Close

Thread: BBC Free Speech

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info BBC Free Speech

I know it's from last year but I have only just seen it so thought I would share.

On Tuesday's show on
    BBC Three, a viewer asked 'Why are there so many programmes about benefit cheats, when the ones who steal the most from the welfare state are the bankers and big corporations?' - here's what happened

10 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

Ashley (11th January 2015),  billynoguts (11th January 2015),  evilsatan (11th January 2015),  Mobileman (11th January 2015),  Over Carl (12th January 2015),  pattikins (12th January 2015),  piggzy (11th January 2015),  Rick Sanchez (11th January 2015),  supraman54 (11th January 2015),  Wizzo (12th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BBC Free Speech

Didn't see this first time round some good points made!

Thanks to billynoguts

Bald Bouncer (11th January 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

very true, until political parties are funded another way or capped etc then its not going to change
    Last edited by Mobileman; 11th January 2015 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks to Mobileman

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep seen that when it aired last year. I have been banging on about that Owen Jones. He is a very good thinker and speaker for the working classes IMHO. His detractors point out that he offers no "fix".....but if you listen to him (as in the clip above) he does actually put forward very good sensible ideas about how we get out of the mess we are in......never going to happen though all the time the sheep listen to the media and in turn blame the "lazy scrounger" for the countries problems.

2 Thanks given to DavidF

4me2 (11th January 2015),  Bald Bouncer (11th January 2015)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

There was a good programme on Thursday night on BBC 2 called "The Super-Rich and Us". It's worth a watch on iPlayer and the second part is broadcast this Thursday coming at 9pm.

Anyway, Owen Jones has written a book called "Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class" - has anyone read it?
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

2 Thanks given to beansontoast

Bald Bouncer (11th January 2015),  DavidF (11th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    His detractors point out that he offers no "fix"....

Sounds familiar...!

Just because you don't have the solution doesn't mean you can't talk about the problem.

Thanks to Geko

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent.. thanks for that BB lots of good points were made and I'm glad I got to watch it..

supe
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2920820230.png

Thanks to supraman54

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've not seen that so thx for the heads up, confirms what I already knew but nice to see it being discussed more openly.

That last text saying the upper class tell the middle class the lower class are to blame couldn't have put it more simpler.

Thanks to Rhinoz

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have always avoided these benefit programs as I see them as more of a propaganda exercise, I am not blind or ignorant to the fact we have a section of the population that are workshy scrounging scum who breed similar scum and I am sure we all know people like that but they are not representative of the majority of the unemployed population but always seem to be the ones they seek out when creating 'benefit' programs. They are not the cause of the shit we are in now nor are they the solution.

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

4me2 (11th January 2015),  DavidF (11th January 2015),  Rhinoz (12th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    There was a good programme on Thursday night on BBC 2 called "The Super-Rich and Us". It's worth a watch on iPlayer and the second part is broadcast this Thursday coming at 9pm.

Anyway, Owen Jones has written a book called "Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class" - has anyone read it?
    I have read Chavs and it's a bloody good read - opens your eyes (If they weren't already) to how things are with an us/them scenario. I haven't got round to reading his second book yet but I will in the next few weeks im sure.It's called " The Establishment: And How They Get Away with it".
    @BB when you say about the scroungers not being the solution.......I couldn't just thank it - when you look at that debt clock somewhere on the web.....you realise that no matter anyones opinion on the super rich and weather they pay enough tax already ect ect ect......The ONLY way we are going to balance the debt repayment IS to close down tax loopholes. Things are going to get very messy before the super rich "elite" actually realise that they are going to have to step up to the plate. We are still heading headlong straight into a insurance based NHS....getting more and more like the usa every day.
    There is a question that needs asked - Do we want and value GOOD public services ? If the answer is YES then we are going to have to pay....via tax increases to fund them properly.

2 Thanks given to DavidF

Bald Bouncer (11th January 2015),  beansontoast (16th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do we want and value GOOD public services ? If the answer is YES then we are going to have to pay....via tax increases to fund them properly.
    90% of my wages already goes to the Government, through some tax or other. I can't give a lot more. A flat rate for all, would be my preference. No loop holes. If we all gave 50% they'd be enough for a leading edge NHS and all the other services we've become used to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have read Chavs and it's a bloody good read - opens your eyes (If they weren't already) to how things are with an us/them scenario. I haven't got round to reading his second book yet but I will in the next few weeks im sure.It's called " The Establishment: And How They Get Away with it".
    @BB when you say about the scroungers not being the solution.......I couldn't just thank it - when you look at that debt clock somewhere on the web.....you realise that no matter anyones opinion on the super rich and weather they pay enough tax already ect ect ect......The ONLY way we are going to balance the debt repayment IS to close down tax loopholes. Things are going to get very messy before the super rich "elite" actually realise that they are going to have to step up to the plate. We are still heading headlong straight into a insurance based NHS....getting more and more like the usa every day.
    There is a question that needs asked - Do we want and value GOOD public services ? If the answer is YES then we are going to have to pay....via tax increases to fund them properly.
    I agree as does logic and credible economists, I keep seeing the arguments on unemployed, scroungers, benefit cheats etc etc but if you remove the emotive part that often drives the argument and is fueled by the media there is a sound logic on this not being any solution as the money paid in benefits etc is circulated within a community and helps drive it not lost from the economy. I was trying to think of an apt analogy to explain it and for want of a better one imagine the UK as a house and outside that house is the rest of the world, then imagine money is heat so heat given within the house and circulated within the house is good but if you leave a window open and the heat escapes it is lost forever.

Not a great analogy I agree but all money lost to companies not registered in the UK and tax avoidance with money banked in other countries is lost forever from our economy and this window not only needs shutting it has to be shut as it will only get worse, the Government have quantitative easing and understand the need to fuel the economy with funds to keep the circulation going and this is in reality printing money then giving it to the banks in return for magic beans (toxic almost worthless debt) in the hope they lend it out to the public but this just does not happen and I am still at a loss as to why they don't cut out the middleman (banks) and start some quantitative easing house building schemes although I suspect the reason is dark

3 Thanks given to Bald Bouncer

burner1 (11th January 2015),  Mobileman (11th January 2015),  tombott (12th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

The biggest problem with this country is it's population. Too many people don't have a clue or interest about the real issues that ultimately affect us all regarding Politics/ Finance etc. in the way BB describes as 'lost heat': as long as a certain issue isn't affecting us to the point we realise it is taking a strain on our own personal circumstances, then we don't bother to address it to any strength... complacency I guess.

To my mind, the last real upset this country seen was the Poll Tax because it personally affected so many people in seeming unfair and many of those people made a stand... and a difference.

Thanks to burner1

Thanks
    Karma Level

Owen Jones should be heading up the Labour party and it should be full of like minded individuals.
    Instead that cunt Blair hijacked the party and it is now infested with Tory puppets pretending to be working class, in reality the vast majority are Murdoch's minions.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

2 Thanks given to 4me2

DavidF (11th January 2015),  elephantsoup (12th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    ..... and many of those people made a stand... and a difference.
    Did it really make a difference because as we all know the charge was replaced by the council tax in 1993.