Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Android My First Android -Lg G3

Hi All,

After 6 years being an iOS user I took the plunge and got myself a Lg G3 yesterday.

This is my first ever Android handset and if I'm being honest, this is more of a trial to see if I can get away with it, or get rid and get the next iPhone when it comes out.
    My plan is to try this (on a lesser contract) and if i can't get away with it, sell this and my iPhone 5s to fund the next iPhone. If I end up liking it, ill just sell the iPhone and pocket the cash.

I'm not really going to root the device unless there is a good reason to do so that I'm missing?

So far I'm finding things ok, the screen is amazing, better than anything I've seen in terms of clarity, really puts the retina display to shame.
    I have most of the apps I use on my iPhone on it, and am finding it quite interesting to use.

As I have been an iOS user for 6 years all my contacts are in iCloud and I use my iCloud e-mail as my primary one. Needed to export my contacts as a v-card to google and sync them that way, and I use the amazing Mailbox app for my iCloud e-mail.
    Other things I'm missing at the moment are photo stream, iTunes Match and Airplay. I have signed up for Google Play and am currently uploading my iTunes library to it so I'm hoping this will replace match (all be it i can't upload 6000 tacks as its over my limit!)

I have found some weird workflows that i would expect to be a little better

For example, when clicking a link on the twitter app for a youtube video, it will launch a browser, then ask how I want to open the video, then after selecting youtube it will open the Youtube app and play. Once I'm done there is no way to get back to twitter other than app switching. Is this right? Or am I missing something completely here? In iOS the video opens in the twitter app, plays and takes me back to the twitter app if i hit the X

The only other thing thats worrying me is the battery life on this thing, i have nfc, bluetooth both turned off and also have the screen brightness down to 70% but in the last 3 hours i have used 26% battery, but haven't really been using the phone that much! I can't see this lasting me the whole day like my iPhone does? Is this right? or do I need to give the battery a few days to settle down and get its true full charge capacity and performance after a charge or 3?

Cheers

Scottio

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My First Android -Lg G3

If I watch a YouTube video, pressing the back button takes me back to whichever app was running before.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you go to the settings it will tell you what is using your battery. Im finding the battery life is ridiculous. I have bluetooth on all day at work and probably have the screen on for at least 30 mins and i often have 80% left. Its normally on 20% plus when i charge at night after a few hours of screen time.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Get smoothsync for contacts and calendar, I'm all android these days but still run my life on my iMac, smoothsync keeps it all together.
    Last edited by blaggard; 23rd August 2014 at 11:50 AM.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks I got a similar app for calendar which has done it too, was free which helped.

As for battery see the screenshot, I have changed my display to 50% this morning but it's still taking over 50% of my battery

Cheers

Scottio

http://scottio-productions.co.uk/
    XBL : Scottio200 :: PS3 PSN-ID : Scottio200 :: Twitter ID : Scottio200

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scottio200 View Post
    Thanks I got a similar app for calendar which has done it too, was free which helped.

As for battery see the screenshot, I have changed my display to 50% this morning but it's still taking over 50% of my battery

Cheers

Scottio
    But that's 50% of battery usage, not battery capacity surely. If the battery had gone down to 80%, 10% would have been the screen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes he's right that's battery usuage if you go click on that screen it will tell you how long the screen has been on let us know how long please

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah, nice one. Still getting used to this

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think having the screen on for nearly 3 hours is going to drain the battery. Mine is at 78% and my screen has been in for 54 mins which tallies up with yours as its been on for 3x as long and youve used 3x as much battery.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The battery is pretty poor on the G3. I have one.

However... You can buy a spare battery (when they are available). You can also whack in an SD card. I have the 3GB Ram, 32GB storage version. I also stuck in a 32GB card.

I also don't like the OS. I will be rooting at some point to stick a vanilla rom on.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Surprised to hear about poor battrry. Compared to my HTC One its amazing and has never run out for me. Happy with the OS as well if im honest but again im comparing it to my HTC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As an iFanboy myself I have often had a check to see if I can get on with other devices.

In my experience, most handsets running android have had battery drain issues. Some fixable with patches, rooting or updates but some not at all. I also have a google nexus tablet which I use a lot but it's weakest point is it's battery.

I actually preferred a windows phone when I ventured away from iOS and it was a hardware fault that dragged me back to iOS.

such was a deal breaker for me and maybe for you. iPhones are far from perfect, but I'm some areas they trump the competition.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

liveseytowers (23rd August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nearly 3 hours screen time and just under 50% Is pretty good to be honest

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks to fanni

liveseytowers (23rd August 2014)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I can think of a number of reasons to root your phone, but I wont go into that too much.
    All I will say is this has to be the best screenshot of my HTC One M8 ever.

I use my phone alot, it's what keeps my business going!
    Show me a Smart Device that comes close...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DejaVu; 23rd August 2014 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    As an iFanboy myself I have often had a check to see if I can get on with other devices.

In my experience, most handsets running android have had battery drain issues. Some fixable with patches, rooting or updates but some not at all. I also have a google nexus tablet which I use a lot but it's weakest point is it's battery.

I actually preferred a windows phone when I ventured away from iOS and it was a hardware fault that dragged me back to iOS.

such was a deal breaker for me and maybe for you. iPhones are far from perfect, but I'm some areas they trump the competition.

DJ OD

Just to clarify, I was comparing the G3 to the battery performance of my previous android phones. Compared to an iphone it is an improvement in battery. I was expecting to get 2 full days with fair use and screen time on the G3. I get about a day and a half. iPhone friends, get less than one day of comparable use. I can also have an additional battery in my pocket and get 3 days of use before I need to see a charger.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use Dropbox to sync all of my pictures on the phone, so obviously with their other apps and desktop I can get the pics on my ipad, etc. In regards to battery life I've always had to charge my phone every day, I've got a Samsung S4, I wouldn't say I'm a massively heavy user. I agree with the odd workflow things you need to do on Android, I find some of the menu options strange. But I'm not sure if that's because I went from HTC to Samsung. Based on Dejavu screen shot though I could be tempted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yesterday was my best day battery wise, took it off charge at around 8am and it lasted until 11:30, this was with fairly moderate use phone calls, bt connected to car, Wi-Fi on all day, picking up emails on 3 accounts, and recording 4k video.

I did install an app called battery doctor which seemed to help a lot! It said I had 34 hours of charge at start of day. I duo think the battery has settled in now as this morning it said 15 hours, will see how it goes.

After yesterday I'd say I'm getting the same battery as my iPhone 5s.

Cheers

Scottio

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Wonder if the G2 uses the same battery form. My G2 battery is ridiculously good. The screen is so good indoors I have it at about 40% brightness. From a 100% charge it's used 2% in 75 mins of pretty much constant wifi usage. Bonkers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing, whenever my phone tries to save energy it turnes off Wi-Fi, I thought Wi-Fi would be less power consuming than using 4g??

Thanks
    Karma Level

on my old desire, having wifi enabled while you were out would drain the battery like hell if it was set to search for open points all the time. I think the OS has improved since then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast