Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice SIP - ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Filtered

I've got a SIP server at a location runnning 3cx.

I wanted to swap it out with one running sipXecs so there were no limitations on lines on a free version.

I have internal calls and I can recieve external calls.

Problem is when I try to dial out, the server sends a SIP invite to my ITSP, but somewhere along the line it is being blocked by a router somewhere on the net which gives the ICMP response Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Filtered

This router doesn't appear to be anything to do with my ISP or my ITSP. However if I try and use the original server it still works fine, but the new server does this every time.

I've ensured STUN is setup and I've tried manually specifying the WAN IP which made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas as I've never seen that problem before.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: SIP - ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Filtered

So does it work fine on 3CX? The problem has started since you moved to sipXecs?

I have a company 3CX licence if you want to test your SIP on that.

Thanks to eblaster101

Over Carl (18th November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: SIP - ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Filtered

Forgot to come back to my own thread :oops

In the end it seemed to be a combination of issues.

The profiles generated by SipX for the Cisco 79xx are pretty poor. Plenty of features not configured, and the XML files it generate for the 7970 is only valid for SIP firmware 9.x

I persnally find the final 8.x (I think 8.5.4) to be the most usable so I had to edit my old config files I generated myself to use with 3cx rather than using the auto generated ones.

Secondly, I was using accounts I've had for a long time which I thought I knew the details for. However instead of specifying sip.voipcheap.co.uk as my outbound proxy, I accidently just used voipcheap.co.uk.

Don't ask me how on earth the trunk registered, but once I sorted the config file for phone and fixed my schoolboy error it startes to behave.

Do you mind if I ask about your 3cx:

How many registrations and what server hardware?
    How do you find the reliability?
    Have you figured out a way to setup a HA pair?

I hated early releases of 3cx as I had endless problems, but the latest version seems pretty stable and reliable. For now I'm having to go open source as I need approx 10 channels but have no money, but I would love to return to 3cx when funds allow as it is quite feature rich.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will be honest, I am new to 3CX scene, I primarily run an IT support company for SMEs. Telecoms is becoming such an IT job now that I decided to put money into building a telecoms platform in which I bill customers directly for Lines/Broadband.

Me and my partner went through so many free open source options for PBX and it was hit and miss. I dont think a perfect PBX solution exists. Because I am selling it to an end user I was reluctant to use a free PBX solution because of support and features. 3CX seems to deliver a workable solution in terms of mobile apps, outlook integration etc.

I decided it would be best to use VPS cloud servers to host the 3CX system instead of keeping it in house where you have to think about HA. We currently use OVH
    http://www.ovh.co.uk/vps/vps-cloud.xml and give the end user the SLA. Worse case scenario is that the sites broadband goes down. If that happens the system will automatically divert calls to the End users mobile phones. Or they can use the 3cx mobile app to answer calls.

Because we provide the SIP trunks we can divert the calls from the Trunk to a mobile phone if the server was to fail.

I have it currently running on VPS Cloud 2 with 3 other web services and it works fine. Only have 3 extensions though but the memory/cpu usage is very low with 3 simultaneous calls.

If you want a 3cx licence I am happy to give it to you at cost, as we get a discount of the sticker price on the site.

Thanks to eblaster101

Over Carl (18th November 2014)