Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Audi's Piloted Driving- This is futuristic shit... Could be available by 2016!

Just been reading up on this stuff from Audi called zFAS. Looks quite scary, yet neat at the same time. First question, who would insure it?

Concept
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

On the Track

Auto Park

Traffic!!

zFAS

Crazy talk? Discuss!
    Last edited by DejaVu; 16th December 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks to DejaVu

aceg3905 (16th December 2014) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Audi's Piloted Driving- This is futuristic shit... Could be available by 2016!

People have been able to demonstrate computer driven cars since the 80's (well that was when I was old enough to understand the idea being demonstrated on Tomorrow's World).

Is this ready to put on public roads and share them with normal cars and pedestrians? If so I'm very impressed, if not, wake me up when they are done. Anything less is interesting from a technology viewpoint but useless to Joe Public.

I believe Mercedes have had that traffic jam feature for a while, but I don't spend too long reading about top end new cars as all that does is make accessible cars seem pretty lame.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Audi's Piloted Driving- This is futuristic shit... Could be available by 2016!

It'll cost a fortune and then the price will double if you want the optional indicators on it. Plus, whereas it costs nothing to debadge a car, it'll probably cost a premium to de-cunt an Audi.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 27th December 2014 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So basically its for going slow in a traffic jam ,not exactly ground breaking ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure if it's released but friends dad has driven one, Jags have sensors that detect if you're approaching the car in front too fast and brake.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Not sure if it's released but friends dad has driven one, Jags have sensors that detect if you're approaching the car in front too fast and brake.
    Seen this on 5th gear the other week but not in a jag, it was on sum jap motor for under 8 grand

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes,but the first time these gadgets go wrong and its an expensive trip to the body shop. Had one of them mags at work the other week, explaining how insurance premiums will rise even for simple repairs, when a bumper repair might be a thing off the past as these sensors need to be pointing in the right direction and a flexing bumper or incorrectly aligned sensor could spell disaster.
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

Thanks to BIG-TED

Over Carl (26th December 2014) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the breaking one is more of an if you're not paying attention rather than something you rely on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Although I suppose their argument could be that if you have this tech, you aren't going to rear end anyone, so if some dozy fucker manages to hit your front end, they will pay for the repair.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's like most other tech on cars tc or parking sensors it can be switched to the less safe and in most cases twister of the truth, the driver. Was it on when you hit the tree, "yes of course". Mechanic spends 2 days trying to find a fault that's not there confronts customer to be told " Oh so that's what that button does." ;-) or my favourite "since you (did something not even to do with wheel alignment) my front tyres have worn on the edge". After a very quick examination to find wheel trim smashed and rim buckled, could you have hit the curb sir? " No is the reply"
    Last edited by BIG-TED; 26th December 2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Run your wife a nice hot bath, light some candles & pour some wine. Then you've at least 40 mins on the xbox plus a clean wife.

Experts... x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a fast drip.

Thanks to BIG-TED

Over Carl (27th December 2014) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post

My Range Rover had that back in 07, didn't do the steering bit though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Them videos mention nothing about sensors on the sides.. What stops these vehicles going into someone from the side?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    Is this ready to put on public roads and share them with normal cars and pedestrians? If so I'm very impressed, if not, wake me up when they are done. Anything less is interesting from a technology viewpoint but useless to Joe Public.
    I was thinking about this the other day, if they ever do perfect it you're going to get people just stepping out into the road to cross whenever they feel like it, safe in the knowledge that the computer will automatically stop the car unlike fallible humans.

Driving in towns will be one continuous cycle of stop start, stop start. (even more than now)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tomorrow's world, told us in the year 2000 we would all be flying about on jet packs guess how many people i see on them.

Sceptical but will keep drinking and see how my mind can be changed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mercedes had this a year ago and demonstrated it over a 64 mile journey. As far as I am aware the only thing currently holding them back is GPS coverage/infrastructure and current laws. They had to get some sort of special permission to be able to do it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't see this being live anytime soon for reasons as mentioned above.

But this is pretty fucking cool

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-TED View Post
    yes,but the first time these gadgets go wrong and its an expensive trip to the body shop. Had one of them mags at work the other week, explaining how insurance premiums will rise even for simple repairs, when a bumper repair might be a thing off the past as these sensors need to be pointing in the right direction and a flexing bumper or incorrectly aligned sensor could spell disaster.
    Actually I quite like this idea.

Once people realise small repairs may cost a fortune, I can see my phone getiing calls asking to disable the feature.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lots of cars have laser assisted braking already. Such as Nissans, Mercedes, Volvo, BMW - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Self driving cars are already on public roads in California. Google are looking to bring them to the UK next year.

Quote Originally Posted by neilb View Post
    I was thinking about this the other day, if they ever do perfect it you're going to get people just stepping out into the road to cross whenever they feel like it, safe in the knowledge that the computer will automatically stop the car unlike fallible humans.

Driving in towns will be one continuous cycle of stop start, stop start. (even more than now)
    Easily fixed by increasing punishments for such behaviour. The autonomous vehicles will be decked out in several cameras which will capture the person.