Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default OSX 10.10 Yosemite and IOS 8 betas were both released last night

So it was the WWDC keynote last night and Apple showed a first look at OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 betas.

I've got both installed to see how they run - my Macbook is an old one (late 2008 Aluminium C2D) but it's running fine

OSX 10.10 is here:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/

Every bit as powerful as it looks.

An elegant design that feels entirely fresh, yet inherently familiar. The apps you use every day, enhanced with new features. And a completely new relationship between your Mac and iOS devices. OS X Yosemite will change how you see your Mac. And what you can do with it.
    Coming This Fall

Redesigned interface.Completely new. Completely Mac.

With OS X Yosemite, we set out to elevate the experience of using a Mac. To do that, we looked at the entire system and refined it app by app. Feature by feature. Pixel by pixel. And we built great new capabilities into the interface that put need-to-know information at your fingertips. The result is that your Mac has a fresh new look, with all the power and simplicity you know and love. Learn more
    So much more to see at a glance.

The new Today view in Notification Center gives you a quick look at everything you need to know now — upcoming events, reminders, stocks, weather, and more. Add widgets from the Mac App Store to customize what you see.

Spotlight is brighter than ever.

With a new search window and rich, scrollable previews of your results, Spotlight makes it easier than ever to find things on your Mac. And now it finds information from Wikipedia, Bing, Maps, and other sources, too.

Powerful built-in apps.Do everyday things in extraordinary ways.

One of the best things about a Mac is that it comes loaded with state-of-the-art, beautifully designed apps you’ll love to use every day. In OS X Yosemite, those apps give you new ways to do some of the things you do most. The apps you use to surf the web, read your mail, send messages, and organize files have a simpler, more elegant look, and we’ve enhanced them with great new features. Learn more
    Safari

The new, streamlined toolbar in Safari puts your most important controls at your fingertips and gives you more room for what you’re viewing. Safari also gives you faster performance and more control over your privacy.

Mail

Now Mail lets you send large attachments more easily. You can annotate documents and fill out forms right in your email messages. Faster performance means you’ll get your email more quickly, too.

If you have an iPhone, now you can send and receive both iMessage and SMS messages right on your Mac. Add people to group conversations, and remove yourself when you want. Even record short audio clips to add your voice to the conversation.

iCloud Drive

Store any type of file in iCloud and access it on any device. With iCloud Drive, you can organize your files in the cloud the way you like, create as many folders as you want, and add tags to find files faster.

Phone Calls

Now you can make and receive iPhone calls on your Mac. So if you’re working on your Mac and your iPhone rings in another room, you can leave it there and still take the call.

SMS

The text messages on your iPhone — including SMS and iMessage — are now available on your Mac. Send and receive. Read and reply. All without picking up your iPhone.

Handoff

Now your Mac knows the last thing you were doing on your iOS device and vice versa. So you can start something on one device and instantly pick it up on another.

Instant Hotspot

Turn on the personal hotspot on your iPhone with just a few clicks on your Mac. So as long as your iPhone is nearby, you can get online with your Mac.

Apps are about to get even more amazing.

We’ve created new tools — even a new programming language — for app developers to build the next generation of apps and games. And that will make the Mac experience even richer for you.
    Learn more

Test-drive OS X Yosemite. And make it even better.

The OS X Beta Program gives you a sneak peek of OS X Yosemite before it launches. By participating in the program, you’ll be able to try out pre‑release versions of OS X and let us know what you think.
    Learn more

And iOS 8 is here:
    iOS 8 is the biggest iOS release ever — for developers and everyone else. But that wasn’t the goal. We simply set out to create the most natural experience. Each enhancement has a purpose. Every new feature deserves to be a new feature. Each function is more considered, each next step is more efficient. It all adds up to an even better experience — one that is pleasantly surprising at first and becomes utterly indispensable before you know it.

What makes iOS 8 the world’s most advanced mobile operating system?

It’s the details. The innovations. The complete experience. It’s the fact that you can now see (and edit and organize) every photo you take on all your devices. That you can add your voice right in a text message. And that your health and fitness apps can now communicate with each other, with your trainer, and even with your doctor.
    We’ve also provided developers with deeper access and more tools. So some of the most amazing features in iOS 8 are being created right now. You’ll have new keyboard options and even more ways to share your content. And you’ll be able to use iCloud and Touch ID in ways you never have before.
    It’s going to be a great Fall. But for now, here’s a preview of some of the things iOS 8 will do for you so you can do more than ever.

Photos.
    Every photo you take. Now on all your devices.

Every photo, every edit, every album now lives in your iCloud Photo Library, easily viewable and consistent on all your devices. Automatically. The all-new Photos app makes it simpler than ever to find and rediscover your favorite photos. And you can make every shot look even better immediately after you’ve taken it with powerful new editing tools.
    Learn more

Messages.
    Actually LOL. OL.

Now Messages lets you connect with friends and family like never before. Tap to add your voice to any conversation. Send a video of what you’re seeing the moment you’re seeing it. And easily share your location so they know right where you are.
    Learn more

Details make the experience. These details make it brilliant.

In iOS 8, you’ll find a convenient new way to respond to notifications. Helpful shortcuts to the people you talk to most. And time-saving features for managing your mail. All of which make the experience of using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that much better.
    Learn more

Our smartest keyboard ever.

iOS 8 makes typing easier by suggesting contextually appropriate words to complete your sentences. It even recognizes to whom you’re typing and whether you’re in Mail or Messages. Because your tone in an email may be different from your tone in a message.
    Learn more

Family Sharing.
    Sharing with your family comes naturally. Now it comes to all your content.

Family Sharing makes it easy for up to six people in your family to share each other’s iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases. Whenever one person buys a new song, movie, or app, everybody gets to share. It’s also easier than ever to share family photos, a family calendar, locations, and more.
    Learn more

iCloud Drive.
    Any kind of file.
    On all your devices.

The good news: You can work on any file, anywhere. The bad news: You can work on any file, anywhere. That includes presentations, PDFs, images, and more — right from iCloud. On whichever device you’re using, including your Mac or PC.
    Learn more

Health.
    An entirely new way to use your health and fitness information.

Now your activity tracker, heart rate monitor, and other health and fitness apps can talk to each other. Which means they’ll be able to work even harder for you. And all the information is accessible in one easy‑to‑read dashboard.
    Learn more

iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Connected like never before.

Things are about to get even better for people with multiple Apple devices. Now you can start an email on one device and seamlessly continue on another. And iPhone owners can answer phone calls on their Mac or iPad, and even send SMS messages from any of them.
    Learn more

Spotlight.
    Brighter than ever.

Sometimes you’re looking for a contact or an app. Sometimes you’re looking for answers. Spotlight now gives you suggestions from Wikipedia entries, places nearby, trending news, and more. It’s even smart enough to recognize context and location to offer you the most relevant information.
    Learn more

Just wait until you see what app developers do next.

iOS 8 is the biggest release for developers since the introduction of the App Store. We’re giving them new tools to extend the reach of their apps and opening up new opportunities for them to take advantage of iCloud, Touch ID, and more. Which means you’ll soon see exciting new apps with capabilities that were never possible before.
    Learn more

Developers — and the iOS apps they create — have changed the way we all interact, learn, entertain, work, and live.
    Watch the film “Apps We Can’t Live Without.”

iOS 8 makes a more powerful business partner.

iPhone and iPad have become the devices of choice at work simply because they’re the devices of choice in daily life. And it gets even better in iOS 8 with new productivity, security, and device management features.
    Learn more

5 Thanks given to reverend

ant3b (3rd June 2014),  Bald Bouncer (3rd June 2014),  jimbo77 (3rd June 2014),  leigh46137 (3rd June 2014),  raelmadrid (3rd June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: OSX 10.10 Yosemite and IOS 8 betas were both released last night

Was it a fresh install or a VM?
    tempting to return to iPhone for the integration aspect, Hell if only to get away from the KitKat mess!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I won't be jumping at this Yosemite it's a proper release. I'm not liking where OS X is going, they are trying to make it more and more like iOS, not good!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I won't be jumping at this Yosemite it's a proper release. I'm not liking where OS X is going, they are trying to make it more and more like iOS, not good!!
    Convergence isn't always a bad thing as it allows more seamless integration. As long as it's not removing features then I don't see why things shouldn't be like that.

The ability to make & receive phone calls on my Mac is going to be a killer feature for me. Looking forward to it already.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As somebody who is constantly relying on my iPhones Hot Spot feature the auto hot spot is a nice feature, no password needed and nothing broadcasting to others is a nice feature.

SMS and Phone Calls are great but the bit that got me the most was the feature that allows me to start something on my phone and continue it on my mac or iPad or vice versa. I am sometimes not at my mac but need to start writing an e-mail on my phone and I usually save it to drafts, now I just go to my mac and it will be there waiting for me on the left of my dock.

Airdrop between devices is another useful feature, as is iCloud Drive but the costs an speed of the service will make or break this one.

Don't know if i can really risk putting it on my machine as a main os, might put it on a virtual to have a play

Scottio

Thanks
    Karma Level

In case anyone doesn't already know... iOS 8 will not work on iPhone 4. 4S and above only.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Some fresh ideas from this one. Loving the idea of phone calls etc. I'll wait till the release before I jump
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks good but as with every OS update compatibility is always an issue. I work as a Dj and often certain issues pop up. Friends are music producers and had a mare on last upgrade. I won't upgrade on my main Macbook pro until i know my key programs will run smooth.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting. Can u elaborate a little on that bobby? What program's didn't take well to OSX upgrades? Logic, cubase, etc?

Cheers

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Interesting. Can u elaborate a little on that bobby? What program's didn't take well to OSX upgrades? Logic, cubase, etc?

Cheers

DJ OD
    I use Traktor Pro 2 to Dj with as my main program. I work as a Club Dj and mess about with music . Logic etc. On the last OSX updates it caught me with my pants down as i updated and did not check it, went to work and i was stuffed. Luckily i had cds as a backup.

Thanks to Bobby Bouché

DJ OD (3rd June 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm still having grief on Logic with a screen draw problem, it only started for me recently but some people have been having issues since Lion first landed..
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks to blaggard

DJ OD (3rd June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I might try this in a parallels vm. Honestly I've not been disappointed by a MacOS release since Leopard.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I'm actually quite liking Yosemite - it does look a bit Fisher Price but I guess in a way it's just the modern stuff they're always aspiring too. The dock seems controversial but I take that much notice I couldn't really say what the massive changes are. I think it's just the newer icons and a translucent effect like it had back in the early days of OSX.

Speed wise it's running fine - it felt really clunky at first boot on my old Macbook C2D 2GHz but it seems to have settled in for now and browsing is flying.

As for IOS 8 that's another matter. The first few IOS 7 betas were the worst betas I've ever seen out of Apple in terms of issues, but this takes the biscuit. It's the price you pay for running beta software at the end of the day though and by b4 last time it was really settling in nicely so hopefully it'll get there quicker this time around.

I haven't got the Continuity stuff working yet so trying to work that out as that would be the most useful thing for me in being able to just swap between devices easily.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I signed up for the beta but all I got was a screen saying they would email me when it was available. Did I miss a link ?
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

That's all I got too

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is only a developer beta at the moment, the public beta is coming later.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've read somewhere that this works in a VM within Fusion, but not on Parallels for now.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'v got a dev account and just installed it under fusion - will have a play over the next day or so.

oE.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Been checking out Yosemite ..hoping it's a bit more speedy than Mavericks.. took a while to get itself sorted but now have to say it does look polished..
    I only installed it on my iMac as I use my Macbook for photography and can't afford to have incompatabilities..
    Littlesnitch is incompatible in case that is of interest to anybody..

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast