Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News A1 road closed near Catterick after 'explosion'

A1 road closed near Catterick after 'explosion'

Police closed the road after an explosion was reported at 03:00 GMT

The A1 road has been closed at Catterick, North Yorkshire, after reports of an explosion.

North Yorkshire Police was alerted by staff at the Army's Marne Barracks, part of nearby Catterick Garrison, at 03:00 GMT, but has still not located an actual explosion site.
    The search is continuing in the area adjacent to the A1, and slip roads in and out of the village are also shut.
    Motorists have been advised to avoid the area.
    The force said Catterick village was "heavily congested".
    A spokeswoman for the Highways Agency said the closure affected a six-mile (10km) stretch of road.
    Newcastle United fans travelling to the away game with West Ham are among those affected.
    The club said it had notified West Ham officials of the situation.
    The A1 runs adjacent to the barracks, formerly RAF Catterick.

'Largest training establishment'

A spokeswoman for North Yorkshire Police said: "The search remains focused on the area outside of the barracks and the area adjacent to the A1, although at this stage, it cannot be ruled out that it has occurred within the boundary of the barracks.
    "The safety of members of the public, including passing motorists, is our prime concern and therefore all security precautions must be taken to protect members of the public until we find out exactly what has occurred."
    A spokesman for Catterick Garrison said the inquiry was police-led and did not have any information about how close the explosion was to the barracks.
    On the Ministry of Defence website, Catterick Garrison is described as the army's "largest training establishment".
    It covers 2,400 acres (971 hectares) and 20,000 acres (8,094 hectares) of training land.
    The garrison is situated just a few miles from the A1 and also includes the outstations of Ripon, Dishforth and Topcliffe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30258728
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A1 road closed near Catterick after 'explosion'

Something is being hushed up here either by the MOD or Police or even both.

All the squaddie Facebook groups know fuck all about this. Even people being stationed in Catterick heard fuck all.

Rumours have it the same thing was reported in Salford last week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...hester-4689011

Either terrorist or drop shorts (slang for Royal Artillery AKA Planks) have fucked up. What points against military for me is that it happened at 3 am.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

Bald Bouncer (29th November 2014),  Over Carl (29th November 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok please humour me - why would the timing suggest that it wasn't a military target?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Northernbloke View Post
    Ok please humour me - why would the timing suggest that it wasn't a military target?

3 in the morning would to me point at some pissed up squaddies fucking around with stolen ordnance after a night out at Scorpian's (Scab's) night club if it still exists.

In a few years time when records get released it will probably turn out fracking testing is behind it all.

Thanks to 4me2

Over Carl (29th November 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Detonators for explosives found next to the A1

Police investigating reports of an explosion in and around CatterickGarrison says they have found a number of ageing detonators alongside the A1 adjacent to Marne Barracks.
    These detonators are being removed by the army’s bomb disposal team to a safe area where a controlled explosion will take place.
    However a police spokesman insists that the detonators were NOT the cause of the original explosion reported by staff at the Marne Barracks at 3am.
    The search for the source of that explosion continues and the police say that the A1 will reopen when it is safe to do so.
    The road has been closed in both directions in the Catterick area since 3am.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/up...ext-to-the-a1/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Scabs is long gone so has Colburn Barracks where I spent my last few months in green