Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFJEEBUSHELPME Best 10" Windows 8.1 tablet for £300 or less.

Having wanted a tablet with full windows 8 on it for a while now, I think I have narrowed my decision down a bit. Surface RT is a lovely TABLET with fantastic build quality and battery life, however my laptop is knocking on deaths door (and I won't be buying another one) so I would like a tablet with full windows on it. I massively wanted a surface pro 2 (wacom pen = amezzin photoshops) but its far out of my price range. Even the surface pro 1 is a hundred squids more than I want to pay and the battery life is poor. I have spent about a month trawling the interwebs, forums you name it, looking for something that might give me a similar experience to the surface pro but without spending any more than £300. £301 is too much.

So, I've arrowed it down to 3.

• Dell Venue 11 pro (atom version, refurb)

Screen size closer to the surface tabs (which I prefer). Has an emming effing pen (although I hear its shite) but extras such as keyboard dock and pen would start to drive the price up

• HP omni 10

Pretty much identical specs to the dell tablet. Slightly smaller and dimmer screen (don't want). No keyboard dock available. No goddam pen. Reported good battery life.

• Asus T100

Crappier screen. Comes with decent keyboard dock, so no extra spending. Has to charge overnight. Ripe with ports. No pen support. Good battery life.

Has anyone had/tested one or more of these?
    Which is the best bargain?

P.S. I buy a new computing system about once every 6 years (no joke), so something that'll fail at 13 months will have me rocking in a corner.

P.P.S I can't spend any more time researching, I am becoming detritus.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFJEEBUSHELPME Best 10" Windows 8.1 tablet for £300 or less.

Ironically I'm building a Dell venue 11 pro as I type.

Here's my mini review, btw I'm quite a negative person so I'm good at seeing the faults/issues, not so good at seeing the pros:

Pros
    Nice sharp screen, 1080p
    Replacable battery.

Cons
    Slow, it's got a Core i5 1.6ghz but doesn't feel very nippy. If you are looking at the atom version I'd say that would be a step too far.
    Too small for my liking. Too much right arm movement means my eyes aren't that good anymore, I like a larger screen size
    It's fecking heavy, I have a Lenovo Yoga 13 as my main laptop and this thing feels double the weight of that but half the size.
    A lot of play in the hinge when docked with the keyboard.
    Only 1 USB port (seriously Dell?), no USB ports on the keyboard dock.
    Can't be docked on the desktop dock with the keyboard dock attached so you have to dettach each time.

I have no experience in the other 2.

Thanks to beerman

Cosmicpore (29th May 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: PLEASEFORTHELOVEOFJEEBUSHELPME Best 10" Windows 8.1 tablet for £300 or less.

Oh another one for the Cons - it's very noisey. It has a fan which seems to constantly run.

In short, avoid this POS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The i5 version has a fan and is heavier than the atom versions. I've also read that the i5/i3 versions are a bit flimsier/squashable/creaky due to the fan system.

Have you hooked it up to a monitor/keyboard/mouse to see how it runs as a PC?

The three that I've mentioned have the same baytrail processor as far as I'm aware.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's another thing about the dock. It docks with it standing vertical so would have to go next to any monitor. Again, you can't dock it with the keyboard attached so what are you supposed to do with that whilst docked?
    So in PC mode I can see annoyances.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I'd stretch the budget by maybe £50 and get a second hand core i5 Lenovo Yoga 11. This may be biased as I have an i7 Yoga 13 and love it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the atom/baytrail thing in an 8 inch Toshiba encore.

also consider the hp x360, watch the video on pcworlds website and at least you get a decent 500gb hard drive, 3usb's and hdmi

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...83564-pdt.html

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    That's another thing about the dock. It docks with it standing vertical so would have to go next to any monitor. Again, you can't dock it with the keyboard attached so what are you supposed to do with that whilst docked?
    So in PC mode I can see annoyances.
    Can't the dock be bypassed completely? i.e. Hooked up to a monitor through the micro HDMI and wireless keyboard/mouse through the usb port? What benefit does the dock actually have?

As for 50 squids more for something better, my options would open up quite a bit, but its not an option at the moment. I've read good things about the lenovo though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    I have the atom/baytrail thing in an 8 inch Toshiba encore.

also consider the hp x360, watch the video on pcworlds website and at least you get a decent 500gb hard drive, 3usb's and hdmi

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...83564-pdt.html
    how do you get on with the baytrail processor?

Not so keen on the 360 laptop, probably not wise to have the screen so close to one of the HP fans from hell.

Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE=Cosmicpore;3765738]how do you get on with the baytrail processor?QUOTE]

they are far from fast lol, patience is the key..

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnzie View Post
    Why?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have the atom version of the venue. It is responsive as it gets on a tablet, nippy and not that heavy. The only con in my eyes is the lack of power from the atom (flash struggles) and i hate win 8.1.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got the Dell xps 10 which is the previous version of the Venue and its rocks ;-)

Don't get the Pro version as we have the Dell Latitude 10 Pros at work and they suck ass.