I am having problems when it comes to transferring files to a server,

to help you help me here is a little background, I had my first server (acer h340) with windows server 2003
and it was always slow, then read a thread on here and found it was my sky router holding things back.
I then followed the advice and purchased a little cisco hub and made my network gigabit lan to improve
speeds, oh my, I was happy.

acer sever died so followed the hp microserver threads and purchased one, installed server 2011 and added
stablebit drivepool all was good and I was very happy, until a few months ago.

now I have not added or changed any hardware or software but when i xfer files they always start at around
80mb/s for about 8 to 10 secs, then just stop.
they can sit like that for 5 mins and then they will have a spurt for 2-3 secs at a few mb/s and then stop again
and its taking me forever to put files on the server. Files taken from the server are constant and fast, files that
i put onto caddys are also fine.

pc is running windows 8 and its an i7 with plenty of memory and the hd is an ssd
sever is one of them hp n54l ones with a mixed bag of drives in it.

now i am not an expert so i have relied on googling and have followed a few guides that have either made no diff
or (like the last one i did) have rendered my server inaccessible from any device, that left me a bit scared and very
worried so i have posted here just in case anyone has ever had to sort a similar problem.

i am at work tonight but i have a long weekend ahead so i hope to get stuck into this and get it sorted, thank you
for reading my post and i hope/pray someone can join me and help a lending hand.