Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Hospitals told to cut parking costs under new guidelines

Hospitals told to cut parking costs under new guidelines

Hospitals in England have been told to cut the cost of parking for certain groups under new government guidelines.

Ministers said the relatives of people who are seriously ill or have to stay in hospital for a long time should be given free parking or reduced charges.
    Concessions should also be offered to people with disabilities and NHS staff whose shift patterns mean they cannot use public transport.
    Last month Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt told MPs costs were "just too high".
    Mr Hunt said the guidelines had been drawn up to put an end to the stress of "unfair" charges.
    The Department of Health guidance makes it clear that NHS trusts are responsible for the behaviour of private car parking contractors.
    For the first time the government is recommending that hospitals should use "pay-on-exit" schemes so motorists pay only for the time they have used in a hospital car park.

'Hold to account'

The guidance also says trusts should waive fines if a visitor or patient overstays through no fault of their own, for example because treatment has taken longer planned, or when staff have to work beyond their scheduled shift.
    Mr Hunt said: "Patients and families shouldn't have to deal with the added stress of unfair parking charges.
    "These clear ground rules set out our expectations, and will help the public hold the NHS to account for unfair charges or practices."
    Mr Hunt had come under pressure from Conservative backbench MPs to put an end to the "rip-off" costs.
    Hospital car parking charges were completely abolished in Scotland on 1 January 2009.
    All but four hospitals in Wales have stopped charging for parking. Those that require payment have been told to abolish charges once their contracts with private parking firms expire.
    Patients with certain chronic conditions in Northern Ireland do not have to pay to park their car.
    Earlier this year it emerged that parking firms paid more than £6m to the DVLA for the names and addresses of drivers in the past year, an increase of 28%, with more tickets issued on private land.
    The rise came after clamping cars on private land, which can include everything from hospital and college car parks to motorway service areas, was banned in England and Wales in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28905695
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Hospitals told to cut parking costs under new guidelines

Doesn't go far enough and guidelines are not laws.

NHS parking must be free.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

5 Thanks given to 4me2

Ashley (23rd August 2014),  blaggard (23rd August 2014),  stevo25 (26th August 2014),  ViSaGe (23rd August 2014),  Zoots (23rd August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I totally agree. The parking should be free and the meals are ridiculous, I was behind a couple the other week who paid £19 for 2 small meals and drinks. This is canteen food, not a cafe. As for parking, the trust I work in charges staff £30/month for parking which doesnt guarantee a space.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Doesn't go far enough and guidelines are not laws.

NHS parking must be free.
    Don't agree. Some remote hospital yes should be free. But any where there a hospital and some one who to park and go shopping no.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Karma Level

Maybe then a GP can give you a parking token, when being sent to a hospital? Then the patients or their drivers/families can park free without randoms dropping in for free parking.

But it really should be free for patients and visitors for a good few hours per day. After all, no one really wants to be there FFS regardless.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I took my son to hospital when he fell at school at whacked his head. he started feeling sick as the evening wore on. we where there a while, even thjough children take priority. I had no change on me, only my wallet with bank card. I argued with the security staff and refused to pay, but to no avail.
    I got charged £4 as I Was there for 2 hrs. had it been a looooong stay of +4hours it was well over £10.
    it is one of the most expensive car parks where I live.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In NW London it costs me £8 when I go into outpatients. I have to pay for 4 hours. That is the minimum. It also asks for your number plate, because if by some miracle you don't need to wait too long, they would hate for you to help someone else save the £8.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

what pisses me off is that the people who work the hardest in hospitals - the nurses have to pay parking fees which cost a fortune every month. my daughter is at pinderfields hospital and she is a nurse and it costs her a small fortune evry month for the privilege of parking there. the doctors don't worry about any charges because the LOCUM doctors in pinderfields are getting £300 per hour according to my daughter!!!!
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Staff at a hospital in Stoke on Trent have to pay between £7 and £50 to park. My office is around a mile away to the main hospital so only pay £7 a month. If you want a premium space in selected areas then its £50. I think the other rates depending on which car park are £16 and £20ish.
    What upsets a lot of staff is that the builders that are on site don't have to pay.
    The local travellers moved there caravans on to site for 2 weeks and they didnt get a fine!