Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Rundown of this summers US pilot shows.

Still feeling empty from the loss of Breaking Bad, Almost Human and Hannibal (which will be back) I have been on the search for something half decent to fill the void. So when I saw the sheer volume of new shows coming out of america this summer, I decided to watch all the pilots and make a list of the good, the bad and the fugly.

Here beith the list with categories I have deemed to be important. Following is a list I am still to watch. New pilots seem to be airing every few weeks so the list keeps growing...

Title: 7 Deadly Sins
    Synopsis: Morgan Spurlock (the guy from 'supersize me') looks at the sins.
    Boobs:
    Verdict: Pilot was gluttony. It was fucking weird. It was like an episode of derren brown in the way it was shot. The interviwed people talk straight into a camera. Its like watching an arty 'short', but its 20 minutes long
    Second episode watched?: No

Title: Almost Royal
    Synopsis: Two royal poshies go to america and act awkwardly to elicit a response from some (mostly) southern yanks. Ali G-style mockumentary.
    Boobs: No
    Verdict: Amusing at times, the bloke is particuarly entertaining. Wouldn't be sad if I missed an episode.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and all subsequently.

Title: Black Box
    Synopsis: A neuroscientist is a schizophrenic
    Boobs: no, but she's a sex pest
    Verdict: Weird and not what I was expecting in any way. Premise was good but the way it was shot was bizarre. Like, film-noir with a voiceover and sultry saxophone music and a realy heavy blur whenever the camera was on her. Never again.

Title: The Bridge
    Synopsis: A body is found on the boarder between america and mexico. Both sides of the boarder have to investigate.
    Spoiler:
    even more so when the body is found to be in two pieces. Even more so when each piece belongs to the other side...

Verdict: Seems ok. Its the US version of the popular Danish series which aired in the UK.
    Second episode watched?: Not yet

Title: Chasing Life
    Synopsis: She finds out she has cancer.
    Verdict: Dull. But that may be because the episode was setting up the series.

Title: Crossbones
    Synopsis: John Malcovich is blackbeard, set in the carribean, and some dude has been sent to kill him
    Verdict: Quite good. Good actors, big budget and could be quite promising. Visually refreshing, well directed but the script is a tad dull.
    Second episode watched?: No, but I dont know why. I have all the episodes on my HD for future viewing.

Title: Extant
    Synopsis: Halle Berry went to space and has an alien baby in her. Oh, and her husband buillt a robot child that looks bare real. Oh and some sneaky rich-people agendas are happening in the background.
    Verdict: The pilot was intruiging. Large budget, her husband is the handsome one from ER.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and all subseqently. Its dragging terribly but my sister loves it.

Title: Finding Carter
    Synopsis: A teenage girl find out she was kidnapped as a child and her mother is really her kidnapper. Her biological family bring her home while her kidnapper, whom she loves, is on the run.
    Verdict: Really interesting premise. Other than that, its just a show for teenage girls.

Title: Gang Related
    Synopsis: A hispanic policeman has his roots with the cartel. He wants to be a good guy but the cartel keep calling in favors...
    Verdict: Seems ok, certainly watchable but there wasnt any exciting element to it, not enough to keep me watching anyway.
    Second episode watched?:No

Title: Halt and Catch Fire
    Synopsis: Some peeps in the 80's are stealing each others ideas in a race to build innovative personal computers. Has some basis on real events.
    Boobs: No, but some sex
    Verdict: Eh, I texted the whole time. Dull as fuck. Thought it would have been interesting because it was about computers. It wasn't.

Title: Intruders
    Synopsis: Some 'beings' take over humans bodies. But some of the humans don't know they have been taken over. Some do. Some are inbetween. Its hella confusing. John Simm is in it.
    Verdict: I totally zoned out it was that dull. I'll have to rewatch the whole episode. Atmospheric, slow moving and some lovely scenery.
    Second episode watched?: No.

Title: Jennifer falls
    Synopsis: Hot shot lawyer loses her eewell paid job because of her anger issues and has to move in with her mum.
    Verdict: Very different to anything else a watched. Its a comedy (sitcom?) with most of the cast from my name is earl. It also feels like you are watching my name is earl. I bet they made it.
    Second episode watched?: I don't want to admit it, but yes.

Title: The last ship
    Synopsis: A disease wipes out most of the most of the world except for some people on a ship. The people have to find a cure or something.
    Verdict: Its ok, good premise but the woman is extremely annoying and a bit over dramatic which is off-putting

Title: The Leftovers
    Synopsis: 2% of the worlds population disappears, rapture-style. The show follows the aftermath for the people left behind and is set a year after the event. Christopher Ecclestone is in it. Liv Tyler is in it. Justin Theroux is in it.
    Boobs: Yes
    Verdict: Great. The Ecclestone episode sole it for me but back to the pilot. Very intriguing, well directed and a very simple show. Focuses mainly on relationships and peoples personal flaws. GR are creepy as.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and all subsequently. My favourite series at the moment.

Title: The Lottery
    Synopsis: The whole world is infertile. It has been six years since a baby was born on earth. America have fertilised 100 embryos in vitro and to boost the presidents popularity, they have a 'lottery' to find the 100 surrogates.
    Boobs: No, but shagging
    Verdict: Nice premise. Has little to do with the lottery and is all about the corruption and finding out how the infertility came to be. Its a wee bit boring though.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and all subsequently

Title: Matador
    Synopsis: A cop goes undercover as a baseball player to find out some shit with the promise of freeing his brother from jail
    Verdict: Meh. Its fairly light-hearted and the episode is obviously a set up for the rest of the series. Its ok, people would like it.

Title: Married
    Synopsis: A disfunctional hippy-ish couple. They are on the screen and they say things.
    Verdict: Its ok, different from all the cop shows. I ant put my finger on this one. It's indy-ish but I think it really tries hard to be that way. Characters are likeable/awkward.
    Second episode watched?: Yes

Title: Murder in the first
    Synopsis: Cop show. Malfoy is in it.
    Verdict: Its good actually, I'm just hard to please these days. The best of the cop-show bunch. Its quite serious, good storyline etc.
    Second episode watched?: No, but I don't know why, have all episodes on HD

Title: The Night shift
    Synopsis: Some people on a night shift in a hospital. Comedy?
    Verdict: Pish. Stopped watching after 5 minutes. Supposed to have a charming/funny guy? maybe? Eugh. Scrubs it aint.
    Second episode watched?: NO

Title: Outlander
    Synopsis: Set just after the war. A reunited couple go to scotland for a holiday. Somehow she goes back in time to the colonial era and meets a bunch of hairy scots who call her a 'hoor'
    Verdict: Very different to anything else on TV. Looks like a british production, reminicent of something you'd find on sunday evening on BBC1. I mean, its narrated for chrissakes. Could be ok, but was quite dull and was another setting-up episode.

Title: Partners
    Synopsis: Some old geezers trying to be funny or something. Kelsey Grammer is in it.
    Verdict: Had a laughter track. Stopped watching at the 5 second mark.

Title: Power
    Synopsis: Drug lord decides he wants to start a legitimate life and opens up a club which is successful. His wife is aware he does bad shit but doesnt want to know the details. He still has a drug empire but clearly hates what he does.
    Boobs: Yes. Everywhere. Its 45 minutes of boobs and beatings.
    Verdict: Very gangster. For what it is, its quite good and I can see people enjoying it. Not my cup of tea, a bit dark, a bit too serious. Hah, what is Hannibal then?

Title: Reckless
    Synopsis: Police corruption and the lawyer wanting to expose it.
    Verdict: Eh. It started off really well. Really well. Then it became clear that some awful love story/tension would be going on in the background which ruined what would otherwise have been a good plot.

Title: The Strain
    Synopsis: And old vampire has been building connections to allow his return. An aircraft is attacked and as it touches down the authorities find that everyone on board is dead. Or are they?
    Verdict: Fairly graphic if you like that kind of thing (Not as bad as say Dexter or Hannibal) and the pilot had some good bits of direction. Following episodes to not follow suit and it becomes a clown race.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and reluctantly, all subsequently

Title: Satisfaction
    Synopsis: Business man finds his wife shagging another guy. When he confronts the guy it turns out he's a pr0stitute and the mans wife is just a client. The husband has the pr0stitutes phone and then in a bizarre turn of events, becomes a pr0stitute himself.
    Boobs: Yes
    Verdict: Well. Its one of a kind thats for sure, not in a good way. Its weird. I suspect it might attract the '50 shades of grey' crowd. I think its supposed to be sexy?
    Second episode watched?: Yes, but I dont know why

Title: Taxi Brooklyn
    Synopsis: A cop has her license revoked and ends up using a skilled taxi driver for high-speed persuits. Odd couple show.
    Verdict: Entertaining. Its like a 10p version of Almost Human. Full of american 'banter' and not much detective work. In an unusual turn, the taxi driver and the detective have no underlying romance, which is much appreciated. Not the best series in the world but I enjoy it for what it is.
    Second episode watched?: Yes, and all subsequently

Title: Tyrant
    Synopsis: A middle-eastern guy with an american family travel to middle-east-land for a family wedding. The guy is the son of a dictator and his brother is a disgusting brutal POS.
    Boobs: ish
    Verdict: Dark. Dark, Dark, Dark. Very moody and reminded me very much of homeland. Wraught with tension and atmosphere. Fantastic pilot (the best so far) but difficult to watch at times.
    Second episode watched?: No, but I will

Title: Undateable
    Synopsis: As title
    Boobs: N/A
    Verdict: Laughter track. Didn't make it through the first scene.

Title: You're the Worst
    Synopsis: A couple of laid-back twentysomethings 'hook up'
    Verdict: Undecided. It's like the american version of Him & Her, but nowhere near as good. Not terrible. I mean, we all watched friends right? Its better than friends. Man, friends was such a pile of shit.
    Second episode watched?: Yes

Title: Legends
    Synopsis: The bourne identity. A guy that is particuarly talented at assuming new identities for long-term undercover operations, starts to discover that his own identity is not real. Sean Bean is in it.
    Verdict: Looks promising. Sean Bean is pretty brilliant in it. The episode is shrouded in intrigue and has certainly dangled a carrot. Final line of the episode: "WHO AM I?!"
    Second episode watched?: Not yet.

Still to watch:-
    Houdini
    Hysteria
    Manhattan
    Red Band Society
    The Divide
    The Knick
    Forever
    Hand of God
    Red Oaks

All this 'cos they bloody cancelled Almost Human...
    Last edited by Cosmicpore; 9th September 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: List updated/New pilot watched

16 Thanks given to Cosmicpore

Show/Hide list of the thanked

4me2 (21st September 2014),  akimba (16th September 2014),  beerman (9th September 2014),  c0axial (30th September 2014),  chesser (9th September 2014),  Ganty (9th September 2014),  Ginnerfreak (9th September 2014),  g_wizkid (17th September 2014),  koola2 (16th September 2014),  lagigolo (16th September 2014),  purpleanimal23 (8th September 2014),  reverend (16th September 2014),  scoobypatch (9th September 2014),  Shotgunjim (1st October 2014),  SpursSaint1 (9th September 2014),  z3spacial (30th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Rundown of this summers US pilot shows.

Two thoughts. 1. You must have a lot of time on your hands. 2. Not much boobs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

spurlock is a twat, so theres some fanny in that programme

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think I will wait to see which make a second/third season then get any that take my fancy on catch-up.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

The bridge, halt and catch fire, the last ship, the leftovers, matador, outlander, power and the strain all got a second series.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Bridge is a good series. Well... The Danish / Swedish one is ...!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really into the leftovers and resurrection. The last ship definitely shows promise.

Sent from my iPhone using some Tapatalk thing.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

Cosmicpore (16th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm reading the novel that resurrection is based on, to find out what happens a little quicker. Might read the leftovers novel as well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been watching Extant and it did drag for a while. Last few episodes it kinda all kicked off.

I fear it will be dropped or the story will just "end" soon tho.

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Been watching Extant and it did drag for a while. Last few episodes it kinda all kicked off.

I fear it will be dropped or the story will just "end" soon tho.

DJ OD
    Pretty sure it was cancelled mate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Pretty sure it was cancelled mate
    It hasn't been renewed or cancelled yet. Hopefully it'll be renewed as I'm 8 episodes into it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    It hasn't been renewed or cancelled yet. Hopefully it'll be renewed as I'm 8 episodes into it.

I would be extremely surprised if it got a second season. There's been a few series in the last couple of years with silver screen actors in, and none have been renewed.

Well, except 'The Following' which has somehow got a third.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just started watching The leftovers it's really weird but gripping.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Watched the first episode of Legends, the Sean Bean thing mentioned above. It definitely has promise and he is pretty good in it but I found most of the other acting or writing (or both) to be shoddy, which is a shame. I'll give it at least one more episode though.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Outlander deffo has boobs in it... nice too
    "The Best Things In Life Are Free..."

Get The Best Things in Life at the DF-DC Hub
    df-hub.servebeer.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just gonna start watching manhattan, seems to have a lot of good reviews. Anybody else watching it?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Just started watching The leftovers it's really weird but gripping.
    watched first two then struggled with number three, think its one of those where you have to have everything else switched off and concentrate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

update ......

Power, watched season 1 & 2 really enjoyed it

Extant, now watched season 2 also, not bad but if wasn't for Halle berry then id have stopped watching

Last Ship, nearly at end of season 2 and still watching although the english twat in submarine is annoying the tits off me

The Strain, watching season 2 at moment seems to be dragging a bit feel like only a week or two after the first season escapades

Black Sails, really enjoying this really needs to get some big fight scenes soon though

Thanks
    Karma Level

We are really enjoying extant. I think it's growing in every episode.

Our current favourite is Chicago PD we discovered it late and have been obsessively watching it since.

We were enjoying under the dome but it's gone from being a bit like lost to a bit like doctor who in the new series and we have drifted away from it.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks to maltloaf

Mobileman (25th August 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Me and the missus really enjoyed the Lucifer pilot.