Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Making games for interactive whiteboards

Work has upgraded all whiteboards to interactive board running windows, mainly to run some shit inhouse flash based stuff the head office has made.
    I want to be able to make some super simple games for class. The complexity really doesn't need to be much more than say, hangman, with the ability to add body parts with facial expressions changing etc.

i played a game yesterday in which i had 2 teams, each represented on the whiteboard by a character parachuting over alligator infested water, as the teams got questions right they erased their opponents parachute strings until they fell to their death in the water.

Whats the best prog to make something like this? The question and answering would be handled spoken so no sort of quiz question answering needs to be in software, just the ability to remove the strings. My drawing skills are probably adequate, so i just need some game creation for retards to 'bring my creations to life'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Making games for interactive whiteboards

Smartboard has loads of interactive games, mostly educational based though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

smartboard is a website? I cant find anything that fits your description via google.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    smartboard is a website? I cant find anything that fits your description via google.
    It's basically a type of touch screen whiteboard which you can use with a projector. It is used for presentations (in my experience) and you can "write" on it using pen shaped pointing devices of different colours.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Smartboards are interactive whiteboards, its a brand. I'm guessing yours isnt the Smartboard brand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you don't have any luck finding any software to do it yourself, and you are being accurate with the description (and there aren't going to be any "Oh could you also add..." moments halfway through) then host your graphics somewhere mate and I will knock it up for you.

Thanks to rIKmAN

beansontoast (15th June 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    It's basically a type of touch screen whiteboard which you can use with a projector. It is used for presentations (in my experience) and you can "write" on it using pen shaped pointing devices of different colours.

Ooh, I thought he was refering to a website that had some games to DL, I know what the boards are, been suing them all weekend and we dont have the smart board branded ones, just some cheap thing with a windows PC plugged into it.

We do actually have 2 models, one comes with a little caddy of 3 different coloured pens and an erasor but this one is only in the demo room and not in the classrooms so I only have access to 1 pen and have to dive into menus to switch colours, which is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, since its windows based I thought there would be some simple software that I could use to cobble together games quickly. I almost managed to make a 'game' on warioware DIY on the DS, and the interface for that is horrific, so I should be ok with a well developed PC app.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rIKmAN View Post
    If you don't have any luck finding any software to do it yourself, and you are being accurate with the description (and there aren't going to be any "Oh could you also add..." moments halfway through) then host your graphics somewhere mate and I will knock it up for you.
    Thanks rIKmAN, but I would probably want to make a few different gmaes every week, I play Hangman, tic tac toe, blockbusters, bingo etc with the kids but I would need to be able to tune the apps for different levels or different grammar points or vocab, plus I'd enjoy making them to some extent too

Gonna spend some time searching this week now, I've had the weekend using the boards and I know their limitations so I have a better idea of whats possible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

No probs mate, the offer is open

In terms of software, are you looking for something where you have to actually code, or something which is more point and click based to create them?

Thanks
    Karma Level

point and click, i know nothing about coding.

game construction kit style things would be fine, the level of interaction is minimal. If you have seen warioware DIY, something like that would be perfect with a PC interface.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Game Maker Studio.

They have just made the standard edition free and you can export to windows.

Has a very simple drag/drop interface so you could make the type of games you are after easily.

Drop me a PM if you need more direct help with it.

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

U could do these in powerpoint just click to the next slide every time they get a question wrong?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I'd agree with Spenny, GameMaker is pretty much as easy as it gets for beginners without knowing how to code.

akimba has a point as well, but it sounds like you want the challenge of making it yourself rather than just a slideshow - good luck!

Thanks
    Karma Level

nah, slideshows wouldn't be good enough, there would need to be a shallow gameplay element. I'll give that Game maker studio a bash.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Finally booted up gamemaker after losing interest a while ago and then totally forgetting about the idea.

So far I am enjoying the experience, although hurdles are very frequent and making even my simple idea seems far more difficult than I expected.

Has anyone else tried gamemaker studio and got anywhere?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Follow a beginners tutorial for a simple game mate, there will be loads for GM on their site and through Google.

Once you have done that you can apply what you have learnt to your own game idea from the OP, but having a base to go from is important (ie. the tutorial) otherwise you will have no idea of why you are doing things, and what effect they have on the game.

Don't give up, keep plugging away and it will click eventually.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My idea is going ok, I'm just stealing sprites from Super Mario World but I have got to a point where I want to have some balloons which I can pop (via touching the screen) to make a character suspended by them fall and without some fancy tricks the balloons and floating character looks wooden. If I was making a platformer I would probably have less problems. I cant find any sort of tutorial that helps with this, but I haven't looked for a few days so I'm not giving up yet.