Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice After advIce on cnc machine.

I want to start engraving dog tags etc but unsure if a cnc is an ideal move?
    i am completely in the dark where Mach 3 software comes in and have never had any experience with it.

Is there anyone here who could give me some advice or point me in the right direction.
    Im currently looking at a 3020t cnc machine which engraves carves and mills for about £400+

so before I spend anything can anyone help?
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: After advIce on cnc machine.

I'd assume those machines are PC-driven (parallel cable connection) rather than full independent CNC. I was tempted to get one myself a few months back but decided I didn't really have a use - just a big boy's toy to play with - and especially when I've got a factory full of guys willing to do foreigners
    I'd expect it's the same principal as Reprap 3d printers and the like - you can just upload a logo or enter some text and the PC does all of the coding for you. You just set the tool up and the datum point up and press go.

there's an ebay seller (probably drop shipper) registered in Portsmouth who might be worth contacting to see if a demo can be sorted.

There's also Pantograph Services for tags and machines who might be able to help - might even have some used equipment, you never know.

Might also be worth looking at a manual pantograph-style kit if you can pick one up cheap to see what value you have as a business, earning a bit up front before committing to something a bit more fancy and controlled.
    If it does take off, consider getting a machine that can engrave on cylinders so you can do tankards and drinks glasses too. Better to spend a bit more at the beginning rather than have to double-up on machines soon after starting up.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Thanks to chizh

Teajunkie (5th November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great thanks for the advice I will contact the eBay guy and see what we can do.

i have a mate who's a scottle agent so he may be able to get discount on a scottle unit for me I hope.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

been looking at these myself but the 6040 model i currently run cnc machines at work and have started sandblasting house plaques in stone and slate and looked at these to do the same in wood but they seem to get mixed reviews you can get the same machines from alibaba direct from manufacturer i think the guy in portsmouth is a drop shipper just cant decide what to do myself at the moment, have a look at this website http://stoneycnc.co.uk/prices/ a bit more pricey but backed by uk warrenty.

Thanks to robbo0070

Teajunkie (5th November 2014)