Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question New PC ?

If you were going to buy a new pc today what would you buy and why ?

How much would you spend ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New PC ?

The best Mac I could afford and bootcamp it for Windows. ..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    The best Mac I could afford and bootcamp it for Windows. ..
    Out of interest why? Why not spend the same money you would spend on the Mac on PC parts and build it yourself. You'd get a spec that far outperforms any Mac. If you are sticking windows on there why bother with Mac hardware?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Because the Windows would only be a secondary system and Windows is shite, it's the way I've been running for 5 years and I wouldn't change it..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

See below - I haven't included an OS as I have an MSDN account for that kind of thing.

No doubt others will be along to disagree with all my choosings but hey - that's what a personal opinion is all about

SSD is for booting and Apps, 1TB is for data. No optical drive as I believe they are not necessary. Use a USB3 memory stick for that kind of thing.

2 Thanks given to crazyal

4me2 (24th May 2014),  GTI (2nd September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

What would you like to do with said computer? Gaming, browsing, watching movies, video editing, all of the above, other? Do you need a monitor as well?

If you are just after something for everyday use and can play games at an acceptable level then what Crazyal has suggested should do the job just fine. If you are into gaming though you may want to beef up the GPU if your budget allows.
    Last edited by Jokah; 24th May 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Missed a word out

Thanks to Jokah

crazyal (24th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jokah View Post
    What would you like to do with said computer? Gaming, browsing, watching movies, video editing, all of the above, other? Do you need a monitor as well?

If you are just after something for everyday use and can play games at an acceptable level then what Crazyal has suggested should do the job just fine. If you are into gaming though you may want to beef up the GPU if your budget allows.
    Not asking for myself I'm asking the members who will each have their uses and preferences.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm interested in this also, I haven't built my own for years now but been thinking of getting an new on that could out match the performance of the xbox one and ps4 and totally out of date what gfx cards and such are the best to buy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    If you were going to buy a new pc today what would you buy and why ?
    Custom built, that way I get to to the spec I want.

How much would you spend ?
    All depends on what I want the machine to do...How long is a piece of string really?

To give you an idea, I threw £600 at a 2.4GHz Northwood CPU when it was first released back in the very early noughties, along with another £200 on an Adaptec 320 SCSI controller, and another £400 went on 2x 18GB 10K RPM SCSI drives.
    That lot was mounted in a Lian Li PC70 full tower case that cost £200 without the PSU, 2GB of RAMBUS memory (just under £400 at the time) and a 20" Iiyama LCD monitor (retail was just over £800) pretty much made up my system.

So that leaves 2 questions:

1. What do you want out of the machine
    2. What's your budget?
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not asking for myself I'm asking the members who will each have their uses and preferences.
    Ahh I see. Interesting :-?

Well I'm quite happy with what I have as it is ample for my needs.

• Intel i7 2700K (Water cooled)
    • ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    • 8GB Samsung 30nm RAM
    • ASUS R9 290 (Water cooled)
    • 1000w BeQuiet PSU (overkill yes but it is from my previous build)
    • 6TB of HDD space
    • Crucial 250GB SSD
    • Corsair HAF X case
    • Qnix 1440p monitor

All I do is browse t'internet, watch movies and play games. Only thing I would change is to add another R9 290. However, if I were to purchase again now I would rebuild my old computer (below) but with it's more updated counter parts:

• Intel i7 3930K
    • ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    • 16GB Samsung 30nm RAM
    • 3x 7970 watercooed
    • 1000w BeQuiet PSU
    • 6TB of HDD space
    • Crucial 250GB SSD
    • Corsair HAF X case
    • Qnix 1440p monitor

My aim was to run 3x 1440p monitors but hit a bit of financial turmoil so had to downsize. As I said I am happy with what I have now and don't game as much anymore but I do miss my beast and if had to start again I would rebuild and finally get the 3 1440p monitors I initially wanted. May be excessive but I liked it.

Don't know how much it costs but it would be around 3 - 4x as much as my current rig!

Thanks to Jokah

4me2 (24th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

build myself is my preference usually spend around £600-700 the similar spec system but branded is always around £900 for same spec

have a couple of works pcs that need upgrading but my custom build never really use as laptop gets most use

and my n54 server bought that prob a year ago still in box lol
    Last edited by Mobileman; 27th May 2014 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks to Mobileman

4me2 (24th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have just upgraded my old AMD 64 X2 5000+ Black/Asrock mb after my power supply blew up and fried my main Hard Drive,so i decided to upgrade everything as i wanted a faster PC
    I went for a
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard
    AMD AM3+ FX6100 processor Black Edition (then found the FX6300 cheaper) i binned the stock cooler and fitted my old AC Freezer 7 Pro
    Corsair XMS DDR3 8gig 1600 2x4 (should have got 16 so will upgrade to 24gig later)
    Cooler Master G750M semi modular power supply (i will never buy a cheap power supply again)
    Gigabyte GT630 2gig graphics card
    Aero Cool X strike Devil Red case (with 3 extra Aero Cool Shark 12cm fans 5 in all)
    i also upgraded my Monitor to a LG 24MP55HQ-P24"IPS

and i am over the moon with it altogether it probably cost me about £530 as i already had a Hard Drive & DVD RW, it would have been substantially cheaper if i had not upgraded my monitor & case
    its great for video editing with its 6 cores, i can encode 3 files in the time it used to take for 1 and it will probably be better when i get the extra 16gig memory
    and it runs cool about 26/28c as i Wright this and never goes above 45c under load, i was thinking of fitting a Corsair water cooler but with temps like that i don't really need it
    I could have gone the FM2 rout and in hindsight probably should have as they are getting cheaper now (after i had already purchased) but i am happy enough with what i have for the time being
    and my new monitor is fantastic for the price so all in all well chuffed

regards norm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    See below - I haven't included an OS as I have an MSDN account for that kind of thing.

No doubt others will be along to disagree with all my choosings but hey - that's what a personal opinion is all about

SSD is for booting and Apps, 1TB is for data. No optical drive as I believe they are not necessary. Use a USB3 memory stick for that kind of thing.

what sort of rig would you class this as? I am so out of the loop these days (and have been since the Athlon Axia days) but I want to upgrade my core2duo to something with a bit more grunt now I have a 1440p monitor.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    and my n54 server bought prob a year ago still in box lol
    Stick it in the BST, I know BBshark is looking for one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    what sort of rig would you class this as? I am so out of the loop these days (and have been since the Athlon Axia days) but I want to upgrade my core2duo to something with a bit more grunt now I have a 1440p monitor.
    As 4ME2 was asking members generally what they would recommend, I went from the assumption that it would need to be capable of a bit of everything - gaming, office, some video/graphic editing and such.

It kinda hits that middle ground but will need tweaking for a specific need , e.g. swap the graphics card for a nice shiny GTX770 or 780 if the budget allows. Boost the memory to 16GB if heading somewhere that needs graphic design or access to multiple VM's.

I specc'd the i5 in my post as it really is value for money as far as CPU's go - don't get me wrong the i7 is awesome (personally I run the i7 4770) but again, unless you need the extra grunt stick with the i5 as a good all-rounder. Additionally the i5 'K' series overclock like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a fan of overclocking myself but some like to see what their processor is capable of so good luck to them.

Most of the other thinks like the water-cooled heatsink and fan and SSD are what I have personally installed for others and know them to be good bits of kit.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Stick it in the BST, I know BBshark is looking for one.
    Still need it just never got my fat arse up to sort it out yet the copying 6tb over and then raiding it keeps scaring me lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    As 4ME2 was asking members generally what they would recommend, I went from the assumption that it would need to be capable of a bit of everything - gaming, office, some video/graphic editing and such.

It kinda hits that middle ground but will need tweaking for a specific need , e.g. swap the graphics card for a nice shiny GTX770 or 780 if the budget allows. Boost the memory to 16GB if heading somewhere that needs graphic design or access to multiple VM's.

I specc'd the i5 in my post as it really is value for money as far as CPU's go - don't get me wrong the i7 is awesome (personally I run the i7 4770) but again, unless you need the extra grunt stick with the i5 as a good all-rounder. Additionally the i5 'K' series overclock like you wouldn't believe. I'm not a fan of overclocking myself but some like to see what their processor is capable of so good luck to them.

Most of the other thinks like the water-cooled heatsink and fan and SSD are what I have personally installed for others and know them to be good bits of kit.

cool, I'm sort of looking to build a machine thats primarily photoshop based but I still want to dabble in games from time to time so I will probably build something up similar using my current gfx card (1gig something or other) and add a card when HL3 rears ts head.

Does your CPU play a lot in running games these days or is it all down to your GPU?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    cool, I'm sort of looking to build a machine thats primarily photoshop based but I still want to dabble in games from time to time so I will probably build something up similar using my current gfx card (1gig something or other) and add a card when HL3 rears ts head.

Does your CPU play a lot in running games these days or is it all down to your GPU?
    I'm into video editing/conversion so I really wanted the best CPU I could get to get through those files ASAP, hence the i7. My own GPU is a GTX 660 and although I can't turn all the bells and whistles on full and run it at 60FPS, I can still run things like Crysis 2 and Battlefield 4 at 1920 x 1080 with a decent frame rate so its certainly no slouch. I don't honestly do much gaming these days on the PC - I leave all that kind of thing to my PS3 & PS4. The only real reason I got the 660 is on the odd occasion I do want to play a PCgame, I can. Things like HL2 and Crysis 1 pretty much fly along no probs.

Thanks to crazyal

{{909}} (29th May 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thirst decide what you need! and how you can spend.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Still need it just never got my fat arse up to sort it out yet the copying 6tb over and then raiding it keeps scaring me lol
    No wonder its scaring you as surely you would want to set the RAID up before copying ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks