Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: New PC ?

  1. #1
    DF Admin 4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    32,888
    Thanks
    2,038
    Thanked:        2,073
    Karma Level
    2465

    Question New PC ?

    If you were going to buy a new pc today what would you buy and why ?

    How much would you spend ?

  2. #2
    DF VIP Member
    blaggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    15,210
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked:        1,877
    Karma Level
    1513

    Default Re: New PC ?

    The best Mac I could afford and bootcamp it for Windows. ..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  3. #3
    DF PwNagE beerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    29 Acacia Road
    Posts
    8,514
    Thanks
    1,098
    Thanked:        1,697
    Karma Level
    987

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    The best Mac I could afford and bootcamp it for Windows. ..
    Out of interest why? Why not spend the same money you would spend on the Mac on PC parts and build it yourself. You'd get a spec that far outperforms any Mac. If you are sticking windows on there why bother with Mac hardware?

  4. #4
    DF VIP Member
    blaggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    15,210
    Thanks
    1,516
    Thanked:        1,877
    Karma Level
    1513

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Because the Windows would only be a secondary system and Windows is shite, it's the way I've been running for 5 years and I wouldn't change it..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  5. #5
    DF Jedi crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Okinawa
    Posts
    4,215
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked:        468
    Karma Level
    516

    Default Re: New PC ?

    See below - I haven't included an OS as I have an MSDN account for that kind of thing.

    No doubt others will be along to disagree with all my choosings but hey - that's what a personal opinion is all about

    SSD is for booting and Apps, 1TB is for data. No optical drive as I believe they are not necessary. Use a USB3 memory stick for that kind of thing.

    2 Thanks given to crazyal

    4me2 (24th May 2014), GTI (2nd September 2014) 


  6. #6
    DF MaSter Jokah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked:        35
    Karma Level
    92

    Default Re: New PC ?

    What would you like to do with said computer? Gaming, browsing, watching movies, video editing, all of the above, other? Do you need a monitor as well?

    If you are just after something for everyday use and can play games at an acceptable level then what Crazyal has suggested should do the job just fine. If you are into gaming though you may want to beef up the GPU if your budget allows.
    Last edited by Jokah; 24th May 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Missed a word out

    Thanks to Jokah

    crazyal (24th May 2014) 


  7. #7
    DF Admin 4me2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    32,888
    Thanks
    2,038
    Thanked:        2,073
    Karma Level
    2465

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokah View Post
    What would you like to do with said computer? Gaming, browsing, watching movies, video editing, all of the above, other? Do you need a monitor as well?

    If you are just after something for everyday use and can play games at an acceptable level then what Crazyal has suggested should do the job just fine. If you are into gaming though you may want to beef up the GPU if your budget allows.
    Not asking for myself I'm asking the members who will each have their uses and preferences.

  8. #8
    DF VIP Member Fear345's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    entebbe
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked:        437
    Karma Level
    552

    Default Re: New PC ?

    I'm interested in this also, I haven't built my own for years now but been thinking of getting an new on that could out match the performance of the xbox one and ps4 and totally out of date what gfx cards and such are the best to buy.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  9. #9
    DF VIP Member Pegasus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    4,588
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked:        52
    Karma Level
    618

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    If you were going to buy a new pc today what would you buy and why ?
    Custom built, that way I get to to the spec I want.


    Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    How much would you spend ?
    All depends on what I want the machine to do...How long is a piece of string really?

    To give you an idea, I threw £600 at a 2.4GHz Northwood CPU when it was first released back in the very early noughties, along with another £200 on an Adaptec 320 SCSI controller, and another £400 went on 2x 18GB 10K RPM SCSI drives.
    That lot was mounted in a Lian Li PC70 full tower case that cost £200 without the PSU, 2GB of RAMBUS memory (just under £400 at the time) and a 20" Iiyama LCD monitor (retail was just over £800) pretty much made up my system.


    So that leaves 2 questions:

    1. What do you want out of the machine
    2. What's your budget?
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

  10. #10
    DF MaSter Jokah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked:        35
    Karma Level
    92

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Not asking for myself I'm asking the members who will each have their uses and preferences.
    Ahh I see. Interesting :-?

    Well I'm quite happy with what I have as it is ample for my needs.


    • Intel i7 2700K (Water cooled)
    • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    • 8GB Samsung 30nm RAM
    • ASUS R9 290 (Water cooled)
    • 1000w BeQuiet PSU (overkill yes but it is from my previous build)
    • 6TB of HDD space
    • Crucial 250GB SSD
    • Corsair HAF X case
    • Qnix 1440p monitor


    All I do is browse t'internet, watch movies and play games. Only thing I would change is to add another R9 290. However, if I were to purchase again now I would rebuild my old computer (below) but with it's more updated counter parts:


    • Intel i7 3930K
    • ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    • 16GB Samsung 30nm RAM
    • 3x 7970 watercooed
    • 1000w BeQuiet PSU
    • 6TB of HDD space
    • Crucial 250GB SSD
    • Corsair HAF X case
    • Qnix 1440p monitor


    My aim was to run 3x 1440p monitors but hit a bit of financial turmoil so had to downsize. As I said I am happy with what I have now and don't game as much anymore but I do miss my beast and if had to start again I would rebuild and finally get the 3 1440p monitors I initially wanted. May be excessive but I liked it.

    Don't know how much it costs but it would be around 3 - 4x as much as my current rig!

    Thanks to Jokah

    4me2 (24th May 2014) 


  11. #11
    DF PwNagE Mobileman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    No.1 The Toon
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    1,625
    Thanked:        1,050
    Karma Level
    722

    Default Re: New PC ?

    build myself is my preference usually spend around £600-700 the similar spec system but branded is always around £900 for same spec

    have a couple of works pcs that need upgrading but my custom build never really use as laptop gets most use

    and my n54 server bought that prob a year ago still in box lol
    Last edited by Mobileman; 27th May 2014 at 06:17 PM.

    Thanks to Mobileman

    4me2 (24th May 2014) 


  12. #12
    DF Rookie nsw9154's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Hartlepool
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked:        1
    Karma Level
    0

    Default Re: New PC ?

    I have just upgraded my old AMD 64 X2 5000+ Black/Asrock mb after my power supply blew up and fried my main Hard Drive,so i decided to upgrade everything as i wanted a faster PC
    I went for a
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard
    AMD AM3+ FX6100 processor Black Edition (then found the FX6300 cheaper) i binned the stock cooler and fitted my old AC Freezer 7 Pro
    Corsair XMS DDR3 8gig 1600 2x4 (should have got 16 so will upgrade to 24gig later)
    Cooler Master G750M semi modular power supply (i will never buy a cheap power supply again)
    Gigabyte GT630 2gig graphics card
    Aero Cool X strike Devil Red case (with 3 extra Aero Cool Shark 12cm fans 5 in all)
    i also upgraded my Monitor to a LG 24MP55HQ-P24"IPS

    and i am over the moon with it altogether it probably cost me about £530 as i already had a Hard Drive & DVD RW, it would have been substantially cheaper if i had not upgraded my monitor & case
    its great for video editing with its 6 cores, i can encode 3 files in the time it used to take for 1 and it will probably be better when i get the extra 16gig memory
    and it runs cool about 26/28c as i Wright this and never goes above 45c under load, i was thinking of fitting a Corsair water cooler but with temps like that i don't really need it
    I could have gone the FM2 rout and in hindsight probably should have as they are getting cheaper now (after i had already purchased) but i am happy enough with what i have for the time being
    and my new monitor is fantastic for the price so all in all well chuffed

    regards norm

  13. #13
    DF Moderator {{909}}'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    China
    Posts
    16,268
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked:        1,437
    Karma Level
    1374

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    See below - I haven't included an OS as I have an MSDN account for that kind of thing.

    No doubt others will be along to disagree with all my choosings but hey - that's what a personal opinion is all about

    SSD is for booting and Apps, 1TB is for data. No optical drive as I believe they are not necessary. Use a USB3 memory stick for that kind of thing.

    what sort of rig would you class this as? I am so out of the loop these days (and have been since the Athlon Axia days) but I want to upgrade my core2duo to something with a bit more grunt now I have a 1440p monitor.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  14. #14
    DF PwNagE beerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    29 Acacia Road
    Posts
    8,514
    Thanks
    1,098
    Thanked:        1,697
    Karma Level
    987

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    and my n54 server bought prob a year ago still in box lol
    Stick it in the BST, I know BBshark is looking for one.

  15. #15
    DF Jedi crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Okinawa
    Posts
    4,215
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked:        468
    Karma Level
    516

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    what sort of rig would you class this as? I am so out of the loop these days (and have been since the Athlon Axia days) but I want to upgrade my core2duo to something with a bit more grunt now I have a 1440p monitor.
    As 4ME2 was asking members generally what they would recommend, I went from the assumption that it would need to be capable of a bit of everything - gaming, office, some video/graphic editing and such.

    It kinda hits that middle ground but will need tweaking for a specific need , e.g. swap the graphics card for a nice shiny GTX770 or 780 if the budget allows. Boost the memory to 16GB if heading somewhere that needs graphic design or access to multiple VM's.

    I specc'd the i5 in my post as it really is value for money as far as CPU's go - don't get me wrong the i7 is awesome (personally I run the i7 4770) but again, unless you need the extra grunt stick with the i5 as a good all-rounder. Additionally the i5 'K' series overclock like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a fan of overclocking myself but some like to see what their processor is capable of so good luck to them.

    Most of the other thinks like the water-cooled heatsink and fan and SSD are what I have personally installed for others and know them to be good bits of kit.

  16. #16
    DF PwNagE Mobileman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    No.1 The Toon
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    1,625
    Thanked:        1,050
    Karma Level
    722

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Stick it in the BST, I know BBshark is looking for one.
    Still need it just never got my fat arse up to sort it out yet the copying 6tb over and then raiding it keeps scaring me lol

  17. #17
    DF Moderator {{909}}'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    China
    Posts
    16,268
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked:        1,437
    Karma Level
    1374

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    As 4ME2 was asking members generally what they would recommend, I went from the assumption that it would need to be capable of a bit of everything - gaming, office, some video/graphic editing and such.

    It kinda hits that middle ground but will need tweaking for a specific need , e.g. swap the graphics card for a nice shiny GTX770 or 780 if the budget allows. Boost the memory to 16GB if heading somewhere that needs graphic design or access to multiple VM's.

    I specc'd the i5 in my post as it really is value for money as far as CPU's go - don't get me wrong the i7 is awesome (personally I run the i7 4770) but again, unless you need the extra grunt stick with the i5 as a good all-rounder. Additionally the i5 'K' series overclock like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a fan of overclocking myself but some like to see what their processor is capable of so good luck to them.

    Most of the other thinks like the water-cooled heatsink and fan and SSD are what I have personally installed for others and know them to be good bits of kit.

    cool, I'm sort of looking to build a machine thats primarily photoshop based but I still want to dabble in games from time to time so I will probably build something up similar using my current gfx card (1gig something or other) and add a card when HL3 rears ts head.

    Does your CPU play a lot in running games these days or is it all down to your GPU?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

  18. #18
    DF Jedi crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Okinawa
    Posts
    4,215
    Thanks
    345
    Thanked:        468
    Karma Level
    516

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    cool, I'm sort of looking to build a machine thats primarily photoshop based but I still want to dabble in games from time to time so I will probably build something up similar using my current gfx card (1gig something or other) and add a card when HL3 rears ts head.

    Does your CPU play a lot in running games these days or is it all down to your GPU?
    I'm into video editing/conversion so I really wanted the best CPU I could get to get through those files ASAP, hence the i7. My own GPU is a GTX 660 and although I can't turn all the bells and whistles on full and run it at 60FPS, I can still run things like Crysis 2 and Battlefield 4 at 1920 x 1080 with a decent frame rate so its certainly no slouch. I don't honestly do much gaming these days on the PC - I leave all that kind of thing to my PS3 & PS4. The only real reason I got the 660 is on the odd occasion I do want to play a PCgame, I can. Things like HL2 and Crysis 1 pretty much fly along no probs.

    Thanks to crazyal

    {{909}} (29th May 2014) 


  19. #19
    DF Rookie morsa70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked:        0
    Karma Level
    0

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Thirst decide what you need! and how you can spend.

  20. #20
    DF Jedi akimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,022
    Thanks
    1,152
    Thanked:        837
    Karma Level
    337

    Default Re: New PC ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Still need it just never got my fat arse up to sort it out yet the copying 6tb over and then raiding it keeps scaring me lol
    No wonder its scaring you as surely you would want to set the RAID up before copying ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •