Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Son found a phone, back to owner, no 'reward'

My lad (12) was fishing the local Marina Friday with a mate and he came home having found an iphone 5. I initially said he should have taken it to the cop shop but in all fairness, I did tell him to come straight home from the Marina and to not go elsewhere.

I figured I'd hand it in next day but he managed to find a contact on the phone called 'mother' so I rang it. Sure enough the guys dad answered and I explained my lad found his sons phone etc. and he then passed the message on to his lad along with my phone number... couple of minutes later the guys missus called me and arranged pick up next day (Saturday).

By now, my son (who is more apple Iphone savvy than me knows it's not a cheap phone) is excited in thinking he's in for a few quid 'reward'. Didn't happen, she turned up, he went to the door and explained he found it etc. and she said 'Thanks for that, he's been panicking like crazy' etc.

I don't believe in doing things for reward but rather doing the right thing and I believe in Karma anyway, but that philosophy is a little hazy on a young person. Feel a bit peed myself now to be honest lol.

A fiver would have been nice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Son found a phone, back to owner, no 'reward'

bung your son a £10 in a few days say woman dropped it off, least he will feel he's done good and that its worth the reward. Tight arse cunt for not leaving a reward though.

20 Thanks given to consoles

Show/Hide list of the thanked

akimba (23rd June 2014),  Basset (26th June 2014),  corskey (23rd June 2014),  Delboy_1976 (26th June 2014),  Detector (25th June 2014),  flumperino (25th June 2014),  Geko (25th June 2014),  Godscrasher (19th July 2014),  greens117 (23rd June 2014),  GTI (23rd June 2014),  ivrytwr3 (23rd June 2014),  littlebilly1 (24th June 2014),  nonecks (26th June 2014),  Over Carl (25th June 2014),  plug1 (23rd June 2014),  Realist (25th June 2014),  SiE (23rd June 2014),  tigro (26th June 2014),  Twincharge (28th June 2014),  WotTheFook (28th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah a mate of mine was on the flip side of that, some kids found his wallet with a few hundred quid in it as he was off to the travel agents to put a deposit down or something. Anyhow the kids did the right thing and took it to the Police who contacted me mate, who went and picked up his wallet.

He said to the officer
    "Can you give me the kids address as I will slip them a tenner each", NOPE Data Protection blah blah
    "Well can I leave £20 with you and you drop it round", NOPE cannot leave items with us blah blah
    "Can you give them a ring and see if they are happy to meet me or something", NOPE not going to happen

He was like "they found me money and I know it wasn't end of the world if I had lost it but for them to be so honest I just wanted to reward them but there was no way of doing it which is shitty."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Same happened to a lad I know, found a very expensive handbag with a new iPhone loads of perfumes, purse full of plastic, he saw the car drive off and leave it on the floor.

He couldn't access the phone to see a number to call, and didn't feel comfy rooting through the back for any address, so he hung about for an hour.

Some women came back in the car, black 4x4 Merc brand spanker, was looking around the car park, under cars. So he went over and said are you missing anything she said, yeah my handback, and he said I've got it in my car.

So they walked over, and he explained how he couldn't call and didn't go rooting, and she took it and said ah thank you so much for that, and off she went.

He said next time she can fuck right off snotty bitch haha!

Like the 2nd posters idea, I've done that with a a lad who said he lost a fiver in Asda and was little upset as he needed it for milk bread and some sweets. I bought the stuff for him, and then left a fiver with the customer services, and told the lad to go check incase it's been handed in.

He was made up.

Small things just make your day.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks to BigBrand

Over Carl (25th June 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Found 24 durecell batterys in a Argos car park, handed it in, found a wallet on a station platform with £50, found a iPhone on my Taxi seat! guess what no cunt ever said thanks ! But the moral is if it ain't yours stick by the law ;-/

Sent from my CUBOT X6 using Tapatalk
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find in my job delivering palletised goods that when you go above and beyond, those who are very wealthy find it hard to thank you for your effort or even acknowledge it. Those that look as if they don't have money to spare, ie oap's on a tight budget etc, seem much more appreciative and offer a tip. I don't look for any tips or expect anything in return for my effort, and also find it arkward to accept and often refuse to take a tip if I don't think it's worthy. But I believe in treating people how I like to be treated, and if a youngster did a honest good deed, a reward would be a nice thank you and a good example to set.

I lost faith in the majority of people a long time ago unfortunately and maybe the examples posted above is the life lesson these days!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ignore - forum weirdness
    Last edited by blacksheep; 24th June 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

found a purse before with a pair of spunky knickers inside. and not my spunk before anyone asks
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Mate found a phone as above, called a number and found its owner.

Delivered the phone back and got accused of stealing it.

Life's great yeh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would always return it to the owner. I also wouldn't expect a reward. Can't understand why everyone thinks they should be given something for not nicking anything.

3 Thanks given to Geko

CominAtcha (26th June 2014),  Cosmicpore (25th June 2014),  CzarJunkie (26th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was walking along the canal with my friend when she got a message from my phone, which I hadn't sent. Then another message arrived saying that a bag had been found on the side of the canal and the finders phone number was attached. She called it and it turns out it had fallen out of the bottom of the buggy on the side of the canal. We arranged to meet outside a train station that was out of his way and he was even driven by his friend to meet us.

I really didn't have anything on me at all to give him, neither did the people I was with, no were we near any cash points. I mean, it was a nice leather bag with smartphone, ipod and wallet inside so I was unbelievably grateful that he had been so kind as to find me rather than just give it in to a police station. I think about how nice he was every now and then.

The fact that he may have been expecting a reward hadn't even crossed my mind, though the thought of giving him one (shut it) had. Now reading this thread I'm wondering; does that make me an ungrateful cunt?

Thanks
    Karma Level

repent your sins, inboxing a few select pics and you're past injustice will be cleared

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    I would always return it to the owner. I also wouldn't expect a reward. Can't understand why everyone thinks they should be given something for not nicking anything.
    I agree 100% that I wouldn't expect a reward. However I think is reward is fair/reasonable - to find an item can take time (and it's no use finding a phone 24 hrs later once a car has been over it). Then you put yourself through the moral dilemma of what to do next (see post 4), then safely store the item and make yourself available for the owner to collect it.

Considering that, a reward of £5-10 doesn't even cover the service provided.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree at the very least I'd give a 5 or 10 as a thank you so agree with the idea of dropping your son a few quid.

Ex GF's teenage son managed to drop his iphone twice in 24 hours. on the second time we received the phone call from the person that found it so met the guy and gave him a few quid.

Spent the next 6 hours in a text communication (pretending to hand randomly texted the last person i.e the mate we knew he was with) pretending to be the person that found the phone offering to return it for £20. The son turns up with his mates (admitting later his plan was to snatch it and run) to find his Mother stood there with it to give him a bolllocking for losing it twice in a day.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Misses and I were walking with the baby last night and found a plastic folder on the floor with some documents in it. Looked closer and they were application for counselling - with a bunch of pre-written cheques and vouchers.
    Phoned the counselling company and they sent someone to come pick it up off us - saying they had a very concerned client of theirs on the phone recently.

Didn't expect anything, didn't want anything - could you imagine that you have just signed up for counselling (which on its own must be a difficult thing to do) and then lost everything in regards to it on the way home? It enough to put someone over the edge! Makes you feel good about yourself for doing something for someone!

Now the misses is very honest like that, and when big massive multinational companies screw up orders (like Amazon sending us the much better model of a CCTV camera instead of the cheap crappy one we paid for) she wants me to contact them and inform them of their mistake - I don't agree with this and never do!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I found a phone in the back of a taxi after a night on the sauce. When it rang I answered, it was the girl who lost it. I told her my address and she got another taxi and was waiting for me when I jumped out of mine. She snogged me and gave me a hug then jumped back into the cab. I was disappointed with the extent of my reward too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by grrrd View Post
    Misses and I were walking with the baby last night and found a plastic folder on the floor with some documents in it. Looked closer and they were application for counselling - with a bunch of pre-written cheques and vouchers.
    Phoned the counselling company and they sent someone to come pick it up off us - saying they had a very concerned client of theirs on the phone recently.

Didn't expect anything, didn't want anything - could you imagine that you have just signed up for counselling (which on its own must be a difficult thing to do) and then lost everything in regards to it on the way home? It enough to put someone over the edge! Makes you feel good about yourself for doing something for someone!

Now the misses is very honest like that, and when big massive multinational companies screw up orders (like Amazon sending us the much better model of a CCTV camera instead of the cheap crappy one we paid for) she wants me to contact them and inform them of their mistake - I don't agree with this and never do!
    I know what you're saying but this was a 12 year old lad doing the right thing with a iPhone 5.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Basset View Post
    I know what you're saying but this was a 12 year old lad doing the right thing with a iPhone 5.
    No I agree - If possible throw some cash - if not possible go a little over the top when thanking them, that memory will always last them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by New Art Riot View Post
    I found a phone in the back of a taxi after a night on the sauce. When it rang I answered, it was the girl who lost it. I told her my address and she got another taxi and was waiting for me when I jumped out of mine. She snogged me and gave me a hug then jumped back into the cab. I was disappointed with the extent of my reward too.
    What was you hoping for? Oral Herpes?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I find it and it's worth something, it's mine. Fuck all this moral high ground. I make sure I don't lose anything and I've never lost anything of value in my life, apart from the odd fiver when I was younger and out on the piss. And as for you cunts moaning about no reward, you're worse than the cunts like me who would keep it.

In answer to the op, I think it shows suspect parenting on your part when your child expects a reward. Why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast