Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff after disasters

Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff after disasters

The airline will become completely government owned, and a new chief executive will be put in place

Malaysia Airlines is to cut 6,000 staff as part of recovery plan after being hit by two disasters this year.

The reduction in staff numbers represents around 30% of its workforce of 20,000.
    The airline will become completely state owned, and a new chief executive will eventually be put in place.
    Investigators continue to hunt for flight MH370, the Kuala Lumpur to Beijing flight which went missing in March.
    The MH17 air crash in eastern Ukraine is also under investigation. The plane was shot down on 17 July, with the loss of all 298 people on board.
    The recovery plan will cost about 6 billion Malaysian ringgit (£1.1bn, $1.9bn).
    Khazanah Nasional, the state investment company that owns a 69% stake in the troubled firm, will take 100% ownership.
    "The combination of measures announced today will enable our national airline to be revived," said Khazanah's managing director Azman Mokhtar.
    "Success is by no means guaranteed - while it is imperative that MAS [Malaysia Airlines] as a critical enabler in national development is revived, public accountability for the use of the funds mean that it cannot be renewed at any cost," he added.

Recovery plan

Long-haul routes will be slashed, and the airline aims to return to profitability by 2018.
    Malaysia Airlines warned on Thursday that it had seen a sharp decline in weekly bookings following the two air disasters.
    However, the company has been in trouble over the past few years, and has lost billions of ringgit in that time.
    The firm will be completely delisted from the Bursa Malaysia stock exchange by the end of 2014.
    Relevant assets, operations and liabilities of Malaysia Airlines will be transferred to a new company by 1 July 2015.
    The current chief executive, Ahmad Jauhari Yahya, will continue to lead the firm until the new company is formed next year.
    Travel expert Simon Calder said that the staff cuts and business reorganisation should allow the company to turn its fortunes around.
    "There is a slice of business to have, but nothing like the scale and dominance it once enjoyed," he said.
    Competition from low-cost airlines for short-haul flights, coupled with the expansion of long-haul Gulf carriers, had eaten into the firm's profitability in the past, he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28978881
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Malaysia Airlines to cut 6,000 staff after disasters

6000 is a surprise as I was expecting it to fold completely.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    6000 is a surprise as I was expecting it to fold completely.
    State owned probably saved it, shame as I have always found Malaysia Airlines one of the better ones and really nothing they have done wrong or could have done to avoid it.

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (29th August 2014),  CzarJunkie (29th August 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree. I feel for the staff that will soon be jobless as in my mind they did nothing wrong as a whole. Could have happened to any airline.

Granted the families questions are still unanswered but currently there are no answers. Have used Malaysia airlines previously and wouldn't hesitate now.
    I think they would be wise to "sell all assets to another company" and return under a new name ;-)

Wouldn't be the first time corporations have done that.