Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Black horizontal line appeared on my monitor

I've googled this but cant seem to find any conclusive info.

I have a KOIOS 1440p monitor which is about 8 months old and I had 0 problems with it until today when it suddenly developed a line across it, presumably 1 pixel high.

I've tried using a different input from a different source, with a different cable, so that rules out anything but the monitor being at fault, but does anyone know if its the actual panel, or could it be the controller board inside? I have seen a number of those board for sale online so if its a case of switching that out, I could look into that, if its the panel that's fubar, I'm boned. The panel itself is an LG one that comes from Apples grade B stock, so the panel itself shouldnt be of low quality, I imagine.

There's no warranty here in China beyond a fucking week, so I'm looking at a charge regardless.

bignamebrandsFTW!

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Black horizontal line appeared on my monitor

I have seen similar problems with TVs that were fixed by replacing an X or Y board, this isn't my area of experience though but if they are cheap can't hurt to try. If anyone on here repairs a lot of TVs then they would be better to advise. Have you tried a generic search on google?

Thanks
    Karma Level

searching brings up the same question being asked, with replies but no feedback from OP, and many people with the same problem but with utterly useless replies. I couldn't find anyone specifying if it was the panel or the controller but then virtually none of the post bought up by google are from anyone who has a clue what they're talking about.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tab bonding most lightly , if only 10 months old send it back

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by plug1 View Post
    Tab bonding most lightly , if only 10 months old send it back

Is tab bonding beyond the repair of mere mortals? Theres no warrenty here in China, although some sellers will offer some sort of flimsy promise, I don't recall the details when I bought this one.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Taken from here:

Hi
    My problem ended up being a bad TAB bond to the LCD panel itself. See the last photo at:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/~langhof...um_1271775431/

The problem area is in the red circle. TAB = Tape Automated Bond. The 4661 LCD panel has a couple dozen TAB connections, each with numerous parallel connections. Each TAB connector is just a thin ribbon, and touching the bad one with a non-conducting probe (a chop stick in this case) caused the lines and shadowing to go nuts. Touching the other TAB connections had no affect.

Taking apart your TV is dangerous, and powering it up while it is apart is more dangerous, so I'm not recommending you try this. I did not try this until the TV became unwatchable and I had resigned myself to buying a new one. With the arrival of fall and cold mornings, the lines had become large black areas that would linger through an entire show sometimes.

First, I removed the TV back, then the base (including the plate it attaches to), speakers, plastic bezel & power switch, and side panel jacks (screws only; I left the electrical connection). This leaves the LCD itself. To get at the TAB bonds, I removed the metal frame around the LCD panel. Once the metal frame is off, there is not much structure, nor anything holding the LCD to the backing other than the TAB bonds themselves. I then propped the LCD against a wooden speaker on a wooden floor. I removed the power switch from the bezel and reconneted it to the main board so I could turn the TV on. I also reconnected the speakers just in case the audio output requires a load.

After confirming which TAB bond was bad, I applied a piece of non-conductive foam wrapped in electrical tape over the area circled in red. It was just thick enough to compress the tab bond when the metal frame was re-installed. The picture has been perfect since. Good luck.

Thanks to evilsatan

plug1 (21st October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I found a video on it, but its not like that at all, my issue is like a line of dead pixels, I noticed that it goes very light blue on back screens, but it black on windaz.