Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default All Android Handsets could now potentially run Windows Phone 8.1

Today marked the release of HTC's One M8 on Windows 8.1 exclusive to Verizon. Nothing major you'd think about this, just a new option... wrong.

Microsoft have just made a major update that means any Android enabled handset could potentially run Windows Phone 8.1, so in the XDA community, things are buzzing around about Dual Boots and the like.
    The Windows 8.1 HTC device has identical specification to the Android version.

The main issue being in the past was that Windows Phone was closed source. Microsoft have now decided to open the doors slightly to try and get the 3rd most popular OS more accessible to the masses and perhaps improver their current market share.

Interesting read over on Engadget -
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/19/htc-one-m8-windows/

Most notable statement -
    Thanks to Microsoft'slatest update, it's now possible for manufacturers to slap the third-place smartphone OS onto existing hardware (replacing Android), and HTC is the first mainstream phone maker to take advantage of the opportunity. Spoiler alert: The hardware of the Windows Phone-equipped One M8 is completely identical to that of the Android version launched earlier this year, aside from gratuitous Verizon and Microsoft logos. What makes this new variant so special is on the software side.
    Link to a video demo of the HTC M8 compared to Android version.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/19/60...EYC2RJ3ze_BPcE

Would you Dual Boot with Windows? So would I! Bring it on.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 19th August 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

Zoots (19th August 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: All Android Handsets could now potentially run Windows Phone 8.1

I used to run Android on a HTC HD2 (windows mobile 6.5). Originally it was from the SD card but it wasn't long before someone hacked it and got it to boot from the NAND. The HD2 was a brilliant phone for hackery, Ubuntu, Windows phone 8, Android, Meego and more could be ran on it.

If a Windows 8.1 build comes out for the Nexus 4 then I would put it on just to have a play but I doubt I'd dual boot my daily driver (nexus 5).

It's a good move from Microsoft though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fantastic. 8.1 is great on a touchscreen device and I never fancied a nokia windows phone. Wouldn't see the point in dual boot though, other than the fact that the windows app store can't compete with the android app store. Would love to try it on my dinosaur of a HTC phone, but it would never get the support.

I'm still on gingerbread ffs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

wonder if this will work on tablets as well so you could dual boot android and windows tablet

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Nokia Lumia 930 running Windows Phone 8.1 and I absolutely love it. Fortunately the Nokia is also a top bit of hardware, but its nice to know that I would have more choice in the future.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin