Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Help on 6 Channel IP CCTV System - Upgrading Legacy 4ch System

A couple of months ago I set up a CCTV system for someone I know.

He had purchased 4 x Cameras (Co-ax, not IP), and a cheap and cheerful box to run the cameras. The box has 4 x coax inputs, 1 x coax output, and an ethernet port for remote viewing and management.

The box was installed and wired to the cameras and I only went to configure the box and get it online, but intructions were missing so I never could figure out how to get the recording function to work.

Then even more disappointment when we realised the box used Adobe Flash for the cameras, and neither of us had any joy viewing via our android handsets (even when I manually downloaded and installed flash).

He's now said he would like to add another 2 channels meaning we need a new box, and this would be a good time to get something that works with our phones as well.

Unfortunately it is desireable to keep the legacy co-ax cameras. If there is something with 8ch at a reasonable price this would be nice in case of future upgrades.

This will be for business premises so needs to be reliable and record in reasonable quality (I believe the cameras are around 1MP).

On the flip side, as he burnt a load of money getting some "professionals" to perform his original install, funds to actually get it all sorted are limited so we are looking are the cheaper end of the market. There is no server on site that we could use to store the recordings, or to connect IP Cameras to.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Help on 6 Channel IP CCTV System - Upgrading Legacy 4ch System

I'm in the middle of a big job but after a very quick google I found this, I didn't have time to read it but would it convert the coax cameras to IP cams thus make it an easier install?
    http://www.veracityglobal.com/produc...hwire-poe.aspx

I'm not sure what software exists but if it was converted to ethernet it may be possible to connect them all to a 10/100 switch then to an old PC set up as a server? This is me thinking out loud, not something I have ever considered before and not something I can think about right this second but will mull it over as and when I get time. I'm sure you have some switches but if not message me and I might have one for you.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (29th October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had thought about setting up a server, but to be honest if it's in a business envoironment I think a server only really works if you are willing to spend on RAID and redundant PSU's, then also needs a support agreement to check on it regularly.

Server would have been very nice to solve another issue they are facing, but they haven't got the budget for regular IT support, and I'm very reluctant to volunteer to support it indefinitely for free.

This needs to be a fit and forget type solution.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just setup an 8 channel KGuard system for a client with 8 COAX Cameras. The box is accessible over the internet and works perfectly with the KGuard Android App - even over 3G.

Only works properly with IE (using a browser) due to ActiveX Controls.
    Tiny URL'd to stop Google indexing it... http://tinyurl.com/lz2e6dg

Want a nose at it PM me for a (temporary - limited) login.

From there I can record and play back everything and literally control the box as if I'm at it.
    The software is also that good, I can install on my Home PC and have full control via the internet (once the tilt/zoom mechanisms are installed).

It's connected to a PC that is on 24/7 and the recordings are bunged onto a 2TB shared USB drive, there is also a server on site that also backs up the recordings too.

They also have a Swann setup from Maplins, which is total shit and I would avoid like the plague!

--edit
    I'm almost sure it's this one -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kguard-EL821-8-Channel-Surveillance-Storage-Black/dp/B00I4YRKIE
    Last edited by DejaVu; 29th October 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

Over Carl (29th October 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    I just setup an 8 channel KGuard system for a client with 8 COAX Cameras. The box is accessible over the internet and works perfectly with the KGuard Android App - even over 3G.

Only works properly with IE (using a browser) due to ActiveX Controls.
    Tiny URL'd to stop Google indexing it... http://tinyurl.com/lz2e6dg

Want a nose at it PM me for a (temporary - limited) login.

From there I can record and play back everything and literally control the box as if I'm at it.
    The software is also that good, I can install on my Home PC and have full control via the internet (once the tilt/zoom mechanisms are installed).

It's connected to a PC that is on 24/7 and the recordings are bunged onto a 2TB shared USB drive, there is also a server on site that also backs up the recordings too.

They also have a Swann setup from Maplins, which is total shit and I would avoid like the plague!

--edit
    I'm almost sure it's this one -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kguard-EL821-8-Channel-Surveillance-Storage-Black/dp/B00I4YRKIE
    That Kguard device looks interesting but how does the cloud storage work - I'm guessing you need to pay for it?

With your example setup, could the 2tb drive be plugged direct to it because I want to avoid using a server there.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

All the big companies offer things like this;

http://www.trendnet.com/products/pro...od=145_TV-VS1P

Then all you need is to have a computer running NVR software (Avigilon/Milestone etc)

Thanks to grrrd

Over Carl (30th October 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

it might be worth looking at hd SDI hybrid DVR's to make the system a little future proof

a little more expensive but it will accommodate your existing cameras and give you the option to use HD 1080p CCTV cameras rather than normal SD CCTV cameras when you decide to add more
    the difference in resolution / quality is night n day, much more detail

http://www.cameras-cctv.com/HDdvr/DV...EW-8-CH-RF2974

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Has support for SATA, USB or Network according to the Spec -
    http://www.kguardsecurity.com/global/p/el821/

Not exactly sure how the Cloud works, but reckon its a Paid for service supplied by KGuard.
    Would be nice to be able to use the likes of Google Drive or similar, but can't be sure if it supports it.

Their live demo is shit.
    I'll PM login for the one I have access to...
    Last edited by DejaVu; 4th November 2014 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

Over Carl (4th November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

For flash try photon browser, bit buggy and crashes every so often but usually good enough to get the job done - available for iOS too

Thanks to blacksheep

Over Carl (12th February 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

not like me to bump an old thread but iv'e just upgraded my home cctv system to a hybrid 8 channel hd dvr
    this one to be precise http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networ...istBid=t#cat-0

for the money it aint half bad and the supplied HD 1080p cameras perform better than expected

a couple of examples
    daytime HD 1080P frame capture example 1

daytime HD 1080P frame capture example 2

night time infra red only example 1

night time no infra red night lights only example 2

infra red in total darkness is impressive as well as low light without infra red
    much better than the qvis 600tvl dome camera i have which tends to just light up the centre of the image via infra red

for an off the shelf solution with a 400 quid price tag it's better than i expected the thing about hybrid dvr's is you can still use your existing cameras and add ( or replace ) HD cameras when necessary
    there's 2 HD cameras in the kit to get you started making it ideal as a starter kit or upgrade

now for the catch...
    the HD cameras supplied use rj 45 ethernet connectors and by just looking at the box might fool you into thinking the dvr will take IP cameras it won't
    the ethernet or should i say UTP sockets on the back of the dvr are for the samsung HD cameras only, standard definition cameras go to the standard BNC sockets
    what i am trying to find out is if the samsung HD cameras are common HD SDI with an RJ 45 connector rather than the standard BNC + power if they are then a common balun and cat5e cable would connect any make of HD SDI camera meanin you don't have to stick with samsung cctv cameras because there not cheap

if you only intend on using 2 HD cameras ( supplied ) the above won't concern you but it's would be nice to know you have a choice if it comes to more cameras

2 Thanks given to cosmicma

Over Carl (12th February 2015),  Teajunkie (12th February 2015)