Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice New phone from eBay. Have I been ripped off?

Won a HTC One M7 in Red for the missus 2 days ago. She loves the colour, condition, everything.

Phone was sent to my via Special Delivery, which I feel was a nice touch and it arrived this morning.
    I've since looked at the bidding history and suspect some foul play - although I cannot prove it was shill bidded (2 relatively new accounts boosting in increments of £10), I still feel like I got a good deal @ £220 for a new HTC One M7 in Red.

All is perfect apart from a common Manufacturing defect and the fact that HTC have informed me the IMEI number refers to a US issued Handset.

The defect, I know for a fact, because my old HTC M7 never had the screen protruding from the case by 2mm all the way around.
    The phone is less than 6 months old (since manufacture) according to HTC and the serial number.

HTC, although agree that it is in warranty would not (at first) take the handset back to repair and told me I needed to consult HTC in the US... Fuck that.
    Googling says there is no difference between the HTC EU or HTC US version of the phone (both GSM) and seems like HTC was trying to be anal.

I called them back and spoke to a much more helpful young lady. I explained in detail the whole scenario and she told me she will have a word with her managers.

A manager came to the phone and I explained the fault. As far as I am aware, the screen just needs reseating properly.
    No parts required. So they have agreed, for now, to fix the phone. Being picked up by UPS in the morning.

Since winning the auction, I've noticed the seller will not except the phone back (naughty), eBays Money Guarantee would argue with that I'm sure.
    Have I done the right thing or should I have thrown it back to the seller?

I did ask, once the auction had ended, for the original purchase receipt, but being that is was bought in the States, they haven't supplied it.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 8th October 2014 at 11:37 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New phone from eBay. Have I been ripped off?

Only you know of you did the right thing or not mate, if you wanted a refund then yes you could have had one as it was not as described (assuming the fault wasn't mentioned in the auction). If you got a good deal and the phone is being repaired then I see no reason for wanting to return it, doesn't look like the phone being a US model is going to cause headaches down the line. Most big electronics manufacturers seem to supply global warranty.

Thanks to evilsatan

DejaVu (8th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll likely end up with a new/refurbed as new unit won't you? I think you've done the right thing either way. Stop worrying about how you arrived where you're at

Thanks to Zoots

Thanks
    Karma Level

My take on it:

Manufacturing defect is a fault and you can claim through eBay so you can return the phone but often you lose cost of return postage.

The IMEI number isn't a fault unless the phone was advertised as having a UK IMEI number.

So this way round you get what you want at the price you wanted, but you have a little nuisance because it won't be with you until it gets back. However then the phone should not have any faults as it has just been refurbed.

The other option means you may lose money to return it. Then whether you actually end up better or worse will be determined by the next phone you get.

Looks like a case of swings and roundabouts to me.

Thanks to Over Carl

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The only other thing on the list is a European HTC Handset gets 24 months warranty whereas the American only gets 12.
    However, so long as the missus looks after it, I think all will come good.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thing is HTC like Samsung, nokia, apple etc have warranty for regions and countrys being a HTC IMO id send the bugger back and get refund using the fault as your get money back reason

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldnt accept any form of shill bidding. Defect item unless stated? I wouldnt spend the time getting it fixed if it was supposed to be a1. Money back and report em for shill.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I would report the "suspected Shill" bidding and let ebay investigate.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP