Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech iPhone 6 screen scratches very easily

In the space of a week my iPhone 6 has developed a ridiculous amount of micro-scratches or abrasions on the screen despite me babying it in cases and ensure that nothing hard (except my cock of course) comes into contact with the glass. I've never had this issue with my iphones 4, 5 and 5S.

Trawling about on the internet I can see that I'm not alone, almost 60 pages on the topic on Apple's forums with some people even managing to get it swapped out by Apple. Apparently the 6 and 6+ do not seem to have the same Gorilla Glass as previous models and also it appears that they've used a different type of Oleophobic coating, one that easily scratches off which might explain the problem.

Anyway I hate to be a snide cunt, but I might just have to invent another reason why Apple should replace it for me, but then I'll deffo slap on a screen protector (even though I hate them with a passion).

P.S It could be batch related since as many people don't seem to have the issue.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: iPhone 6 screen scratches very easily

Intermittent reboots are always a good non specific reason for exchange. Just make sure you disable diagnostics in settings menu first so they can't check it.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks to funkyg

GTI (4th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default iPhone 6 screen sratches very easily

Also, a problem with the iPhone 6 is that screen protectors don't cover to the very edge because of the curve in the glass. I still wouldn't use mine without one though.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: iPhone 6 screen sratches very easily

I bought a tempered glass protector for mine but on release day took an immediate disliking to it because of the curved glass so removed it and have just used a Tech21 D3O band case with no front or rear protection. My screen doesn't seem to have any major scratches, maybe one or two incredibly minor but for no protection it isn't that bad.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Diamond polishing paste (finer the better - got a scratch off my omega seamaster crystal with it) to get rid of the scratches then a spigen cover - they're really thin glass covers so feels the same just a touch thicker. Only thing is they supply them with really nasty cheap button covers (to raise the centre button up) or you can pay out extra for their brushed aluminium ones.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Diamond polishing paste (finer the better - got a scratch off my omega seamaster crystal with it) to get rid of the scratches then a spigen cover - they're really thin glass covers so feels the same just a touch thicker. Only thing is they supply them with really nasty cheap button covers (to raise the centre button up) or you can pay out extra for their brushed aluminium ones.
    that will remove the oleophobic coating on glass as same the AR coating on new seamasters and other coated devices i wouldn't recommend unless you decide to take all the coating off

that why displex which is the mobile phone version sell next to nothing now compared to the old days of scratch removal

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yup, but if you're putting a cover on it anyway the oleophobic cover isn't really an issue. My seamaster is from 2000 - the scrape (scrape more than a scratch) was far more noticable than being polished out, I also think it was pre AR coating on the outside.