Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default file transfer problems.

I am having problems when it comes to transferring files to a server,

to help you help me here is a little background, I had my first server (acer h340) with windows server 2003
    and it was always slow, then read a thread on here and found it was my sky router holding things back.
    I then followed the advice and purchased a little cisco hub and made my network gigabit lan to improve
    speeds, oh my, I was happy.

acer sever died so followed the hp microserver threads and purchased one, installed server 2011 and added
    stablebit drivepool all was good and I was very happy, until a few months ago.

now I have not added or changed any hardware or software but when i xfer files they always start at around
    80mb/s for about 8 to 10 secs, then just stop.
    they can sit like that for 5 mins and then they will have a spurt for 2-3 secs at a few mb/s and then stop again
    and its taking me forever to put files on the server. Files taken from the server are constant and fast, files that
    i put onto caddys are also fine.

pc is running windows 8 and its an i7 with plenty of memory and the hd is an ssd
    sever is one of them hp n54l ones with a mixed bag of drives in it.

now i am not an expert so i have relied on googling and have followed a few guides that have either made no diff
    or (like the last one i did) have rendered my server inaccessible from any device, that left me a bit scared and very
    worried so i have posted here just in case anyone has ever had to sort a similar problem.

i am at work tonight but i have a long weekend ahead so i hope to get stuck into this and get it sorted, thank you
    for reading my post and i hope/pray someone can join me and help a lending hand.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: file transfer problems.

First make sure you've rebooted everything including switches that the connection goes via, tried different network cables, different hard drive data cables also do a full integrity check of the disks and scan for bad sectors... Also test from a different client if possible. Also check disks have at least 20% free as that can impact performance too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Mr.James

wakadoo (22nd May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: file transfer problems.

I've re-read this now I'm at my lappy and this could also be due to network auto-tuning or possibly tcp offloading.

Go into the device manager, then into the properties on your graphics card. There should be an advanced tab with a list of settings on it. Make sure you take down the defaults as if it doesn't fix it you might want to change the settings back.

Basically you want to set every single one of the options that has the word 'Offload' in it to Disabled. Once that's done, disable the TCP Chimney by opening a Command Prompt as Administrator and running netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled, you can set it back to default by running netsh int tcp set global chimney=automatic if you need to.

Give it a reboot and see how it goes.