Close

View Poll Results: which would you choose?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50" low spec

18 48.65%
  • 40" high spec

19 51.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default which would you choose a big but low spec telly or a smaller higher spec telly

We were talking about this at work today after they had to buy a new tv for the waiting room, with 50" tellys going for £350ish but being low spec (no smart functions or 3d) and higher spec 40" including both smart and 3d going for £400ish which would you choose? (they'd both be 1080p)

Personally I went with the lower spec but bigger telly due to being half blind and 3d not working and i've already got a smart telly that i've used the smart functions on all of twice,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: which would you choose a big but low spec telly or a smaller higher spec telly

Got a 3dtv quickly got bored of that. Never had a smart tv and would never need one, have a complete sky tv package, ps4 for YouTube etc, a mede8er for my massive movie library, I bought a samsung around 5 years back, at the time it was one of the cheaper ones at around 700 quid, it's been faultless up to now, I do want to upgrade as the bezel is about 2 inch thick all around the tv and now the frames are tiny, can't justify buying a new tv for that alone though

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: which would you choose a big but low spec telly or a smaller higher spec telly

3d is a bull shit fad and any tv can be made smart if needed so me I'd go for the one with better resolution and colour levels and probably bigger size of screen spec was similar

Thanks
    Karma Level

That was my thinking, I think the only thing that would make me upgrade is 4k and theres nothing to watch other than a couple of netflix shows and some bits off youtube, and my life wouldnt be worth living it'd be "oh it doesnt look any different to the old telly" just like it was with this one for months on end

Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends more than just the gizmos - picture quality and processing etc. hard one to answer, maybe if you gave 2 example TVs?

Thanks
    Karma Level

to tell you the truth mate we never got that far, it wasn't our pick of what telly they replaced the old one with

ive just nicked these off currys site as they fill the rough specs
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...pdt.html#cat-0
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...26196-pdt.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck 3d and Smart TV's. Go for picture quality all day long.

3 Thanks given to TJB

casio (21st January 2015),  ivrytwr3 (21st January 2015),  stevo25 (21st January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bigger is always better, I have a 4 yo 60" LG plasma and I love it. Picture quality is pretty much a given these days, all the major brands produce decent images and bullshit reviews do little to help as they're often squabbling over a few % difference aka the law of diminishing returns.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would buy a better spec telly and if needed smaller for the price, If you get a big cheap TV the picture might suffer

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hey,

I have always bought the one with the best picture. Smart features are not important because there are so many devices out there to get you what you need and I have never ever used 3D nor do I really intend to.
    The best TV I ever bought was a Pioneer Kuro Plasma, any TV nut job will tell you how good these were.. The worst was a 19" Tesco job to work as a monitor/TV in the spare room... Horrible colours that cannot be adjusted to work as you would like.

If it is expensive then it is expensive for a good reason.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends what you are doing on it, I love my films so when I got my TV a few years ago I went for a 50" which was the first THX approved model, it cost significantly more than other 50" and even some 60" TVs but I wanted the picture quality to enjoy my films on.

I wouldn't be too concerned about smart features, I know they have gotten better but still some are integrated poorly and lacking updates. You can always add smart options with a Chromecast, HTPC etc. but you can't add picture quality and reliability afterwards.

Thanks to evilsatan

flik (24th January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

U got to also take into account the quality of the internals, the cheap Sony/Samsung/Pana TV's you see in Tesco etc are made with completely inferior parts and therefor more prone to failure (will usually last the warranty period)

The more expensive TV's have a higher build quality using more like airport tv quality components which will last years when on 24/7.

Out of those 2 tvs its a no brainer 40 all the way, better quality picture, better sound, wifi, Smart TV and the area difference between a 40" and a 50" is about 0.2 metres squared which isn't that much to sacrifice for the extras you are getting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    U got to also take into account the quality of the internals, the cheap Sony/Samsung/Pana TV's you see in Tesco etc are made with completely inferior parts and therefor more prone to failure (will usually last the warranty period)

The more expensive TV's have a higher build quality using more like airport tv quality components which will last years when on 24/7.
    With a little work you can get any model price matched by John Lewis and then you have a rock solid 5 year warranty to fall back on. I agree with everything else in this thread... SMART Functions, 3D, Curved etc.. Fuck Off.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

If this TV for work, Go for big cheapest, as you be too busy working. If this for yourself then best thing to save a bit more with a bigger size and better picture. I not sure how long TV are Kent to last now days. But remember you have to live with it over a few years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Interesting poll resutls so far, 50/50.

I would go for smaller, but not interested in 3D. Smart functionality I would be a bit meh... Only thing I might care about is built in Plex and Netflix. But I have a PC, Sky HD, Apple TV and NowTV(Retired for hte time being) all connected to my tv. My TV which is a 6 year old 27inch LCD...

Personally I don't see what justifies spending lots on a TV. A decent picture and speakers that don't sound like a clapped out 80's ghetto blaster.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can make a dumb-TV smarter (Chromecast, WD TV etc..) and you can beef up the sound with a decent soundbar and sub. However you can never make a smaller TV bigger... well perhaps with one of these (as seen in a small village in Egypt where several dozen people were watching a football match off a 14" telly).

-Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fresnel lens?

Thanks
    Karma Level

As has been mentioned I think picture quality is pretty much the same across the board, the thing that made the biggest difference to my impressions of a telly weren't the size or the spec of the telly its my glasses, I had my eyes tested about this time last year and it was like going from sd to hd again

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it's for an office, go cheap. If it's for home, go expensive.

Thanks to cyprus

casio (23rd January 2015)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wouldn't worry about smart feature - my 5 yo panny is smart but it an unused gimmick as it won't read most of the file formats you'd want and they never upgraded it. The 1 yo version though is a lot better and will happily stream from my meadiaserver. Picture quality all the way for me, I'l rather have a 40" with a sharp picture than 60" with naff colours etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast