Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Baby monitors...

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good baby monitor? Preferably one with video (not essential), and that can also pick up babies breathing?

Seen the ones in the Apple Store but as usual they are ridiculously over priced.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Baby monitors...

When my bairns were young, I was paranoid to fk about cot death, so I bought one of the monitors with the sensor mat that listened for the heartbeat/movement....it was really sensitive and I was very impressed with it. They do stress these things are only meant as an alert and possibly an early warning of something not being right, and arent obviously foolproof....but it did give me added piece of mind. I lent it to my sister after my 2 no longer needed it....she broke it and I never got any money for it or owt off her.

Thanks to tronads

CallmeGoose (25th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a couple of different makes and the best one for use was BT.
    I think the model was the 250, its not got video or heartbeat sensor but does have a good range with temp reading and lullabies which has been priceless......
    The parent unit has been dropped and bashed loads and it is still going strong....
    Our first child only had to move and that would be enough for us to be upstairs buzzing round him but our second has been a more lay back approach which i think has made him a less needy kid but there like chalk and cheese anyways so my thinking could wrong

Thanks to JONNYG

CallmeGoose (26th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

+1 for the bt 250. We got ut off ebay for £15 and got a foscam night vision cctv camera for £45 off amazon. Dont personally like the idea of those pressure mats, makes your more nervous imo.

Thanks to grrrd

CallmeGoose (26th October 2014)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is be tempted to go for one with a pressure mat. Due to our last MC , I'd be paranoid as fuck that something would happen. Found a tomee tippee one that I like the look of

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414317427.362368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Want a flubit invite?

Thanks
    Karma Level

We had a pressure mat, was more trouble than it was worth - loads of false alarms etc.

I'd get any decent audio only monitor you can find and then get a wireless IP cam. Much cheaper solution.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a pressure mat with my little one. It was pukka. Never had a false alarm. Quite often forgot to turn it off after I'd taken him out and got in bed and it would go off. So.. Got tested often. Never had any false alarms. But he was a big lad, 10 lbs at birth, which may make the difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its been a while since we had our kids, our eldest is 22 and all we had were plug in FM audio transmitters I think bought from Argos and if you didn't pick the right channel you ended up listening to next doors baby or the parents having a domestic.

Pressure mats are new to me, do they sense the presence of Rolf Harris in the cot or something ?

Thanks to JonEp

CallmeGoose (27th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We used a Tommee Tippee one with both our kids that has a pressure mat - no issues with false alarms. Would highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We have used 2 Tommee Tippee monitors (first child had the one without video stream (as linked/pictured above), second child had one with video stream), both worked very well with very few false alarms. That being said though we have been quick to remove the sensor pad on both occasions though as our babies have both loved to roll around in their cot from an early age.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We currently have the tommee tippee one and pain in the arse during night feeds forgetting to turn the bugger off when you pick the little one up so it goes off, had a couple of false alarms while in the mosses basket so the pad never got put in the cot mainly due to the not turning it off and forgetting to turn it back on we just realised it wasn't really needed and we would spend more time watching the flashing light than paying attention to the baby. I also think that the same thing would happen if we had a video monitor spend all the time watching her sleep over the thing.

We just use it as a standard baby monitor for audio now and it is fine the best bit is the temperature reading on it its a godsend.

I was all for spending a fortune on a monitor with video that I could watch while at work with lullaby's and all the other things that they can do and a separate sensor pad monitor for breathing etc we like gadgets don't we. but I am so happy that I didn't.

For me 3 months in and my first child and its scary the amount of stuff out there for a baby and you realise its pretty much all pointless you forget to use it and realise you don't really need it anyway.

A few things that I consider have been worth buying
    Bugaboo Chameleon 3 buggy, is awesome goes over anything kids football every Saturday and trips to the beach no problem and maxicosi cabrio fix car seat with adaptors for the pram, had no intention of using them but for those quick stops in asda it is a great solution.

Shaped foam thing for the bath, makes bathtime a lot easier and enjoyable for everyone

A bit early probably but the little green sheep mattress we got the twist, we were expecting a nightmare when moving to the cot after what everyone else had said, no problem put her down and she was gone, also buy decent sheets we have some from asda and some from John Lewis the Asda ones are shocking compared to the JL ones. we have only had 2 nights when she wouldn't go to sleep and only did gone 2am but she had been asleep most of the day.
    Lots of people said don't buy a mosses basket but it has come in to its own now baby is in the cot great for those naps during the day when the house is quiet as it is now in the living room

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I havent a feckin clue where to begin. All the stuff you need is mind boggling. Prams, moses baskets etc...

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

£880 for a fuckin pram? http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product...925300/type-i/

surely there are cheaper just as good options?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have 3 kids, oldest is almost 15. IMO all these extra gadgets like video etc are just a waste of money. A simple audio sensor with a good range is all you really need.

Moses basket is worth it as the cot is usually much too big in the early stages and as mentioned above can be used for daytime naps once them move to a cot.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, +1 for what hangman said... I have two kids aged 3&6 and half the stuff we bought has been a waste of cash...
    Biggest one was a double buggy, it cost 600 quid and it was used 3 or 4 times as she found it to hard to push round.

Thanks to JONNYG

Hangman (30th October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeGoose View Post
    £880 for a fuckin pram? http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product...925300/type-i/

surely there are cheaper just as good options?
    That's the all black where the metal bits are black not aluminium. but yeah they are expensive. Take a look at the Aston Martin Silver cross surf

We had a few criteria folded size, weight and wanted it to be good on soft ground/grass as we go to kids football every weekend and 4 wheels none of this 3 wheel stuff for stability seen so many go over going down steps.

I have an Audi A5 she has a Toyota corolla, the boot on the audi is big but pretty shallow so folding flat as possible was a huge requirement and we didn't want to be pulling the wheels off all the time the corolla is deep so it can stack but saying all that they are still not easy to get in if you have shopping as well.

Weight didn't want it to be difficult to lift and put in and out of the car as the kids will want to do it and I didn't want them scratching my rear bumper every time also if its light its easier to push.

Pretty big wheels and the small front ones can be replaced with big ones for tough conditions it has been fantastic on grass so far and the beach with just the small wheels.

It does other things too, the carry cot can be slept in not all can, interchangeable covers so you can change the colour if you want to buy a new set of covers (cheapish on ebay) no storing of a separate carry cot when you go to the buggy seat, its just a fabric basket that is removed and folds flat and it has a massive basket underneath again some are tiny and difficult to access. and you can buy loads of little accessories like cup holders if you desire.

We were concerned about the cost too, went looking at them all and nothing seemed to tick all the boxes mamas and papas Urbo2 was very close just the small wheels being the issue. the icandy ones were huge folded and expensive. I even looked in to buying all the parts from bugaboo and it did work out about £80 cheaper but no warranty yes you can buy all the parts so repairs should be easy. The best bit is they hold their value so 2-3 years down the line it will sell for £500 pretty easily. So yeah buying 2nd hand didn't really save us much. We almost bought a cossatto one but reading reports of some of them falling apart while in use put us off a little LOL

We got ours from a local shop in Farnworth (Bolton) called ShelleyTots sold us the maxicosi cabriofix car seat and the pram with pink covers and seat adaptors for £719 even beating the baby show prices and winstanleys pram world who are the cheapest online. so worth checking out your local shops to.

Watch out for the supermarket baby events you can save a fair bit, get on early as the stuff sells out fast. Watch out for nappy offers and stock up same with baby wipes you go through loads at. don't buy the change mats from asda they are crap we have an asda one and a kiddiecare one. Home bargains is great for tommee tippee stuff picked up the steriliser there for half RRP don't buy the microwave ones, they work but kill your microwave pretty quickly.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Having a baby is cheap. Regardless of which gadgets you choose to buy, or not.

They get far more expensive in later life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We just use a Foscam FI9821 webcam as a baby monitor with the LiveCams Pro app on iOS - works a treat and has been stable for over a year now.

Shame you just missed the Kiddicare shutdown as they had some bargains.

For prams and stuff just try and get a shortlist of some you like, head to a shop that carries them and get them to let you put it up and down and try pushing one handed etc as it's the ergonomics you'll be most concerned about. Kiddicare was good for that and it's a shame they shut down. We picked up the Uppababy Vista from them a couple of years back and it's still trundling along quite happily and they seem to be pretty popular these days.

As for car seats look at rear facing as that's the safest way and the way all car seats will be soon as it will be European law.

We've had two rear facing BeSafe car seats now - the first one an Izi Go from birth to about 7 months and now an Izi Plus and they've been fine. The Izi Go had a car base so you could literally just press a button and carry the seat out of the car - great for when they're asleep as you don't need to move them or wake them up which as you'll find will be worth it's weight in gold!

Mamas and Papas have an outlet in Huddersfield where they're based and you can sometimes pick up some bargains - they know how to charge there though!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

BT Audio only wireless one was what we had. By the time we got my boy out of Hospital he'd spent 3months of his life wired up to different monitors and alarms so we'd had enough of them by then.
    Friends of mine have spent thousands on top of the range alarms, prams, buggies etc. Does it make them a better parent than me?
    In my eyes it's just a waste of money. One thing we did spend a few quid on and did quite a bit of research into was a car seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast