Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiverr

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fiverr

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Appear superior? You mean it didn't work? Shit.

All you have to do is ask yourself if you'd do the same work for $5, although I suspect it's much less as no doubt the site takes it's cut. So, would you? You'll probably say yes just to be an argumentative cunt.

I wouldn't and I wouldn't feel right paying someone less than minimum wage. I think it's called ethics. Look it up.
    If I understand what you're saying, its that although there are plenty of Yanks, Brits and other Westerners who will compose a ditty, design a logo or draw you a caricature for $5, its not their primary source of income and most are probably just doing it because its novel and feels fun. However those in the third word consider fiverr their daily bread and butter.

Its a difficult argument, but what you need to remember is that $5 may be an entire day's wages in come countries and so if someone can make several times that sitting at a computer and have a good quality of life then what is the harm? I look at it as cutting out the middle man (e.g. Apple) where the consumer gives the total amount* to the labourer.

* less any obvious fiverr commission
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's actually a serious argument on the ethics of using a person in a 3rd world country to provide a service I am not sure it is as cut and dry, it's easy to say don't use it or stop it but what are you really achieving or who are you helping if you do.

For example I have seen many times on programs on the exploitation of labour but without an alternative what are they really doing if they stop it being used, this man provided it is on the face of it is offering a service which he is paid for and no doubt needs the money if you on moral grounds refuse to use his service on a larger scale you make a stand against worker exploitation but on a base level you deprive him of income, you also have a choice of paying more for the service if you wish or if you/he negotiated.

It's easy with a lot of exploitation of workers in the 3rd world to say 'yeah they should stop that' but really they need to change it and the people who are to blame are the middle men and the big companies that turn a blind eye, the employer/factory etc in most of these cases is forced into a contract with a tiny profit margin as if they don't agree they just switch to a another country, like with most things now the finger is pointed at the wrong person as a cause.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Geko (23rd May 2014),  tips (24th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Give me a fucking break. Devaluing the economy? Fucking hell I've heard it all now. Better stop throwing a tenner or fifty quid to a lad for helping me out doing some plumbing or to the young lad who cleans my wheelie bins too. Fucking people been doing jobs for people for a few quid since before the Internet arrived to give people a platform to create frenzy over nothing.

It's it like these people survive on what they make from fiverr it's small change.

When I started my business I sold things for small profit, high profit and sometimes at a loss. Repeat business is the dream for these guys.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

CallmeGoose (23rd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd not heard of it before. Looks very good to me. Some really interesting stuff.

As regards exploitation, contributors aren't forced onto the site, so to say it's no better than slavery is ill judged. It's a million miles away from forcibly removing people from their homes and families, shipping them thousands of miles and to work for no wage and no freedom.

Contributors to fiverr must have access to a pc, so therefore must have a certain element of disposable income and they're not forced to sell their services on there either.

mml
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post

When I started my business I sold things for small profit, high profit and sometimes at a loss. Repeat business is the dream for these guys.
    Buhahahaha, that's how every business works you numpty.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by muttleymacclad View Post

Contributors to fiverr must have access to a pc, so therefore must have a certain element of disposable income and they're not forced to sell their services on there either.

mml
    How do you know they aren't kids tethered to a desk in a steaming room of PC's in a back alley in Kolkata?

Thanks
    Karma Level

How do you know they aren't kids tethered to a desk in a steaming room of PC's in a back alley in Kolkata?
    Come on CJ. If that's the argument you're presenting, then you could never purchase nor consume anything without witnessing every minuscule aspect of the whole production life cycle of every constituent part of that product or service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

You fuckers will be putting the mockers on my shoe shine caper..... bastards

Thanks to Fear345

JonEp (23rd May 2014)  

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've used it a couple of times and fivesquids.co.uk
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Appear superior? You mean it didn't work? Shit.
    Your post did appear quite condescending so I will apologize if I interpreted it incorrectly.

All you have to do is ask yourself if you'd do the same work for $5, although I suspect it's much less as no doubt the site takes it's cut. So, would you? You'll probably say yes just to be an argumentative cunt.
    Quite probably not, but only because I have been working very hard for a couple of years (most hours totally unpaid) to bring myself forward to a position where I can command what I consider to be a reasonable sum for my work. This means I have highly developed a set of skills which are unmarketable on that site, and the skills I had that would have been relevant have declined. The flip side of this for example is today where I only got back home about 21.30, haven't pulled in a penny yet spent money on work. I did this out of my own free will so I won't moan about or even consider anyone is "exploiting" me.

I wouldn't and I wouldn't feel right paying someone less than minimum wage. I think it's called ethics. Look it up.
    I personally believe I have ethics and I won't have anyone work for me for free. However, different people in different situations have different costs.

Just for example if I fix someone's car as an self employed mobile mechanic on their drive way, I can't command the same price for the job as a fully equipped and staffed garage because I don't have the same overheads. Much in the same way, if I hypothetically paid someone half the minimum wage for a days work here, but double the normal rate they would receive (which is likely related to the expected costs in their location), I would struggle to see how I am ripping them off.

Now it seems clear you have paid no attention to the nationalities of the service providers before declaring the site is exploiting people from the 3rd world. As you have offered such poor respect to the debate, I can't even be bothered summarising the whole front page as I did last time, but this time out of the first 9 ads I see, I can easily believe all tasks can be completed within 5 mins. $5 for 5 mins is well above minimum wage for any country I've ever heard of. In fact I'm pretty sure that's significantly above even our average wage here.

Just thought I would end off by saying two things.

Those that know me personally know that I am a very highly ethical and principled person. Situations may not have arisen on this board or this topic for me to have proven the point (because the ethos on DF is about helping people for free, not charging), what gives you the right to determine I'm some sort of shady fucker who exploits people?

Secondly, I think I've blown away all your points and requested you back your points up and the best you can do is to call me a cunt. I could give you an infraction, report your post, carry on arguing, etc, but I wouldn't lower myself to carry on arguing with someone like yourself.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 23rd May 2014 at 10:59 PM.

3 Thanks given to Over Carl

CallmeGoose (24th May 2014),  GTI (23rd May 2014),  muttleymacclad (23rd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Just thought I would end off by saying two things.

Those that know me personally know that I am a very highly ethical and principled person. Situations may not have arisen on this board or this topic for me to have proven the point (because the ethos on DF is about helping people for free, not charging), what gives you the right to determine I'm some sort of shady fucker who exploits people?

Secondly, I think I've blown away all your points and requested you back your points up and the best you can do is to call me a cunt. I could give you an infraction, report your post, carry on arguing, etc, but I wouldn't lower myself to carry on arguing with someone like yourself.
    To me you're no better than the slave traders of the Mississippi Delta. I'm not sure how you can look at yourself in the mirror every morning. I've certainly touched a nerve with you and I sense a certain amount of guilt on your part. You can justify your actions all you like, you have to live with yourself.

As for calling you a cunt. I'd read it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks