Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

moan Asbestos Soffit Removal

Not sure if this is the right place to post really may well be better suited in "The Whine Cellar" but I have to have a bit of a vent!

Last night when I returned home from work there was a "Virgo Home Improvements" van parked outside my neighbours house, he was having his facias changed and new guttering, the guys doing the work where up ladders with no securing and wearing no PPE whatsoever so straight away I think what a bunch of fucking cowboys but hay if they want to kill themselves thats up to them.
    Went out in the back garden to get some stuff out of our outhouse freezer (I live in a 1950's ex council house) and theres another guy up a ladder who shouts out to me in a dodgy Pikeyish accent telling me he'd remove and replace my soffits too for £600 cash. He then tells me they are asbestos soffits which I know anyway as I have recently had my facsias and guttering re-done by a friend who is a builder also I work in the construction industry so know about asbestos.
    This is the poin where i notice this guy is just smashing the old soffit out of next doors house with a fucking claw hammer and a saw! It's not enclosed in anyway, he hasnt damped it down or anything hell the prick hasnt even got a dusk mask on! So now I've got lumps of asbestos boarding and fibres raining down into my garden where my 3 year old son is playing!
    Tried calling the police, they put me through to the enviromental dept of our local council which was closed at 17.30, tried the out of hours number and they couldnt help me until 09.30 when that dept was open.
    Later we had a knock at the door and it was one of the guys asking if he could put his ladder up on my property to reclip my guttering which had become unclipped due to his work. I said no I will do it myself, he then asked why and I told him he wasn't going to touch my house after the way I'd seen them handling asbestos, he said "what asbestos?" "Oh yeah, but that isn't dangerous I work with it everyday" I told him to get off my property.
    Ive tried getting hold of the council today with no joy so I've just reported them to the HSE.
    Rant Over

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Asbestos Soffit Removal

Council are useless cunts when it comes to this, had similar when they demolished 2 warehouses across from me about 10 years ago, they had asbestos roofs and they just smashed them up throwing it in skips, rang the council and they said they would send someone down the next day which they did and all he said was I have told them now but can't keep an eye on them so not much I can do if they ignore me.

Really annoying as any effects won't be seen for years but there was clouds of dust in the air and even covered all the cars parked near, it was the 'less dangerous' type what a piss take that is so it gives you less dangerous cancer, we are also behind most of the western world on removing and banning this.

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

RSV (14th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You where lucky to get through! I just got put on hold for about 20mins before giving up!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was near their house they would soon find something they could do about it. Doesn't matter if it's the government, local authority, police they just cant be bothered. The local authority and the police say there is nothing they can do or no law they can prosecute under. But when I have then said that I will take the law into my own hands or sort it myself, and when in court for my actions I will personally name them and their refusal to take action as the reason I had to sort it myself, miraculously they have suddenly found that they can take action after all. So that proved to me that they will only take action if not doing so is going to cause them problems. All they care about is themselves. (">

Thanks to BigBird

RSV (20th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just as a bit of an update to this story, still no response from the HSE and also I drove past the local PIKEY camp yesterday and hey-presto the van was parked in there. So you can practically guarantee that the asbestos has been fly-tipped down one of the local country lanes.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by RSV View Post
    Just as a bit of an update to this story, still no response from the HSE and also I drove past the local PIKEY camp yesterday and hey-presto the van was parked in there. So you can practically guarantee that the asbestos has been fly-tipped down one of the local country lanes.
    This is what I would be doing to get back at them: Get the registration of the van and make some enquiries to find out if they have gone through the proper channels. Can't be many places around your way that accept asbestos for disposal. Most places will record the registration of the vehicle dropping off the material. Also find out if they have a waste carriers licence. The local authority is the first port of call. If it look like they have not gone through the proper channels I'm sure you could persuade the environmental dept to investigate further by asking them for some paperwork to prove they disposed of it legally. The local authority have a duty to do so. (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by RSV View Post
    "Oh yeah, but that isn't dangerous I work with it everyday"
    Awesome. Darwinism in action.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bit of extra info:

You must register for a Waste Carriers Licence if you transport waste as part of your business.You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register. If you carry waste and especially if that waste is construction related (Builders, Plumbers etc) then you will need an upper tier waste carriers licence from January 2014. It lasts for 3 years.

Once you have the reg no you can also check if the van is insured here (">

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Bit of extra info:

You must register for a Waste Carriers Licence if you transport waste as part of your business.You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register. If you carry waste and especially if that waste is construction related (Builders, Plumbers etc) then you will need an upper tier waste carriers licence from January 2014. It lasts for 3 years.

Once you have the reg no you can also check if the van is insured here (">
    Pikeys with insurance and a license to handle waste?!?! BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks to beerman

rgb1 (20th May 2014)