which are clear as day.

We had exactly the same thing with Vista, there was always the insistent (and very vocal) users who would say how great it was (until it was fixed with Windows 7).

Even MS are backing out changes as fast as they can so people will actually buy the product. When they get the proper desktop function back (as per below) in the next big update for W8, then probably people will start using it again.

3 Thanks given to MsDG

4me2 (9th May 2014),  Ashley (9th May 2014),  CallmeGoose (9th May 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We had the same shit with Windows Millenium to XP. Sales figures don't mean anything.
    Windows 8 is a great OS. It's just got some big shoes to fill to persuade people from Windows 7.
    I personally, have a major problem with UEFI Technology (causes too many problems) not Windows 8 itself anymore.

Vista was total crap, not one person I have ever spoke to said they loved Vista, most downgraded back to XP for years until 7 was released. Even MS has admitted it fucked it up.
    The main problem was most had Windows XP Pentium 4 systems maxed out with 1 or 2GB's or RAM, then upgraded to Vista expecting the same performance. Not happening.
    Even the Manufacturers of PC's and Laptops got it wrong for years, Vista needed Dual Core CPU's and 4GB to be anywhere near usable, even then they were sluggish.

Forcing people away from an interface they have used for nearly 2 decades is never going to be an easy feat. Giving the option for it to remain will improve sales figures and familiarity with it.
    Microsoft fucked up by releasing Windows 8 before getting real world experience feedback. Can't be helped.

Those that think Window 8 is shit, haven't used it for long enough or are not keeping it up to date.
    The new Mouse recognition (dulling down touchscreen stuff) is a welcomed addition.
    Windows 8 is slowly becoming a welcomed upgrade for Windows 7. It's just taking longer due to the bad wrap it had in the beginning.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    For all of you that love windows 8... you are wrong, its shit.
    So if someone does not share your opinion they are wrong. Is that because in your head you are always right. I know someone like that who lives locally and she wonders why she has no real friends. (">

3 Thanks given to BigBird

consoles (10th May 2014),  macmilm (9th May 2014),  Stig (10th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im like others still unsure on Windows 8 - when is the next big update might try it again

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For all of you that love windows 8... you are wrong, its shit. The proof is in the sales figures which are clear as day.
    All I can say to that is Bollocks - The reason sales figures are poor is down to a number of factors

1. Corporates don't like Windows 8 due to the higher learning curve for users which equals higher training costs after roll out
    2. PC sales for consumers have been massively reduced due to recession
    3. Many consumer users have purchased a tablet (mostly iPad but many Android too) rather than upgrade the existing PC or laptop
    4. People sheepishly following what the mass media say - online review sites say bad things about Microsoft and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and agrees.

If you like Windows 7 or any other operating system, then fine stay with it, but IMO based on usage on all my machines at home and my work laptop I find it easier and faster than Windows 7. I don't know what the fuss is about the start menu, you can link apps to your task bar and add icons for other less used products on the metro screen if required which can be accessed by simply pressing the windows key.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    So if someone does not share your opinion they are wrong. Is that because in your head you are always right. I know someone like that who lives locally and she wonders why she has no real friends. (">
    LOL, I knew someone would say this. However, its not opinion, its clear sales figures. Windows 8 sales figures are dire and not really getting much better. FFS, W8.1 users are almost currently the same as Vista users!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You are quoting usage figures not sales figures. You should also add together both 8 & 8.1 which adds up to 10.58% making it the third most used OS.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LOL, I knew someone would say this. However, its not opinion, its clear sales figures. Windows 8 sales figures are dire and not really getting much better. FFS, W8.1 users are almost currently the same as Vista users!
    Whatever your argument, which is flawed anyway, you can't say that someone is wrong because they like something even if the majority don't like it. We are all different. Its a matter of personal taste. I and many other happen to get on well with Win8 so we like it...to us it is not shit.
    Maybe there was another problem when you tried it. Have you had the chair to keyboard interface checked out for any faults? (">

Thanks to BigBird

Hangman (9th May 2014)  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast