Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car smoke ban 'to start in October'

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Does this mean car manufactures will remove ashtrays from new cars ? ......... where the hell am I going to keep my spare change!!!!!!
    I think it's already going (gone?) that way. Not that I get a sniff near a new fucking car, but I did have a hire car recently that had "12V" on the cigar lighter instead of a smoking fag icon...

Thanks
    Karma Level

As a smoker I agree with the "possible new law", smoking with anyone in the car who's a none smoker is not on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Does this mean car manufactures will remove ashtrays from new cars ? ......... where the hell am I going to keep my spare change!!!!!!
    Good point.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Nah sorry mate in this day and age and what we know about smoking I don't think it is their right to abuse their kids health in this way. They should either put up or shut up though. A phased ban on the sale of tobacco products starting at 16....and increasing year on year so the current crop of kids will never be allowed to smoke. Not going to happen though - too much tax and brown envelopes involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbshark View Post
    What about the childs rights? does the parents rights to smoke in the car out weigh the childs rights to avoiding second hand smoke? forcing someone to breath in second hand smoke should be classed as assault.
    If someone forced you to take arsenic would you say that was their right to do so?
    I am looking more at the right to choose to do what you want. Smoking is the example here, but I'm looking beyond that. It is a persons right to smoke, in their home, in their car, anywhere that it's permitted. Even with their kids nearby. I'm not condoning doing it, but its one more thing that we are being told we cant do. And will be charged for doing it.

You can talk all day about what is good and bad, healthy not healthy but ultimately its down to the individual. And when you take away the right to choose that's not right in my opinion.

Aside from the fact that anyone who smokes in their car with kids, will likely also smoke in the home with them. Maybe even if a woman, during the actual pregnancy...

My concern with this, and anything like it is the misuse, misinterpretation and incompetance by those that will attempt to enforce it.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Northernbloke (20th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Anyone who smokes with a kid in their car is a cunt fullstop.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That's the truth.

And also why this ban is bollocks. If they smoke in the car with their kids it's also very likely that they subject them to 'abuse' in other ways. Particularly with diet. Maybe we need to ban kids from eating McDonalds or fizzy drinks or Playstations? It's a pointless ban. Any decent parent who smokes, already smokes in places which doesn't affect others. Those who do, do so through selfishness or lack of education. They will also neglect their kids in many various other ways.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I am looking more at the right to choose to do what you want. Smoking is the example here, but I'm looking beyond that.

What your getting at is right. Everyone should have the right to choose. But at what point should that right be taken away?

In the case we have here its the smoker who is having their rights taken away by this new law. Looking at the other side of the table though is a child who doesn't want to breath in the toxins. Without the law the child's choice to not breathe it in as been taken away.

Choice is an illusion. you may think you are given a choice when you have really been led to the path that you will choose.
    bbshark. The Member with the first ever DF Fine

http://digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=451657

Thanks
    Karma Level

If they really had the nation's health concerns at heart they would put a total ban on smoking and I don't really think a child passive smoking in a car even comes close to doing the damage all the pollution they inhale each day does to them, I agree with the people who have stated people who are willing to do this no doubt also smoke in the house along with other forms of neglect.

I am with DJ Overdose on this and agree it will be open to misuse, misinterpretation, manipulation and incompetance by those that will attempt to enforce it

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

Northernbloke (20th December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Could also be to do with everyone driving even half a mile now. When I was a kid in secondary school 90's, nobody got driven to school (unless late/broken ankle etc) - now the same school, I believe same intake, trying to drive past it during end /start of school is a nightmare and so is the first couple hundred meters down my folks road.

People probably spend longer looking for a spot to park and driving to/from their house than it takes to walk.

3 Thanks given to blacksheep

4me2 (20th December 2014),  Bald Bouncer (20th December 2014),  Geko (21st December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it was also illegal to drive diesel/petrol engine cars I would say it makes a lot of sense.

Even if you had 5 people chainsmoking through a whole journey, it will be nothing compared to what the car puts out in the same time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Could also be to do with everyone driving even half a mile now. When I was a kid in secondary school 90's, nobody got driven to school (unless late/broken ankle etc) - now the same school, I believe same intake, trying to drive past it during end /start of school is a nightmare and so is the first couple hundred meters down my folks road.

People probably spend longer looking for a spot to park and driving to/from their house than it takes to walk.

People also used to live near their school. Now everyone is fighting for the best schools (this is a whole different conversation) and therefore can end up driving 10 miles to the best school in their area. I also walked to school and my boys also walk to school. Although they are lucky that it is financially viable for them to live near a good school. A good local school boosts already over inflated house prices.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post
    People also used to live near their school. Now everyone is fighting for the best schools (this is a whole different conversation) and therefore can end up driving 10 miles to the best school in their area. I also walked to school and my boys also walk to school. Although they are lucky that it is financially viable for them to live near a good school. A good local school boosts already over inflated house prices.
    It may be the case near you but I know my area nearly every day I pass a minimum of 4 people putting the kids in the car to the same school I am dropping my daughter off at, you could think well maybe they are driving onto work but even that does not wash as it's quicker to walk there and back than drive, also really steams my shit people parking on the zigzag lines outside the school when the exact reason for them being there is to stop people parking there while kids are arriving and departing from school yet they all seem to think that as they will only be a couple of minutes it does not apply to them.

LAZY CUNTS BREEDING LAZY CUNT KIDS

2 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

BIG-TED (21st December 2014),  Geko (21st December 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

^^

Bit of both, if I'm honest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Geko View Post

Might have agreed with you if this was a town but seriously you can walk across the longest populated length of this place in less than 30 mins (I'd say max walk to school 15-20 mins from anywhere), the rest of the intake is from surrounding little villages which get busses in. There's been no change as far as I'm aware to intake that would require kids to need their own transport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12