Yongnuo Flash help

Thread: Yongnuo Flash help

Squizza said:

Default Yongnuo Flash help

Hey,

I purchased a Yongnuo YN-460 flash from Amazon for my 400D last week hoping it would help with some issues I have with the stock flash.
    The instructions are not great, but it is obvious how it goes on etc.. It was only cheap which I took meant it would be simple to just use.

My request for advice however is how do you really use it? Where should you point it? What mode should the camera be in.

I am doing some Google/YouTube research but I thought I would ask on here as we have quite a few professionals that might be able to give me a quick 'Put it in this setting and point here' reply.

Thanks all.

flipper321 said:

Default Re: Yongnuo Flash help

It doesn't have TTL so it requires manual power setting. Two options, light meter or guess work! With time your guesses will get better.

As for where to point it, depends what you are trying to do?

ilscuro said:

Buy a couple of Yongnuo flash triggers and get the flash off camera to start with, this will help immensely if you're shooting portraits.

I have a newer version than your flash that does TTL but i still almost always shoot in manual, start with a base iso of say 200, shutter speed 60-160 and then adjust your flash power and or aperture, or set your aperture and vary your shutter speed, depending on how much ambient light you want, and it really does depend on what you're shooting, like flipper says there is a lot of guess work until you get the settings you're happy with, but this method works for me.

Squizza said:

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it would be an out of the box solution without the learning.
    But hey, I am off work for a few weeks soon so will have plenty of time to play and get pictures of the cold/damp

Thanks again

crashtestmac said:

What are you trying to do with it....?

Best thing to do it point it at a wall behind or to the side and use that. You need to make the light as soft and directed as you can get get the best results.

That being said direct flash has its place.

What are you trying to do...

supraman54 said:

Once you get the flash triggers you won't look back.. so many combinations and getting away from head on flash which is creatively stifling.. good luck.
    I bought the 603 triggers

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Squizza said:

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post
    What are you trying to do with it....?

Best thing to do it point it at a wall behind or to the side and use that. You need to make the light as soft and directed as you can get get the best results.

That being said direct flash has its place.

What are you trying to do...
    With the built in flash I tend to find the background is too dark when trying to take photographs of the boy, either that or too much shadowing.
    I assumed a better flash would light up the room more to avoid this, but I find the camera is 'busy' a lot trying to use it.

There is a time and a place for dark backgrounds, but I was hoping one of these flashes would fix that problem.

Squizza said:

Quote Originally Posted by supraman54 View Post
    Once you get the flash triggers you won't look back.. so many combinations and getting away from head on flash which is creatively stifling.. good luck.
    I bought the 603 triggers

supe
    Will take a look now again. Want to make sure it will be the correct solution for me before purchasing. Are these going to help when I am at 'family dinners' in restaurants though?

crashtestmac said:

If you are using the pop up flash the power of it is hitting your child then falling off before the background.

The camera is exposing for the main subject.

Put the yongno flash on and point it at the ceiling or at 45 degrees behind you and try that....

Squizza said:

Thanks, will try that tonight.

Hope this solves the issue of me getting 'busy' on the camera a lot.

Squizza said:

For the sake of (another) 20, I have bought the 603 Triggers.

I take it I do not need to buy another flash though (yet) ?