Close

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Eating mackeral everyday?

So I just tried these mackerel in a can things from Tesco, small 125g pots with a variety of flavoured sauces, each can comes in roughly at 200 calories.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ.../?id=258574702

Most of the food I eat offshore is fucking rank to say the least, most of it is fried and the cook doesnt put much effort in at all. Meal times are also quite close together (11.30am, and 4.30pm), in between those times, its only whats in the fridge to snack on which is also fucking rank.

I would like to substitute one of these meals with one of the fish portions, just wondered what the health implications were of eating one of these a day?

I also take high strength krill oil which has done wonders for me in the past with cholesterol levels etc.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Eating mackeral everyday?

Well as you are out at sea a lot if you grow fins and a tail it can only be good!

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a family member that eats tinned mackerel most days. You're more in danger of getting sick of it than sick from it (bro science).

Just as a side, if you're allowed to cook something for yourself, something that is non-perishable: tin of baked beans and tin of tuna in a pot, cook the two together and bosh with a pita bread. Marvelous, surprisingly balanced and takes 3 minutes at most.

Thanks to Cosmicpore

CallmeGoose (8th August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.john-west.co.uk/product-i...epper-couscous

I have a bit of an addiction to these at the minute. Theyre delicious.. not amazing so far as reduced calories go but they are tasty, easy to prep and dont need to be kept in a fridge!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure it's a good idea eating it everyday due to the mercury levels. http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

Thanks
    Karma Level

CallmeGoose I didn't realise you worked offshore, you never mentioned it before ...

3 Thanks given to JonEp

greens117 (9th August 2014),  Over Carl (17th August 2014),  supraman54 (8th August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah I'd be worried about mercury levels - eaten these before, not great but last for ages and quick couple mins heating (maybe with a pack of microwaveable rice should do the job : lookwhatwefound.co.uk . Basically consumer mres some are shite some aint too bad, possibly worth a look if the cook is that bad.

Thanks
    Karma Level

think it would be wise to get a new thread up with healthy meals you can eat without loads of crap in them

i have started reading all the ingredients on stuff that goes down my throat in the past week and cant believe some of the shit that is in our food

purchased some wraps ready to make up some tuna and salad once i googled what was in them they ended up in the bin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    think it would be wise to get a new thread up with healthy meals you can eat without loads of crap in them

i have started reading all the ingredients on stuff that goes down my throat in the past week and cant believe some of the shit that is in our food

purchased some wraps ready to make up some tuna and salad once i googled what was in them they ended up in the bin
    I have switched to wraps as bread was making me feel uncomfortable and bloated and tbh I think that "modern" mass produced bread, your average sliced loaf is tasteless.

I'd be interested to know which wraps and which ingredients?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Picked them up from lidl

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've noticed a huge life difference between bakery bread (few days starts to go mouldy) and packaged sliced white bread (yes I know white is shite but prefer it for toast).

You'd think something thats sliced with more surface area would be more prone to going mouldy etc but not the case. Bakery stuff few days, pre sliced mass produced crap a week or so. Obviously something has been put in there to prolong life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason for tasteless bread is due to the government reducing the amount of salt allowed in products. Salt gives bread it's taste. Yes, there are small amounts of preservatives that help to keep bread soft and mould free. All mass produced bread is not the same, there are a number of brands that use crap ingredients and hence produce a crap product.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use a local "genuine" bakery for my bread now. It is only good for a couple of days as it is not crammed with preservatives and other crap but the taste and texture is fantastic.

The baker was telling me how his bread only contains 4 ingredients unlike supermarket crap that usually contains about 20 apparently.
    I did read an article a few weeks back that was saying how Subway bread contains nearly 50 ingredients in an attempt to fool is into thinking it is fresh and tasty. It is actually part baked and frozen and upto 2 years old wtf !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by aloogobee View Post
    Not sure it's a good idea eating it everyday due to the mercury levels. http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
    Nothing wrong with eating mackerel everyday, I have done for the past ten years. As you can see from my photo I am in tip top shape
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Thanks given to tigro

Ashley (16th August 2014),  CallmeGoose (16th August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

All commercial bread use flour improver which is a emzine that is or was derived from human hair.

A real loaf should have just flour, Yeast, Water and a little salt.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...semeat-scandal
    Human hair

Amino acids are your body's building blocks, and while they can be good for your health, not all amino acids are created equal. L-Cysteine – an amino acid used to prolong shelf-life in products such as commercial bread – can be found in duck and chicken feathers and cow horns, but most that's used in food comes from human hair. It has been reported that most of the hair used to make L-Cysteine comes from China, where it's gathered from barbershops and hair salons. You can avoid L-Cysteine by buying fresh bread from a local baker, as it is not an additive in flour. Steer clear of fast food places such as McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts and Burger King too, who all use L-Cysteine as an additive.
    Human hair … in bread? Photograph: Romilly Lockyer/Getty Images

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Victorians had to pass laws to stop chalk etc being added and then I think in the 40's it was that they required a min of certain nutrients in flour.

Thanks
    Karma Level